another Canadian on the west coast

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
jazzminded
User

#1 another Canadian on the west coast

Post by jazzminded »

Hello,
I recently retired and moved to the, somewhat boring, west coast of Canada, fortunately I have my stereo and my record collection to entertain me. I use vinyl as the primary source for music, followed by CD, with my computer as a secondary source.
I have a great set-up, a humble one perhaps, but very good sounding. I'm a music person and am no longer addicted to the upgrade bug (luckily for my wife).
I use a KingRex T20U (amp) and PSU (power supply) with an utterly amazing sounding pair of Tekton 4.5en speakers (these incorporate Fostex drivers). I utilize a Tivoli Model CD player and my trusty workhorse, Heybrook TT2 turntable.
A few thousand pieces of vinyl and life is grand.
Attachments
musical miniatures2.jpg
shane
Social outcast

#2 Re: another Canadian on the west coast

Post by shane »

jazzminded wrote:Heybrook TT2 turntable
A man after my own heart.

Any chance of a picture?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Welcome Jazzminded.

Perhaps you may be tempted to trying out a valve amp which a lot of us here are in to? Plenty of help here in designing and building them and plenty of options to go at.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: another Canadian on the west coast

Post by pre65 »

jazzminded wrote: I use a KingRex T20U (amp) and PSU (power supply)
http://www.kingrex.co.uk/t20u_amplifier.html
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: another Canadian on the west coast

Post by pre65 »

jazzminded wrote: I use a KingRex T20U (amp) and PSU (power supply) with an utterly amazing sounding pair of Tekton 4.5en speakers (these incorporate Fostex drivers).
http://www.tektondesign.com/Model45.htm

They look very similar to the mini monitors that Chris and I built a while ago.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Looks like it could be either the 126 mounted in the side of the enclosures we've used,
or a 127.

Likely to be the latter, as it's known for it's performance in general ported boxes.

Do you think, perhaps, some cone treatment is in order? Many find the Fostex sound to be very forward through the mids/lower treble, but if you're happy, no need to change.

Hmmm...
Looking through the specs, it says FE126En, shielded (how did they manage that?).

They only go to ~50Hz, are some subwoofers in order?

PS - Welcome to the Forums! :D
jazzminded
User

Post by jazzminded »

Hi to pre65 & chris661
My 4.5's are utilizing the 126En's as the 127's are no longer in production (seemingly).

I must admit that I would like another octave at the bottom end but I will not use a sub-woofer for that purpose. As I only have 2 ears, I am uncertain which orifice one uses to listen to the .1 speaker in a 2.1 system. 8-)

chris661, would you indulge me with some further explanation: "Many find the Fostex sound to be very forward through the mids/lower treble"

I do have to say that I am very impressed by the Tektons, the sound-stage is almost disturbing at first as you cannot believe what you are experiencing from a $300. speaker system. (I gave away a pair of Wilson WATT/Puppy System 8's when I moved west) More than a hundred pounds of associated equipment went with those speakers.

Thanks kindly
jazzminded
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#8 Re: another Canadian on the west coast

Post by Paul Barker »

pre65 wrote:
jazzminded wrote: I use a KingRex T20U (amp) and PSU (power supply) with an utterly amazing sounding pair of Tekton 4.5en speakers (these incorporate Fostex drivers).
http://www.tektondesign.com/Model45.htm

They look very similar to the mini monitors that Chris and I built a while ago.
Looks neat anyway so it ticks one box already.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

very neat - phew! I have of late, I must admit been using a tripath 2020...hm might be 2030 - who cares! and I am impressed - a big step up from those old T-amps that could be (with enthusiasm) described as 'very surprising' or 'not quite right, somehow' and so on.

We do do a lot of er ... 'tube amps' here nevertheless and of course most of us are dead biased about this. Still there you go; Welcome!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

There's a pun in there somewhere :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."