Jonos Speakers Ping Greg

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Jonos Speakers Ping Greg

Post by Paul Barker »

Hi Greg,

I haven't tried them yet so shouldn't even be discussing them but couldn't help myself. I took the bottom off to look inside. These aren't lines, they are horns, of the like of Voigt Horns. They have a constant widening from top to bottom with driver positioned a little down from the top, just like the cheapo voigt horn design people use, spomewhat like the original metronomes.

so wtf is going on here? They must sound interesting.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Paul,

All I know is JoNo originally described them to me as Martin King designed MLTQWT's. I agree with what you say. They're a bit like an upside down version of Scott's from Owstfest. In use I found them fast and well balanced with no obvious humps across the range although bass was too light for my preference and those Vifa drivers quack. As Steve has found, getting the best bass requires a hard surface under the downward port. I used a couple of dining table mats :D. For the crossover I paralleled 2 x 2.2uF caps in series to the tweeter. I tried without resistors on the Vifa's but it was completely lacking in bass. Adding series 3R3 resistors lifted the bass considerably.

Best wishes,

Greg
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

The VIFA woofers still sound a load of rubbish, they harden everything.

So I put the fe108Σ's in. Not a bad compromise under my present circumstances. They are small speakers for small sounds in small areas, would be complete flop at any of our meetings, but for now here they give me music.

I think I'll try Damar treatment. Maybe best do one driver, then there can be a real time comparrison, and only one driver ruined if it's a flop. (which most of my attempts with speakers are)