PC streamer.

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

Neal wrote:I found iTunes a PIA on XP but its perfectly fine on my Mac with Snow Leopard ;)
Same here
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

So, as I'm on XP, sounds like i tunes is worth avoiding.

Thanks for honest comments guys. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

SteveTheShadow wrote:
floppybootstomp wrote:
I will comment on I-Tunes though, please allow a little artistic licence ;) My comment? I-Tunes is crap.

Must be it's Apple

floppybootstomp wrote:And IMHO Win 7 is good..
Can't be it's Windows
Now now.

Hopefully I-Tunes does not represent Apple OS's as a whole. I can't really comment as I've never used an Apple OS for any length of time.

But I-Tunes, within Windows at least, is, imho, crap. I may compose a lengthy diatribe and post elsewhere about this, we shall see.

I will not deride Apple as a whole but the latest debacle with the I-Phone G4S, IoS5, short battery life and all the other inherent problems makes me doubtful of Apple software as a whole.

As for Microsoft, I hate them, simple as that. But as it's the mainstream OS of majority choice and me being an avid PC gamer then I have to use it.

XP was pretty good but it's 10 years old now, hopelessly outdated. Vista was a pile of poo so those twerps at Redmond revamped it, called it Win 7 and without bias I'd say it operates very well.

What I don't like is Microsoft's almost criminal practices of stamping out any rivals in the bud and their almost fanatical desire to dominate all software by fair means or foul, take note of the many legal actions against them, some successful.

On the same note, look at Apple's implementation of DRM, particularly prevalent in I-Tunes.

I do like Linux but Ubuntu's latest incarnation is worrying, seems it's trying to emulate Apple and Android. And anyway, I'm not nerdy enough yet to have mastered console commands completely or, for that matter, be able to use Slackware or compile my own kernel. But, slowly, I'm getting there.

If games publishers made Linux compatible versions alongside the Windows versions of their games I'd drop Microsoft like a hot brick.

But, getting back to the point, following XP and Vista, Win 7, comparitively, is very good indeed. Microsoft, for all their nastiness, do at least make a very user friendly OS.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

floppybootstomp wrote:
SteveTheShadow wrote:
floppybootstomp wrote:
I will comment on I-Tunes though, please allow a little artistic licence ;) My comment? I-Tunes is crap.

Must be it's Apple

floppybootstomp wrote:And IMHO Win 7 is good..
Can't be it's Windows
Now now.
Was just being ironic :)
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Having converted to a MacBook Air at the start of the year I wouldn't go back to a) a PC or b) Windows OS even though Win 7 is good. Also Apple removed DRM from iTunes music some time ago under the fairplay rules but still 'watermark' the tracks. Tried Ubuntu, many different versions, but always ended up removing it, its just not ready for a prime time DeskTop OS IMHO.
Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

Bootcamp was the game changer for me. There are a few things that I want to do that are only available under windows (e.g. PSUD, some games). I just boot the iMac into windows. My iMac is probably the best windows machine I've had. I prefer to use OSX, and only use Windows when I have to.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

ive set up an apple tv as a music streamer today, missus got me one for christmas and it was the most trouble free installation of any audio component i think ive ever had.

plugged it into the tv, it immediately found the wifi network and asked for the password, asked for the itunes account password and then worked. no messing at all.

optical cable out the back into mi old mans old beresford dac then some long cables from there to the amp (its at the other end of the room) and roberts your fathers brother.

im running itunes on vista on the laptop and have no issues with it. tbh im not sure why the squeezebox wouldnt work with anything bigger than an mp3, cos this has worked with every file type i threw at it.

im very pleased with it :D and i bought alice coopers newest album off the itunes store and loved it too :D

seriously phil, id consider an apple tv as an entry level music streamer, just needs itunes on the computer and away you go
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Well, in my (considerable :wink:) ignorance I thought an Apple TV was a television.

Why can't they use names that don't confuse ? :?

Edmund Burke

ed
retired

Post by ed »

I've seen lots of apple computers on the television over Christmas, and they've all had the dell logo next to the apple logo..........

what's that all about(question mark)
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

I've just checked out the Apple TV thingie, I had no idea such a device existed. For the price it does look to be very good indeed (£99). But it wants I-Tunes to run..... ;)

But seriously, it does look like a fine device, probably a better bet than spending £70 on a Win 7 OS
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

this is it, mine is the second gen one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Just got a Logitech Radio for the Kitchen, bloomin' marvellous! Internet radio and playback from the music server, never seen the wife so happy! :lol: £85 off Amazon...RRP approx £140
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Amazon prices pretty good atm, just ordered a pair of purple DM's from them for £73, they be £90 at Camden and Greenwich and silly prices at Covent garden.

Oops, off topic, sorry :D
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

floppybootstomp wrote:Amazon prices pretty good atm, just ordered a pair of purple DM's from them for £73, they be £90 at Camden and Greenwich and silly prices at Covent garden.

Ooh, nice one. :wink:

Edmund Burke

floppybootstomp
Old Hand

pre65 wrote:
floppybootstomp wrote:Amazon prices pretty good atm, just ordered a pair of purple DM's from them for £73, they be £90 at Camden and Greenwich and silly prices at Covent garden.

Ooh, nice one. :wink:

Nah, not that one, what kind of cheap tart do you think I am?

Me got darker non glossy ones that only big butch super macho 100% hetero dudes like myself wear.

My last pair lasted five years then died, they came from Camden. I couldn't part with them - I watched Amy Winehouse wearing that footwear - so now they are filled with potting compost and are growing plants on my patio.

Soon me get brand new pair, me happy bunny.