Hello

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
fallenangel
User

#1 Hello

Post by fallenangel »

Hi all, I'm the angel formally know as "ARP" I am now a fallen angel, after much faffing around trying to join this site. I almost gave up (I wish he had) I hear a few of you say. As you can see, I'm as cheerful as ever.

Tony.
Last edited by fallenangel on Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Hi, did you have problems signing up?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
fallenangel
User

#3 Signing up ?

Post by fallenangel »

Yes, I did have trouble, the site wouldn't accept my details, telling me that my email was in use, and when I did finally get it to accept it, it wouldn't send me a confirmation email, so I've had to create a whole new identity and email address :( but its done now.....:roll:

Tony.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ok, do you want to PM me the email you tried to use, and I will check.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

Welcome Tony.

I signed up a little while ago. I am passionate about music, listen to a wide selection both vinyl and CD, really happy with my current set-up (which I suspect differs to the sort most run on here, but I love it!) .... so all good.

I lerk more than contirbute because TBH, a lot of the stuff discussed on here is a bit over my head. I love listening to music so places like this can introduce me to more stuff to listen to (especailly if any music get-togethers happen and I get to join in).

So - what brings you here? Music lover, hi-fi fanatic, self-build enthusiast, all of the above of combination of?

Sam
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I think he went to the wrong place, he was looking for a studio forum I think.

I know most of us witter about DIY stuff, as thats where we are from and how we know each other. But thats no reason why you can't start threads that are of interest to you, please do, and if you know any others who would be interested, bring them on, this place is whatever the users make it.

If you think we need any other sections creating just say so.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Samantha wrote:(especailly if any music get-togethers happen and I get to join in).

Sam
Yes that is a good enough reason to come. You would be welcome to come to any happening. There's usually one a year in Wittham another around Doncaster twice a year and smaller impromptu ones which you would be welcome to join if there is one you think you can reach.
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

Thanks chaps.

I am only half an hour from Doncaster. :)

I haven't started threads (aside from one in the music section) as some of the posts I have read seem to poo-poo any turntables that are from more recent decades, and anything that hasn't been tweeked ..... so I've kept my head down as I actually really enjoy my Gyro-Orbe etc.

So I may not fit in with regards to my equipment ..... but I don't think it is a bad thing having a few people around with different equipment to the main.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

so I've kept my head down as I actually really enjoy my Gyro-Orbe etc.
And there is nothing wrong with that. There are several different reasons why a lot of us have the stuff we have,

one is that the upgrade path that the mags like to encourage has got a bit annoying, and having heard what is possible with a bit of DIY folk have jumped sideways.

another, is discovering that what is old is not always worst, and so people have what is still effectivly commercial HiFi, just not current stuff. Good examples of that would be the assorted idler and direct drive turntables.

then there is the realisation that some things are done in DIY are just not available commercially, no matter what the cost. I would put some of the amps that Steve and Will build using old British valves in that camp.

and then there is the rest of us, who are skin flints (maybe that explains the large Yorkshire presence) and object to giving good money away for what can be done better/cheaper yourself.

Don't be put off by the technical wittering that goes on in this place, the get togethjers are much more about playing music and compairing stuff, much like what goes on in the shops, but without a saleman pushing you in the direction of debt. Ok, there is talk about the inner working, and the occasional sad showing of treasured glass bulbs, but on the whole its a moderatly sain event (ok, other than the GM70 thing that Paul and myself did, and the 212 amp of Pauls, but that different :-). Oh, and there was the time we set fire to Marks carpet, but again, ignore that :-).

I think a lot of the reason that much of the talk on here is tecnical, is because we can't play our stuff at each other over the internet, so its the next best thing.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

very nicely put nick...

i've allways thought of you all as a load of skinflints too.....

i suppose I am really..

I hate the thought of lining someone elses pockets..

i much prefer my valve collection to a healthy northern rock account...

steve
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

Lol - well, I share one thing then - I don't buy into the mag upgrade stuff at all.

Aside from a recent freebie, I haven't read a hi-fi mag in many years (certainly at least a decade ago, quite possibly longer).

Also, I don't judge on the price tag - some expensive kit leaves me cold and vice versa.

I'm not a snob so I don't discriminate against the dear stuff either (despite not being able to afford it).

And everything in my hifi with the exception of one of the interconnects, the phono stage and the CD Player, were all bought 'pre-cherished'.
So I meet the Yorkshire credentials too. 8)
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

be careful Samantha,
they'll have you building a valve amp next :lol:
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi Samantha
Yes I am still running my old thorns TD 160B mkII with rega RB 300 goldring 1042 oh and the AR EB101my first turntable so the belt drive lives on for me :shock: I would like to own a garrard 401 but these are priced in to silly money now
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

The Goldring Lencos come a close second.

I was happy with my AR legend for many years, mainly because someone influential (a French Canadian amp designer who wrote in French hif mags) told me it was one of the best decks ever made.

He was so wrong.

Anyway at the risk of upseting people who don't want a historical story.

I got into hifi by having a little spare cash and went down to the local little man hifi shop. He was pushing arcam so I came away with arcam amp and beer mat spinner and linn speakers.

Then through local contacts went to visit a lad who made valve stuff. He took an el34 and made a single ended amp in front of my face just using crude stuff like filament transformer as output transformer etc.

The sound was like nothing I had ever heard in my life before, many magnitudes better than what I had paid over a grand for, and he had thrown it together out of his scrap bin.

So when I got home I went on the new to me www and found that the whole world was talking about building 300b single ended amps.

So to cut a long story short I eventually found out what a choke was and such like bought the bits and made a plain sounding amp without much top end no emotion and hardly any bass.

I've been trying to improve on that ever since, but have learned a great deal of stuff that doesn't work along the way and spent tens of thousands.

You'd best forget you ever came here.