Squeezebox Touch basics.

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Aye they're pretty cool. a bit clunky and slow though compared to using my phone for controlling duties.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

In retrospect I sooooooooo wished I'd have gone for a smart(er) phone when I got my BB on contract, doh! Only another year to go then I'll see the state of play with cool(er) phones when my contract ends.

:idea: re your volume prob Ali, have you tried cranking the volume using Squeezebox Server on a PC and selecting 'controller' from the devices drop-down menu? Mine was preset to halfway and I only got full 'swing' after cranking it to max.

I've got a pair of 'work' phones I use that 32R (I think), I'll take 'em home tonight and see how they work with the controller.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Cheers Dave, I'll give that a go.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Had a look at the web control panel, only player visible is the touch. :dontknow:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ooooer... I can see mine as 'Controller' along with 'Squeezeplay' (which is the MacBook) and the Touch.

I'd whip the battery out the controller and start again then try the Beta audio settings again. Don't forget to select 'controller' in the handsets 'choose player' menu other wise it just operates as a remote control IIRC.

DTB
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Aye, have done that. Will have another fiddle.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Welcome to the convenience of computer audio Mr DTB...

The SB Touch Controller is pretty clunky though and the various apps I've used on smart phones easily beat it for functionality, for example, the controller's keyboard facilities are pretty much non-existent whereas a smartphone will provide you with a touch screen keyboard along with swiping, scroll bars etc.

You could consider buying a used smartphone on ebay just for use as a controller - might be cheaper than a phone contract for a smartphone?

As an alternative to a smartphone have you considered a tablet; with their bigger screen they're much easier to read and navigate with. I now use a 7in Samsung Galaxy Tablet and use it to control what's playing on the main system, the home cinema system and on the tablet itself (with headphones), plus, countering my advancing years, it's large enough to be able to use email, games and other stuff - really awthumm.

Ray
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Yeah I can see the appeal of a Tablet based controller Ray. I'll battle along with the controller for now though, it's small size really lends itself being plugged into various amps around Chez Bass, 'specially the upstairs amp system where its doing stirling service providing sing-a-long-a-server duties while I decorate the soon-to-be workshop in my Sons old bedroom, whahey! Summer down the shed should be pretty musical too, there's an amp and speakers down there too!

Ali, your Controller isn't alone in the low output 'quirk'. Mine just did it. I was painting away upstairs with it plugged into the EL34 amp via a pot in a box. Summat didn't sound right and also I found the little internal speaker was playing as well as the headphone jack! Odd! It sorted itself out after a about 2 tracks. It had trouble seeing the vortexbox tonight too. meh!

Glitchy is the word I think....

DTB
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ali, re your phones level problem. Have a go at getting the controller to play a song through the internal little speaker then plug headphones in. I dunno if yours will react the same as mine but I'm finding that it takes a while (about 2 mins) for the Controller to sense a plug is in the jack socket but after it does work it out the internal speaker speaker switches off and full output (and sound quality too) appears at the 3.5mm socket.

After those few initial mins it seems fine and plays album after album with out any level prob's.

I'm still new to all this but thats what I've found so far.

Sooooo handy, love the convenience of it all. Bela Fleck and Billie Holliday just helped me paint another wall :-) Last night it Ry Cooder and Ali Farke Toure.

DTB
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

You don't need a smartphone just use an iPod Touch with the free Logitech app. Much easier and gives v.good sound.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Thanks Dave, I'll try it. Yes, mine was doing the same, sound from both speaker and phones. That'll explain the low volume then, the output stage trying to drive both at once. Best be careful trying it with phones, might suddenly get blasted!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Neal wrote:You don't need a smartphone just use an iPod Touch with the free Logitech app. Much easier and gives v.good sound.
Thats Ok if you've got an iPod Touch. But I haven't! :-) FWIW I'm not using the Controller for 'critical-listening', it's just a handy thing to plug into another system if I'm doing some work in another room or darn the shed. Touch and TT still reign supreme for proper listening in the mains system downstairs.
Ali Tait wrote:Thanks Dave, I'll try it. Yes, mine was doing the same, sound from both speaker and phones. That'll explain the low volume then, the output stage trying to drive both at once. Best be careful trying it with phones, might suddenly get blasted!
Yup's, on my Controller it takes about 1-2mins to work out its got a 3.5mm plug in its socket. Once it's done that it's fine.

DTB
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Yes appreciate that Dave, my point was you don't need an expensive smartphone, a base 2G Touch can be found on Ebay for the same price or lower than the Logitech Controller....that was all.....
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Neal wrote:Yes appreciate that Dave, my point was you don't need an expensive smartphone, a base 2G Touch can be found on Ebay for the same price or lower than the Logitech Controller....that was all.....
Aaaah! I see what you're getting at Neal, gotcha.

DTB
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Neal wrote:Yes appreciate that Dave, my point was you don't need an expensive smartphone, a base 2G Touch can be found on Ebay for the same price or lower than the Logitech Controller....that was all.....
As you can an inexpensive used smartphone; when I had logitech stuff I used an app on my old Windows mobile 5 equipped XDA orbit, which you can pick up cheaply now, but a touch or a phone will both beat the logitech controller for functionality.

Ray