Hello from Doncaster

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
bostod
User

#1 Hello from Doncaster

Post by bostod »

Hello everyone.
my real Name is Dave and i live just outside Doncaster. Imagine my delight when i noticed that a meet was scheduled not to far away from me.
My experience with DIY HIFI is extremely limited. i have bought some ready made kits from Diyparadise and put them in a box. just a case of soldering some wires really.
i would love to learn some basics, especially power supplies. they seem simple enough and hopefully i can progress from there. i have no electronics background but like the idea of building my own amp and dac one day. it would also be nice to tweak some stuff with a small understanding of what i am doing.
My musical tastes are varied and tend to be weighted towards ballads, simple rock, especially the older British stuff and vocal lead music.
my current system comprises of an old pair of TDL RTL 3's with improved tweeter and crossover. a custom built tripath 3020 amp and a Beresford caiman dac connected to a cd player, computer or squeezebox touch.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Hello! Image

Here begins the slippery slope :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Well Dave, there's a few of us in the Yorkshire crew. There's a couple as close as Mexborough, and me, in Donny :)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Hi Dave, welcome to the menagerie. I use a touch too, and am currently messing with a couple of bantam gold amps, running some open baffle speakers. you'll be able to hear them at the do.
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

I am really looking forward to hearing the open baffle sound. I have read allot about them without hearing what they are like. I am also looking forward to maybe trying a good quality power supply with my caiman Dac too see what the difference in sound is like
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Well they are certainly different from conventional box speakers. Not to everyone's taste, but a lot of folk here like them. WAF can be a problem!

I should have a suitable PS to try on your Caiman, remind me nearer the time and I'll bring it along.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Hello there :D

I won't be at the meet, strange things happen to my body if I venture north of Watford unfortunately. I blame aliens.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony