Ali's new travelling partners

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Hi Ali,

Yes it is rather tasty isn't it.

The only problem for me is choosing which section of the veneer to use for the actual speakers. The veneer leaves being 160cm long and the speakers being only 36cm high :roll:

Me thinks I'll enrole the view of Lynn when she gets in from work for a females eye point-of-view.

But with me having 6 matched panels doing a fully book matched pair of cabinets is no problem. And they should look rather splendid with the gold cones of the Alpair 7.3 drivers.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Well now these have taken quite a while for the oil to fully dry on this Ziricote veneer. I think it may be the resonous nature of the wood. I do seem to recall having similar issues with the Santos Rosewood veneer on my Edales.

Still they have now had a couple coats - after leaving for a couple of days between coats - and a I light wax polish to buff them up so not to be over glossy.

I must say they have come out a lot darker in colour than I imagined. But having tried several other finishes both the missus and me agreed the oil was by far the nicer finish. I tried:

1) Acrylic matt varnish; - Looked wishy washy and dried with a slight milky sheen though not as dark as polyurethane varnish. Horrid!

2) Acrylic Satin varnish; - Again dried with a slightly milky sheen. A little better look to the grain structure in the finish. Similar colouring to matt varnish above but still horrid!

3) Gloss polyurethane varnish; This dried a similar darkness and sheen as the oil but on this type veneer really needs to be sprayed on to achieve anywhere near a decent finish. Better than the above two but still not asgood as the oil.

4) Liberon Finishing Oil; - This by far gave the best results and though finishing darker than I had hoped does bring out the best qualities of the grain structure.

5) Straight wax finish; - This went on as dark as the oil and poly varnish, but dried as though nothing had been added to the bare veneer. When buffed up only gave a slight sheen to the bare wood. Did nothing for the lustre of the veneer.

Anyway I do hope Ali likes the look, but I do wonder whether he expected them to turn out quite so dark?

The photos don't do justice (now where have I heard that before?) and they do look rather classy in the flesh. You'll all be able to judge for yourselves when I hand them over to Ali at the Owston meet.

By-the-way the photos are of the speakers on the stands from my Edales ontp with cardboard boxes to bring the tweeters up to listening height. As to now I have not had a serious listen just enough to make sure they work and are in phase! They are playing through a SS amp with CD on continous play. I'll leave them like this till this evening when I sit down and report back how they sound. Initial impressions though are good.

Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Colin, they look fantastic! You've done a superb job as usual. Can't wait to see them in the flesh. :D
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Phew! That's a big relief Ali.

I've resisted posting up earlier build photos as I wasn't sure you were expecting them to be so dark. I'll rest a lot easier tonight. :D
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Ali,

You'll have to have a wee think about some carry cases.

Perhaps a word with DTB and a copy his plans (if any) for the ones he did for his original Fonkens?

I have just received the new 2012 Monacor catalogue. They have some rather nice flight cases in both aluminium and plastic for stage equipment and the like. I'll check on sizes and prices if they have anything suiltabley sized.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

They are darker than I was expecting, but they still look great Colin, I'm very happy with the look.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Toppsy wrote:Ali,

You'll have to have a wee think about some carry cases.

Perhaps a word with DTB and a copy his plans (if any) for the ones he did for his original Fonkens?

I have just received the new 2012 Monacor catalogue. They have some rather nice flight cases in both aluminium and plastic for stage equipment and the like. I'll check on sizes and prices if they have anything suiltabley sized.

That would be good Colin, otherwise just as we discussed, an oblong open top box with a handle sticking up out of the middle, so the speakers fit either side of the handle.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

OK. The speakers have now been running continuous for 5-hours. I've had me tea (takeaway chinky) and have spent the last ¾ hr listening to them.

As expected they have very similar sound properties to my FH3 speakers with the Alpairs. Imaging is very good and pin point. Bass is improving but not as good as the FH3, but inline with the other Fonken style cabinets that I have previously built. ie In so much as to say the bass in this style cabinet though being a little tighter does not go so deep or low as other designs with the same driver. However, the drivers have only had 5-hrs so lots of improvements to come.

I must say I have just been enjoying listening to Peter Gabriel 'No Self-Control' from his 'HIT' double CD. 8) So much so I had to crank up the volume some. :D . The imaging was really superb and the bass rythems better than I had anticipated. The song simply just had my feet tapping along with the music.

So I think for their intended use Ali is gonna love these.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

I'm sure I will Colin. If they sound as good as they look, I'll be very happy.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Ali Tait wrote:They are darker than I was expecting, but they still look great Colin, I'm very happy with the look.
Certainly distinctive alright!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Ali wanted a few more photos to drool over. So here goes:

I had to move out into the back garden as the light today is very poor and I didn't want any glare from the flash.
Last edited by Toppsy on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

Whoa, they are absolutely gorgeous.
Ali, I think you may come under pressure to have them in the front room :D
Not too dark at all imho
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Aye, they'll look nice when they're finished.................. heheheheheheh (etc)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Max N wrote:Whoa, they are absolutely gorgeous.
Ali, I think you may come under pressure to have them in the front room :D
Not too dark at all imho
Nah, she's used to the OB's now Max, not to mention the Acorn statics too... :D
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Thanks again for the pics Colin, they look great.