just joined

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Stuart Dean
User

#1 just joined

Post by Stuart Dean »

Hi

I joined the old WAD forum probably around 2002 and moved on to its successor the WD forum when that was started.

I did not really contribute very much to either of these but asked the odd question and sought advice occasionally.

My main interest was building little low power amps using salvaged components and what I could find in my extensive junk box.

I started with valves as an 11 year old schoolboy back in the early 1950s building simple one valve radio receivers.

Then followed the solid state years. Unfortunately I don't think I ever succeeded in building anything which actually worked

Late 90s and interest in valves was resumed after buying a Hi-Fi world mag.

One wet Sunday afternoon it dawned on me that I had all the bits required to make up a pair of Mullard 3/3 (3/2 actually as I used S/S diodes in the PS.)

Since built several little SET amps but nothing at all exotic. Then tried a couple of those ridiculously cheap Chinese imports mainly to modify and hopefully improve.

Between 2002 and 2007 I made a number of good contacts via WAD and WD and I think I helped some of these with some difficult to find bits and pieces.

I also had the misfortune to find a few who although very happy to receive parcels somehow managed to forget to pay for them.

Without going into details I eventually found myself very much out of pocket and in mid 2007 I contacted John Casswell on the WD forum asked to be removed from the WD memberlist and explained my reasons for wanting this.

John replied that he would be reluctant to do this and offered to help me to hopefully recover some of what I was owed

But I had just lost all enthusiasm and interest then stopped posting and concentrated on my other hobby photography.

Some time later I started to look in on the AT forum just to keep up to speed with what was happening but never felt that I wanted to join.

Then suddenly Paul B reappeared on the forum shortly followed by Darren and the urge to get involved again returned.

I must point out that I have been in touch with a couple of AT members recently and my faith that people would actually pay for things they have received has been restored.

I believe one has to post a number of times to be accepted as a member of this forum and as I have a number of points and questions I'd like to discuss I will do this in a future post

Stuart Dean
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

A warm welcome to you Stuart.

I hope we can re kindle your enthusiasm. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Hi Stuart. Welcome back! How's the cider business? Any idea what I should do with that bloody great box of valves in my loft? :lol:
Last edited by shane on Fri May 27, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

shane wrote: Any idea what I should do with that bloody great box of valves in my loft?
Make a list and post it here. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

I would, but the writing's rubbed off most of them.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Seriously though Stuart, if you want them back now your interest is rekindled, let me know.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Hello Stuart.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Stuart,

Great to see you back on the scene. :D

Regards,

Greg
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

about time too, squire ;-)
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Stuart Dean
User

Post by Stuart Dean »

Many Thanks for the welcome everyone.
Shane is the only form member that I have met personally.
We met at my workplace a few years ago. And he left with some D/D turntables and the box of valves he mentioned.
Want em back you must be joking. Anybody else got room in their loft?
Shanes reference to cider is because before my retirement I worked for a small family run cider producer and since my retirement I work for errr a small family run cider producer being in charge of the electrical/mechanical maintenance etc.
If anybody is visiting the Somerset call in and I'll give you the tour.
It's Sheppys Cider near Taunton directions are on our web site .

Anyway today to the Supermarket to get some food and on Monday to Thruxton for the British Superbike meeting.
S
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Don't worry Stuart, I'm hanging on to them if you don't want them back. There's some interesting stuff in there. I need to go through them some time and see what's what. Phil (Pre65) Andrew I and myself have had some fun with the QQV07s, but the rest remain to be explored.
bob orbell
User

Post by bob orbell »

Hello from me Stuart, I like your introdution, welcome to the forum. BOB
BOB
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hello Stuart
Welcome to audio talk
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Welcome Stuart.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

Hi Stuart welcome
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!