Cheap phono stage and cartridge recommendations.

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Carbon fibre arm board? Gosh. I thought we we getting a bit hi-tech when we introduced the cast alloy chassis! Is yours an alloy chassis or steel?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
jazzminded
User

Post by jazzminded »

Hi Shane,
I actually cut and bored out the hole for the arm board. I had been given the piece as a sample, it looks quite unlike the flashy patterned stuff you see proliferating the net. In fact it is drab looking. Drab is good.
The sub chassis on mine was steel, I cast a new one out of a magnesium alloy that I was involved in developing. It made a huge difference, I did have to replace the springs to compensate for the difference in weight.
Cheers
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

I'd be fascinated to hear this. The original steel chassis worked well, and the introduction of the alloy one wasn't really much of an improvement. I preferred it, but was quite surprised to find a few years ago that Peter had always preferred the original. We did have a one-off cast in the same mazak alloy that Linn used for their platters but the additional mass killed the thing stone-dead, so the lower mass of magnesium would have been a logical development to try. It's nice to know that thirty years later someone's giving it a go.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
jazzminded
User

Post by jazzminded »

The Boughton's were very helpful in providing me with some ideas on their tt, Wendy especially.
I had originally filled the steel tube chassis with an epoxy resin that was really nice at dampening everything. I now regret having dispensed with the steel contraption but like most auudiofools, you can't have, nor keep every thing that comes your way.
When I retired and moved 3000 miles across to the west coast, I gladly divested myself of a ton of stuff. I had come to the realization that I no longer owned my things but that they owned me somehow.
My humble little stereo has a stunning sound and I am more than satisfied with it.
Ironically, I tallied up what I've spent on this system and it amounts to a paltry 1200 bucks, not including the turntable or the Kimber 4PR and Kimber PBJ wire. The cable for my tonearm cost more than that. ;(
Even my wife likes how it sounds. I played her a live Bill Evans album and she marvelled at the sound of a glass being put down on a table.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

The Boughtons bought Stuart out long after I left Heybrook, so I never worked with them as I lost touch with the company altogether. I always thought that the TT2 was dead and buried by then, but obviously not. They must have been responsible for the final version with the half-size armboard and without the solid plinth, which I was surprised to see details of a few years ago. It seemed to fly completely in the face of my original idea. I've never listened to one, so can't say whether it made any difference or not. I did think it looked nicer than mine though! Any chance you could get some pictures of your chassis and armboard on here?

If you wanted to re-create a copy of the original steel chassis I could give you all the dimensions. It was a very simple structure made up of three pieces of 2" x 1" x 1/8 steel tube welded together with four big holes and two little ones. I suspect that it would be well within the abilities of someone like Phil (Pre65) on here.

Now there's a thought. Phil could do the chassis, bearing and sub-platter (both simple machining jobs), Toppsy could do the plinth, I'll source the motor and electrics. Guy Sergeant on AoS has a supply of belts that he took with him when Heybrook finally folded, and if you have skills with casting, that solves the problem of the platter. Lids and mats are still available from Linn (which is where we got them from in the first place). Springs and spring seats would be difficult.

Audio-Talk TT2, anyone? I should have kept hold of my original drawings when I left, although it wouldn't be hard to redraw them.

Just kidding...
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Nephew has now embraced the habit wholeheartedly, bought and subsequently sold a Musical Fidelity X2, bought new speakers, rewired his Rega 250, and bought a KEL84 built by John Caswell which has no transformer covers fitted. Does anyone have a spare set knocking around?