Raspberry Pi

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
shane
Social outcast

#1 Raspberry Pi

Post by shane »

I don't pretend to know much about computers, and even less about Linux, but this looks as though it could be really useful to anyone building a server for streaming and so on. Does anyone know any more about it?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes, saw this on AOS too. Looks very cheap if you know Linux.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Cute!
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

So do I take it the linux is in the ROM and that if I connect an hdmi TV a usb keyboard and a SD card I have a puter?

Crikey when I am working away I could teather it to the android phone fer t'internet plug an hdmi lead into their tell plug in my usb keyboard and I have something far more useful than my phone as a puter for little money and little weight space in luggage. saves me buying a tablet and less cumborsome than my stoneage overweight laptop.

Very interesting.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

I think it comes with an SD card to boot from.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I see, so extra capacity would have to go on the usb.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

This looks like it's going to be worth watching. They developed it as a tool to teach kids programming, but everyone I've mentioned it to has had a reaction like Paul's. I wonder if they may have underestimated potential demand?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

The first ten pre-production boards are now on ebay. Some people seem to be getting quite serious about them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180786734741? ... 500wt_1413

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180786751081? ... 500wt_1415
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

They are charitable bids though...but no Warranty or support :shock:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Good enough way to let people support the project and give them something original in return.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

RS just sent me an email saying there had been a techy (sic) hiccup with the first batch of RPs, so there may be a slight delay in shipping orders......

however, on the 13th March they had so far got 200,000 prospective orders and it was growing at 10 per minute.......don't know about the Farnell figure but it seems like lots, many many lots.....

I'd love to know how many Nascom1s were shipped in 1977 when I bought my first micro kit. Fwiw it didn't benchmark very well against the 1904S that I was used to at the time.....but I bet the RP will be faster than the 1904 even when its not switched on.....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisp ... aspberrypi

That's the B model btw.

I'll get one of these (assuming there are enough to go round) just for the sheer fun of it and designing an enclosure could be interesting.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

I have one on order from Farnell but expected delivery is July. :cry:
James
User

Post by James »

Tony Moore wrote:I have one on order from Farnell but expected delivery is July. :cry:
Me too :(

James