Dead Squeezebox. Damn.

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
shane
Social outcast

#1 Dead Squeezebox. Damn.

Post by shane »

Whilst experimenting with my C3G preamp the other day I noticed that one channel was silent. Couldn't work out why until I realised that my Squeezebox SB3 was giving no output on the left channel. Whether I accidentally gave it a dose of DC up it's interconnects I'm not sure, I don't think so, but it's definitely dead on one channel. I don't have any method of checking the digital outputs, but I'm pretty sure it's the analogue audio output stage that has the problem.

I had a quick look inside and there's no obvious sign of anything being fried, but I gave up any hope of repairing it myself, and quickly discovered that Logitech aren't the least bit interested in repairing anything that isn't under warranty.

Does anyone know anyone competent who might be persuaded to have a look at it?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Simon did the same to his. If the same has happened its possible to bipass the dead op amp and directly couple the dac output via a cap to the output. Either that or replace the op amp.

Send it to me if you are unsure about doing the above.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Thanks Nick, much appreciated. I'm not the least bit confident in dealing with components I can barely even see! Could you PM me your address?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Squezebox

Post by Nick »

Guess, I should remove my address from the post. Most know where i live anyway, and its in the domain reg, but anyway...
Last edited by Nick on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Brilliant. I'll post it off on Monday.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Nick wrote:Simon did the same to his.
Aye, it was when I was breadboarding a headphone amp. I managed to give myself a shock when unplugging an IC and at the same time I killed a channel :-(. Fortunately Dr Nick came to the rescue again :-). Have to say that I would never have been able to fix it - the tracks are so fine I was struggling to see them really, let alone understand the technical bit.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Yes, I was just checking voltages and resistances, so unless I did something very silly without realising (which is quite possible), then it was just the voltage of my DMM resistance measurement that killed it. Of course it could be that after three years of blameless service it happened to choose that morning to die spontaneously but it doesn't seem very likely, somehow.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I would guess it was more than the DVM voltage. What was actually dead was a 250R resistor thats part of a LP filter just before the connections to the phono socksts.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Sort of like a 250ohm fuse I guess! Thanks for sorting it out so quickly Nick. I'll be a bit more careful in future.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Squeezebox now back in place making beautiful music.

Thanks Nick!
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Cool.