Bulbs

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Darren wrote:You're too secretive Dave..

You should be a little more open......
Do you think so? :D Thank goodness no-one knows I still go out to 'play' on skateboards with all the kids :oops: !!!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

is it not reasonable to identify and trial music that can challenge a systems capabilities?
As you know Greg, I am somewhat thick skinned, so it was just in fun, but to give my answer.

It is reasnable to do that, as long as the music used is something that the owner and builder would likely listen to (and more importantly) the system is being asked to reproduce that music at volumn levels that it was designed to handle.

If neither of the two points are true, then (as I suggested) you may as well see how well the system will light a bulb, it has as much relevance as a test.

IMHO of course.
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

I guess I'm somewhere between Nick and Greg on this (not the irony, the original issue).

I know that Greg wants to be able to play any music type well but possibly is slightly biased towards more powerful music.

Nick maybe isn't interested in deep bass that could destroy his room, no doubt because he wants to listen to music.

The Rodrigo y Gabriela 12" is mightily powerful, yes it impresses but isn't my taste in music. So why do I bother with it? It's fun but also if my system can play this record then I know it can cope with the deeper parts of Goldfrapp and Pink Floyd. Having said this, I'm not that interested in tuning system specifically to play such music. If it has to be an either / or I would chose being able to reproduce double bass and the general atmosphere of jazz and blues clubs. It's more subtle music that is more important to me.

Yes SE may often loose out to PP in the sheer grunt stakes (maybe 833s aside), that's part of the reason I cheat by using SS for bass. But...I must have the greater sublty in the mid and top that I find is missing from PP.

So maybe they both have their place and there is compromise with each?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Nick maybe isn't interested in deep bass that could destroy his room, no doubt because he wants to listen to music.
Oh, I have nothing against deep bass, but it was only when I got the kit home and turned it back on, that I realised just how loud we had been playing compaired to the levels I employ at home.

It doesn't matter what sort of amplifier you are using if you are trying to send the drive units past xmax.
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

It does rather come back the question about how useful this aspect of the Fests can be. A room much larger than our domestic ones really can't be representative, as you are saying.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

I've always thought that?

Bit like choosing a system in Curries?

But, it does give some insight in different set-ups and what about actually getting together.

But still, the best has probably got to be get together in peeps homes. A problem for some I'm sure.

No easy answer and the meets as they are are probably the best compromise I guess.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

A room much larger than our domestic ones really can't be representative, as you are saying.
Well, yes, but the fests are as much about seeing people and talking (and drinking) as comparitive listening.

It was mentioned that next time, it might be better, to find a source and amp, then try the speakers out with that, instead as we did this time, go from entire system, to entire system.

Then with a set of speakers that will suit most stuff do the same with the amps.

In reality, you can't make decisions abotu stuff at these events, but you can get an idea what people are doing, and things that may be applicable to what you are doing in your own system.

I am sure I was not the only one there, who suggested people sound visit me at home to hear stuff in more representive conditions.

And at the end of the day, its not often you get a chance to hear a pair of STC 4300As is it :-).
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

these are valid point about the relevance to listening in your home vs a venue like last week end..

my lowther horns always sounded much better at home than they did at any venue..
but .. comparing systems can open your eyes after a while.. i spent years not hearing slight flaws in the reproduction..

and comparisions ineven in unsuitable venues do show up flaws..

speakers that sound soft and lack detail and speed
speakers where you can hear the effect of the box, or horn,
speakers that miss part of the frequency range

the touble is most of us live with part of these affects and do not notice them..

steve
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Something like this at the next one would light my fire.Image

but I don't think you'd be able to tell if the 12v lamp was lit because it would be a filament white out.

Actually can we have a brightest filament contest, and just not bother with music at all?
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

I completely agree with all that is written above. Nothing we have done at these events has allowed the replication of the quality we all hear from our systems at home and I have no doubt that a well set up SE system in a home listening room might well cope and properly deliver the sound of the dance mix album this thread is originally about.

Hi-Fi shows use loads of small listening rooms. They themselves offer limitations to sound reproduction although I have to say that for the last two years at Bristol, we've managed to achieve very presentable sound. Actually the use of this album for demonstration is very much show orientated. If you are trying to sell a product, surely demonstrating the versitility of the equipment is all part of the game. Remember, most punters think valves are outdated old hat. It rather surprises them when they hear challenging material reproduced through a valve system, and that can turn them around to think outside the box, dismiss SS and explore the valve option which we educated people know is the way to go.

Moving on, maybe our fests should look to find a venue that is not one big room but rather several smaller rooms that replicate as closely as possible our own listening environments. Seems to me to be worth thinking about and I'd be happy to explore that option in Bristol. I just don't know how many would commit to travel and then stay. What do you think?

Best wishes,

Greg
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Maybe we should all just call in on each other!

You Yorkshire folk are fortunate in being able to rub shoulders more often and there does seem to be a big need to just talk.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

My sis lives in Bedford...?
Last edited by Darren on Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well, I guess us "Yorkshire Folk" are as far away from each other as many other are.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I've started hooking it up.

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Moving on, maybe our fests should look to find a venue that is not one big room but rather several smaller rooms that replicate as closely as possible our own listening environments.
Yes, its an appealing (though potentially costly) idea. But just for the hell of it, I have a couple of problems with the idea (despite it having lots of things going for it).

1. It will tend to divide us up into individual groups, I thought that started happening at the last EF with just two rooms.

2. It might start to introduce a distance between the builder and listener, possibly leading to more people thinking they can't do it themself.

3. It might lead to the builders not hearing other ideas, which for me is the great advantage to the fests

4. It will certainly introduce more competition, though this is probaly a result of 1.

Then again, its maybe just my old hippy leanings that are colouring the above thoughts :-).
Last edited by Nick on Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.