Squeezebox - was I imagining it ??????

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Squeezebox - was I imagining it ??????

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I could have sworn up to a week ago that 192kHz flac files I had dwomnloaded from various free websites used to work fine on my Squeezebox Touch and today they won't play at all. 96kHz is fine but 192kHz - forget it.

confused of Beds.

thoughts, help, please ...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

AFAIK the Touch will only play up to 24/96. I think it will downsample bigger files though. Do you run it with a hard drive directly connected?
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hi Ali, streaming or direct from a hard drive it will no longer play 192kHz whereas I a sure(?) that it used to. No dammit! I am sure. I have not downloaded/install any updates.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

andrew Ivimey wrote: No dammit! I am sure. I have not downloaded/install any updates.
And for Pete's sake don't :shock:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

No Mr C I won't :-) though my computer is getting insistent down in the right hand bottom cormer.

I did use the PC spftware to re-scan though and this has brought the 192kHz fiies back to splendid life (I would guess though that they are 'downsampled/scaled' though, so not true 192kHz. Hooray then for existing SACD/DVD-Audio player) - this re-scan might be a clue...-> get the squeezebox to rescan the hardrive - but it takes about four hours!

could be - what does the panel think?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Put all your moozic on a separate drive, won't take so long then.
JackOfAll
Old Hand

Post by JackOfAll »

deleted
Last edited by JackOfAll on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yep, I haven't a clue what you are talking about though I am sure you mean well. when it comes to the digital domain I am a numbskull.

sox?
standalone SBS?
SBS?
'downsize the standalone capabiility'?

cor...?

if you want to know what the anaesthetist or the surgeon is doing I can tell you... but hi-tech... nah, I'm an idiot; 'swhy I like valves!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Yep, I haven't a clue what you are talking about though I am sure you mean well.
:lol:

On any other forum a war would start.

Here we just giggle knowing one another well enough.

The Ivimey for Prime Minister!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
JackOfAll
Old Hand

Post by JackOfAll »

deleted
Last edited by JackOfAll on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

JackofAll for Dept. PM.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

all my music is on a separate drive - there is rather a lot of it our Ali. On the PC with all the rest of the rubbish the SB (swidt!) software takes about two minutes to rescan. On the standalone hard drives with only the music the SB takes about four hours to read and sort it to its liking so it can play it all back.

- not actually sure what a 'server' is ... sorry

um, I just use a hard drive connected with USB.

So its 'SoX' that isn't working when the data is coming from the hard drive then ? kinda begs the question ----- why not?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Only this very day I was sitting outside in a (very) sunny Bedford back garden talking about sox with a good friend.

Did I say sox ? Well it was something that sounds similar. :lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

pre65 wrote:Only this very day I was sitting outside in a (very) sunny Bedford back garden talking about sox with a good friend.

Did I say sox ? Well it was something that sounds similar. :lol: :lol:
Wassat ?
The Joy of Sox ?
Chris :happy3:
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

andrew Ivimey wrote:all my music is on a separate drive - there is rather a lot of it our Ali. On the PC with all the rest of the rubbish the SB (swidt!) software takes about two minutes to rescan. On the standalone hard drives with only the music the SB takes about four hours to read and sort it to its liking so it can play it all back.

- not actually sure what a 'server' is ... sorry

um, I just use a hard drive connected with USB.

So its 'SoX' that isn't working when the data is coming from the hard drive then ? kinda begs the question ----- why not?
Hard drive connected directly via USB is the reason why your 24/192 files won't play - the Squeeze player will only do 24/96 natively, and to play higher sample rates requires that on the fly resampling is done.
The process requires a bit of grunt, processing wise, and your Touch player doesn't really have any, which is why it's coming over all giddy and not being able to cope with it.

Sox does not work at all when the Touch is using its built in TinySC, as you've found.

If you were to remove the server responsibilties from the player, and run Squeezebox Server on a computer on your home network you should find that Sox will quite happily do its thing and downsample 24/192 to 24/96, which is then within the capabilities of the Touch.

The alternative is to resample the 24/192 material to 24/96, which you can do using dbPoweramp, which IIRC is a tool you have and use on your computer.
Chris :happy3: