Logitech Media Server 7.7.0

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Logitech Media Server 7.7.0

Post by Cressy Snr »

I must be a glutton for punishment after the debacle that was Squeezebox server 7.6 but I downloaded and installed the Logitech Media Server v7.7.0 beta for Mac OS X earlier this afternoon.

Whaddya know, it's slick, fast, scans quickly and smoothly, doesn't mess about pre-caching artwork and is generally a good bit of software.

The guys on the Slim Devices forum reckon it might be due for a release in October.

After all the flak over 7.6 this is more like it :)

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

....ok... fancy a challenge Steve?

Convince MrI... :)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Ah...well....that might be a challenge too far :)

How about it Andrew?
It can't be any worse than what you are experiencing at the 'mo.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightl ... hp?ver=7.7
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

That is Mac - I only do PC. Perhaps there will be an upgrade to 7.77777 on PC soon. There wasn't this morning because I checked.

hope. hope, hope!

Last night I laboriously went through every folder checking/converting that all artwork was maximum 500X500. This morning was hell trying to get something to work. Even the PC software Squeezebox didn't want to read and recognise the 'new' folders. A new hard drive wasn't being recognised on the USB input to the Squeezebox as the onboard server kept switching off. Didn't even get a chance to scan and fail to read artwork.

And that's how I've left it till I get home.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

I feel your pain Andrew and hope you get it sorted. My experience with Squeezexxxx is that it's fine whilst it's running but upgrading can be a complete pain, in which case you need to be more techy than a techy thing to sort it out. Or get lucky like I did. Good luck!
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

andrew Ivimey wrote:That is Mac - I only do PC. Perhaps there will be an upgrade to 7.77777 on PC soon. There wasn't this morning because I checked.

hope. hope, hope!

Last night I laboriously went through every folder checking/converting that all artwork was maximum 500X500. This morning was hell trying to get something to work. Even the PC software Squeezebox didn't want to read and recognise the 'new' folders. A new hard drive wasn't being recognised on the USB input to the Squeezebox as the onboard server kept switching off. Didn't even get a chance to scan and fail to read artwork.

And that's how I've left it till I get home.
Hmm

If you go to the URL I posted you'll find the Windows .exe installer right at the top of the list.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightl ... hp?ver=7.7

But I'd uninstall the whole bloody lot of it before installing the Logitech media server.
You'll be prompted for a firmware update to the Touch, let it install that and hopefully you're good to go.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ooh ooh "Me sir" <puts hand up>.

I had that prob. The Touch wouldn't see the newly ammended artwork until I did a total re-scan of the library. if you go into the Squeezeserver page in your PC browser there's a little button in the bottom right hand corner 'labelled' settings. Enter that page and there's an option for library rescans via a drop down menu. Select 'Clear and rescan entire library' (or summat like that and hey presto, jobs a good un.

get me eh! 'Mr Digital Jnr.'

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Am I right in thinking Logitech Media Server is just (yet) another name for SqueezeCenter?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

simon wrote:Am I right in thinking Logitech Media Server is just (yet) another name for SqueezeCenter?
It's an extension of the capabilities of Squeezebox Server into the arena of photos and video, so they've renamed it.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

SteveTheShadow wrote:It's an extension of the capabilities of Squeezebox Server into the arena of photos and video, so they've renamed it.
Ah right, but essentially it's just the next development of the same thing?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

simon wrote:
SteveTheShadow wrote:It's an extension of the capabilities of Squeezebox Server into the arena of photos and video, so they've renamed it.
Ah right, but essentially it's just the next development of the same thing?
Yes
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Blimey! its reading my photos and films stuff! Stoppit! getdown boy!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Blimey! its reading my photos and films stuff! Stoppit! getdown boy!
Media Server is?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Blimey! its reading my photos and films stuff! Stoppit! getdown boy!
Aye... it will do
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

andrew Ivimey wrote:checking/converting that all artwork was maximum 500X500.
That's "only" pixels, what you need to worry about is kilobytes/megabytes. Ideally your resizing dooberry needs to get the file sizes smaller. Although reducing the pixels will do that but might go smaller again by reducing the "quality" percentage, I'm assuming jpg files.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."