ebay DAC

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I'd go along with that :!:
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Puffin wrote: Did any of you get involved with the "Cheapo Chinese Dac" malarkey a few years ago? Just wondered if these were any better.
I went through the Lampucera thing and posted my thoughts on AOS a bit.

This one is more detailed and involving than Lampucera. Though i sometimes think there is a slight lack of dynamics from this board. Maybe this is because the DAC has an "easy to listen to" nature. Others may disagree.
Generally speaking, its a good step up from Lampucera, worth the dosh and a bit of effort.
Much to learn there is.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

al newall wrote: "easy to listen to" nature.
Hence why I still haven't got my vinyl working again. Now that is really saying something. I couldn't live with digital last time I was in this hobby. digital has come on leaps and bounds.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

al newall wrote: "easy to listen to" nature.
Hence why I still haven't got my vinyl working again. Now that is really saying something. I couldn't live with digital last time I was in this hobby. digital has come on leaps and bounds.
Deco-Doctor
User

Post by Deco-Doctor »

removed
Last edited by Deco-Doctor on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

A thought I have been considering myself. I think (though dont yet know) it might be ok, what I was finding was that as long as the two halfs are in perfect balance its fine, but the moment the nickel lams see a slight imbalance they saturate hard. That may be fixed with parafeed, but I am not sure as the problem is not just about DC. I am in conversation about the topic with Bud ATM.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Be interested in what the outcome is Nick. Some new transformers perhaps?
Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

So do we think that the AK4396 can drive a capacitive load OK? I think at one stage there was some thought that the switch from AK4393 to AK4396 had introduced problems. Or was this a red herring?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yes I believe so. measuring Ali's and previously, I have seen no problem. I read the spec sheet as saying some things that have been conflated together.

It looks to me that the output needs at least a 1k load (1k5 at DC). Max direct load on the output is 25pf. If its driving more than that, it needs a resistor in the output. As long as the resistor is more than 1k5 it doesn't matter what capacitance its driving.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

OK, thanks very much. My 96 board is on the slow boat, but I've got plenty to keep me busy til it gets here :D
Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

Well my AK4396 kit has arrived.
When I got my AK4393 kit, the three SMD regulators were already fitted to the board. This time they aren't - so can anyone give me any tips for soldering SMD devices?
Obviously good eyesight and a steady hand would help but they aren't available :lol:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Get a flux pen, I found that helps a lot, let the solder flow where it wants. There are some good videos on youtube about soldering smd parts.
Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

Thanks Nick, I'll take a look
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Rather than start another thread on this here DAC, may I butt in and ask a question?

I can? Goody :D

I fancy getting one of these DAC's for the SPDIF output from my media computer's onboard sound.

Question is: I have a Toslink cable, is it just a case of cutting the plug off one end of that cable and attaching the two cores to the input of the DAC? Assuming there are two cores of course, I haven't cut one up before.

And then taking a common screen and left and right analogues out from the DAC?
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

NO you will need the Toslink cable and one of these converters works brill
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200602526506? ... 1438.l2649
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage