Edmundo Ros

Share the music that moves you.......
shane
Social outcast

#151 Re: Edmundo Ros

Post by shane »

One of the things this thread does is stir up the sediment in the bottom of my mind. In the ensuing cloudiness and confusion strange connections are made. For reasons I can't begin to explain, that made me think of this:

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#152 Re: Edmundo Ros

Post by Cressy Snr »

Aye...there was a spate of wierd big production numbers around 1968, Richard Harris, "Mc Arthur Park" and David Mc Williams "The Days of Pearly Spencer" were another two stand-outs.

Barry Ryan might have started a trend for maniacal laughter in pop songs.
Or was it Arthur Brown maybe?
Gun's "Race with the Devil" and Rattles "The Witch" anyone?
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#153 Re: Edmundo Ros

Post by Cressy Snr »

Lovely Herb Alpert from 1967.

It came into my head and I couldn't think what the hell it was called, so I put on my old charity shop Herb Alpert greatest hits, hoping the tune would be on there. Luckily it was :)

"Up Cherry Street"

My Dad was always whistling this when I was a kid.
Cheerful music, puts a smile on my face anyway. 8)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#154 Re: Edmundo Ros

Post by pre65 »

Nice, must pick a Herb piece for the next Fest. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

#155 Re: Edmundo Ros

Post by shane »

That was the theme tune to something. Now it's going to bug me for the rest of the day trying to remember what.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#156 Re: Edmundo Ros

Post by pre65 »

shane wrote:That was the theme tune to something. Now it's going to bug me for the rest of the day trying to remember what.

""Up Cherry Street" was the theme for the 1960s BBC Radio programme "Newly Pressed", a daily teatime trawl through the new releases, created to work around all manner of copyright restrictions that existed. Radio was only allowed to play a few hours a day of records, but "reviews" were permitted in addition, hence a daily 2 hours of "record reviews".

It was very popular with kids (aired at 4.30pm) and the theme music was a very important part of the whole thing!"
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#157 Re: Edmundo Ros

Post by andrew Ivimey »

The past, Shane et al, is another country. It's a shame we can't visit and thus gain some understanding of why,how,what & even where relative to say home...and then it would make sense. I'm still waiting for the starting gun.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
shane
Social outcast

#158 Re: Edmundo Ros

Post by shane »

Nope, sorry Phil, it was a TV programme. Still straining the grey matter.

Sadly, Andrew's right. No matter how much we want understand what happened and why, we can't go back. It just gets further away. Does every generation yearn to go back to a golden age when they were young and the music was better, or were we just lucky? By we, I guess I mean those born between 1945 and 1960 who seem to be losing our heroes at an alarming rate.
andrew Ivimey

#159 Re: Edmundo Ros

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Like our hair we're losing each other too!

Still on the whole it's pretty good.

They say the older we get the more lucid and sharp our childhood/teenage memories become.
Well maybe,maybe not.

Right now they are hazy and vague. Right now perhaps I should be maxing out on NOW.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#160 Re: Edmundo Ros

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote:Nice, must pick a Herb piece for the next Fest. :)
I can't make the next Fest.

Arf!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#161 Re: Edmundo Ros

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Right now perhaps I should be maxing out on NOW.
'Now' is the only correct time. I'm thinking of having it tatoo'd on my wrist so if anyone asks me the correct time I can tell them. The goons had it written down on a piece of paper though IIRC.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey

#162 Re: Edmundo Ros

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ha Ha right enough. Since Anna came down off the ladder having painted the sign to Bedford Towers and I stopped bothering watering the (extensive &exotic ) gardens we settled down to varied bottles of wine and lots of Cat Stevens.
WOW.
there's nostalgia from a time when I dud not consiocusly appreciate him but oh the associations! !!!!!!

Anna's singing I love me dog right now. Think....we're nicely piss ed

Lost the plot......
But lovely music!

Oh and.... I went round to Neil's for coffee & guitars and his old chum was there. After much playing,Indian food and LAGER! It transpired that he was in the audience at Goldsmiths'college one winter evening when the art school was having a party & Tom Bombadil's Blues Band was playing...with a stripper! & so was David Gilmorton. No Cat Stevens but me &my mates were TBBB.

Oh well

Then we became Good as Gold & that lasted much longer than Goldsmiths. ....
Nick
Site Admin

#163 Re: Edmundo Ros

Post by Nick »

Dave the bass wrote:
pre65 wrote:Nice, must pick a Herb piece for the next Fest. :)
I can't make the next Fest.

Arf!
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#164 Re: Edmundo Ros

Post by Cressy Snr »

Japanese Prog Lounge. Wowser! :mrgreen:
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#165 Re: Edmundo Ros

Post by Cressy Snr »

Lounge influenced? I think so.

I liked Stereolab when they were active.