Hello from Jakarta

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Dgentolet wrote:Cressy,
Considering the price different of around US$ 1000 and sound improvement, it is really worth to use NOS version.
If that the case,
You may be better off never hearing a nos pair. (not entirly joking).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

The KR ones may be very good. Their 300B's are excellent and mine have done 3500 hours + with no problems . Still, I'm sure original PX25's will still be the best sound-wise .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Nick wrote:
Considering the price different of around US$ 1000 and sound improvement, it is really worth to use NOS version.
If that the case,
You may be better off never hearing a nos pair. (not entirly joking).
Tend to agree with that. :roll:
Dgentolet
User

Post by Dgentolet »

You guys really drive me crazy to the PX25 NOS :D
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

You might like to ask yourself a question.

Why, if the NOS PX25 is supposed to be so good, does no one on this forum actually (at this very moment) use them. :wink: :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I can answer for myself only.

Because in the past when I brought them to events on two occasions the filaments broke. A further one broke at home. All of these were balloon's.
the breakages were not due to operating point they were due to transporting them. I would never post a pair and I would never pay for a pair which would be posted to me.

So I made a decision 5 years ago that they never get transported anywhere due to the difference between their value with an intact fimalent and their value with a broken filament.

I like their sound better than the 2a3 px4 300b (proper original Western electric, not recently made Western Electric) and GET4C. The only valve of similar standing in my heart is the oxide coated 211 and the VT25/VT62.

today would I buy a pair of nos ballon px25's?

NO, for my budget price has exceeded the difference in sound benefit over afforementioned valves.

Would I sell any? Yes at full market price to someone who turns up at my door with cash listens to them at that moment and the moment they leave my hands (not my property), full responsibility for their condition rests with the new owner. Otherwise they will sleep safely in their drawer.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

pre65 wrote:You might like to ask yourself a question.

Why, if the NOS PX25 is supposed to be so good, does no one on this forum actually (at this very moment) use them. :wink: :)
I think our Steve S does though. But if I had Steve's valve collection I might too.

Their sound quality is without doubt, but the only pair I've seen for sale was in Akihabara priced at a cool thousand quid. Scarcity and desirability force the price inevitably.

Or do you go for GM70s say, £25 a pair last time I looked and literally rooms full laying around the old soviet empire. Might not sound as good maybe but much easier to replace. You pays yer money and makes yer choice.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Much the same reason why there are not many Ferrari owners around. Can't be used to infer that they ain't no good.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote:Much the same reason why there are not many Ferrari owners around. Can't be used to infer that they ain't no good.
True, but high price and limited availability does not (necessarily) make them (Ferrari) the best. :wink:

I'm not sure I would recommend a monkey type circuit to someone who is just a circuit copier (forgive me if that's a wrong assumption) as unless you copy everything 100% things can easily go wrong.

When I was "monkeying about" it was most frustrating how changing one thing messed up other areas.

Is there a "classic" PX25 circuit to help this new member achieve his ambition ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dgentolet
User

Post by Dgentolet »

Paul, have you compared the sound of PX25 NOS with 2A3 single plate ?

If PX25 NOS is such a fragile tube, it is really scary.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote:Is there a "classic" PX25 circuit to help this new member achieve his ambition ?
I found this, Wireless World circa 1934 :?:

http://mike.wepoco.com/Home/retro-geeke ... -Amplifier

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

If that the case,
that depends on how much spare cash you have...

the diffence between nos striaght sided px 25's and the old globes is quite a step, but building a first amp and expecting to get it to sound as close to as good as the valve could be.. is a challange,

the driver valves/ power supply/ rectifier valves/ output transformers/ method and quality of the valve coupling all have some quite dramatic effects, i`ve been using px4 and px25 for quite a few years and the sound of my amps has changed so much... whilst still using the same valves...

try building steve's 'rocky', with trioded kt66 or el34 for starters if you have not built anything before..
once you get that right you can progress on to the px 25, its really not any more difficult to build with .. but mistakes can be costly..

if you are an expert builder, i can supply some old px25's at reasonble rates.. i have a few..

cheers
steve
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Dgentolet wrote:Paul, have you compared the sound of PX25 NOS with 2A3 single plate ?

If PX25 NOS is such a fragile tube, it is really scary.
Not at the same time on the same system. But they are not similar the 2a3 is more like a PX4.

It will be considered by most be an unreliable general view but IMHO YMMV TIOLI PX4 has better high's, PX25 makes PX4 sound fat, but px4 makes 300b sound fat. Each step is an upgrade. Ultimate is balloon PX25. More like a 45 than a 2a3 but with greater power.

I doubt it is more fragile than any other valve of the same age.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Paul,

It would be good for you (or actually for us) if you could change your plans and turn up at Owston on Saturday or Sunday. If you don't you'll be missed.

Greg
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

steve s wrote:[
if you are an expert builder, i can supply some old px25's at reasonble rates.. i have a few..

cheers
steve
Don't get me thinking again Steve :)