Paraglow 3?

What people are working on at the moment
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1 Paraglow 3?

Post by Ray P »

THought I would give a flavour of my next amp project.

Some of you may recall that I started with a stock Bottlehead Paraglow kit (which I reviewd in HiFi World a few years ago). I've gradually upgraded it with Cobalt output transformers, the Paraglow 2 kit (C4S, shunt regulation on the 6N1P), tentlab DC heater modules and various bits of silver etc. I think it sounds amazing driving my lowthers.

Anyway I've been talking to Paul Hynes and he's produced a constant current source/shunt regulator module for the 2A3 output tubes so my next project will be a reworking of the 'glows to incorporate these. I'll also take the opportunity to tidy up a few other things. Based on the improvements that applying this approach to the input tubes had this would seem to have good potential.

I'll post occasionally as I progress - at the moment I'm just sketching things out.

BTW, what a great guy Paul Hynes is, so helpful and accomodating.

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Hi Ray,

A well designed choke and cap based supply can be very good but a regulated one will be much better, I reckon.

I recall Paul's PX amp at the first EggFest that eventually drove his 212, he brought something that should have been better to second meet, but I didin't think it was, and blamed him using cathode followers. Now I now the first amp had a regulated supply. Was that the difference?

cheers,

-- Andrew
Ray P

#3 Paul Hynes Handiwork

Post by Ray P »

So, here's one of Paul Hynes' SR5D modules that I'll be using in my next project. It comprises of a constant current source and shunt regulator on a single board. Max inpurt is 500V DC and it is adjustable to deliver upto 450V of regulated DC. Mine will be feeding a 2A3 output valve and will be delivering around 130mA (double the 2A3 bias current plus a little for losses).

Ray
Attachments
SR5D lores.JPG
SR5D lores.JPG (146.11 KiB) Viewed 8820 times
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

And that's a valve amp is it!?

I know it isn't because I can't see any of those glass things. So Ray, you are cheating! :wink:
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Hi Ray,

What's the IC's on the PCB? I'm always after new and interesting solid state devices that can live at >350v.

cheers,

-- Andrew
Ray P

#6 Silicon Devices

Post by Ray P »

Andrew (I) , cheating! - I'm not proud and I don't think silicon injections are banned by the world anti-doping organisation.

Anyway, isn't glass made from silicon.

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Hi Andrew,

the supply for the px4 amp was not only valve shunt regulated but capacitorless. It was the ultimate which I have ever made.

Oh and no sand.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

But it's a lot of heat power loss, expense and risk. I'm sure Paul Hines can do almost as well for less money risk and personal knowledge and effort required by the user.
Ray P

#9 SR5D

Post by Ray P »

Paul Hynes modules cost in the region of £110 each.

They still waste a lot of energy as heat though, you need to mount the module on a heatsink of something like 0.6deg C/W. You dissipate something like 60-70W to get 2.4W to the speakers.

Ray