output transformers

We all start somewhere
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

pre65 wrote:Sandys site says the ones Darren offered are 90ma as well !
Either one of three things has happened, and it happened before you even expressed an interest in valve amps so don't come here making flipant cutting posts like that.

The three things are this,

When those transformers were listed and sold to Darren and myself they were specified as 140 mA.

Therefore either that is what they were at that time and the present spec has canged,

Or they were lying then.

Or they are lying now.

You might take offense but any decent person would have said to Darren sorry to upset you mate but are you aware of this website which says your transformers are only capable of 90 mA?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-Please don't take offence !

My post was only meant to show that there were inconsistencies on the specified currents shown on that list and therefore could not be relied upon to be accurate.

I obviously hit a "nerve" which was utterly and absolutely unintentional. :oops:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Oh I must have misread the intention.

They were definately specified as 140mA when we bought them, James have had a good reputation for quite a few years now. I can only imagine they have changed the spec. or they aren't made by james anymore.

I used them at 140ma on the 212 at the first eggfest with good results.

Darren uses them today at 180ma.

I don't know what Nick and Collin Topps had them running at with the gm70 prototype but it was surely over 90ma with good results.

Another demonstration of how the google button doesn't compare to experiential knowledge.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi All
There seems to be some confusion on this subject I am merely trying to find out what the correct spec for the James 6123H TX is before I buy a set on two sellers wed sites they that say 120mA 20watt and on the James site they say its 90mA 20 watt so which is correct if anyone has the latest 6123H I asoom the spec will be printed on the bottom of the TX perhaps you could post up the spec to confirm which it is
Thanks
Edit the JS-6223H is rated at 90mA this may have been mistaking for the 6123H it only seems to be the James site thats wrong
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-cant get the the bottom of mine at the moment.

Does the 20W rating not help ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Are you best asking your supplier and James? Or ask AE for a quote to your exact needs?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I don't know what Nick and Collin Topps had them running at with the gm70 prototype but it was surely over 90ma with good results.
120ma, but I think we went past that when we used them in the "how far can you push a gm70" demo.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Well mine are printed with 140ma rating. But as I said before, even at 200ma they don't get warm, distort, or any other nastiness,

I also have a pair of toroids rated at 250ma, not tried them as yet but it will be interesting to push the amp that far. I'd guess around 2Kv for 250ma, but will have to wait and see.
I'd like to go to 3Kv and see how the music changes up there, if at all?

We'll have to see which component complains first.

In case anyone thinks this is a tad on the nutty side, there is a 5ft solid stone wall between me and the amp. Ie the amp is not in the listening room but safely tucked behind the best barrier I can give it.

Not that I would expect anything serious to happen of course. I just wouldn't want anyone or anything to touch/fall etc. Inc me !!
All the components are rated for such abuse except maybe the output transformers which are hard to find at such high current ratings.

But such as life is it'll have to wait for now as I have other more pressing commitments

:cry:
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Paul Barker wrote:Are you best asking your supplier and James? Or ask AE for a quote to your exact needs?
Yes i will email the seller sandy to confirm the currant of the 6123H the AEs would be good but above my budget at the mo
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

Specs have changed

I have JS-6153HS 5/7K 70ma
now JS-6153HSF 5K 80ma

F for feedback

The chassis on Sandy's site have JS numbers
so the S in JS could be Sandy just a thought
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi All
received email back from sandy I can now confirm the James 6123-HS are 120ma :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi All
Well just got my James 6123HS output TXs and well pleased with the build quality of the black ones But as I didn’t get a spec sheet with them the pin connections look simple enough i.e. Pin B+ volts in and which ever impedances I require from 2.5k 3.5k 5k plus 0 and 8 ohms but can anyone tell me what the pin marked S refers too
Thanks
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

screen

ideally, though it ain't necessary, this should be connected to chassis earth.
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

colin.hepburn wrote:But as I didn’t get a spec sheet with them.........
Your wish is my command Colin!!! ;)

http://euphoniaaudio.netfirms.com/ea/nf ... 6123HS.pdf

I notice they [Euphonia Audio] have stopped selling the 6123, but after a little "intelligent" digging around in their website directories, I found the original data sheet for you. I suggest you save the PDF to your HD for future reference. Who knows how long it will stay on their website. ;)

Cheers
©2020 Lee
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

thanks for that saved
Cheers Lee
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage