Recording Vinyl

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 Recording Vinyl

Post by simon »

Bit of a long shot but I thought I'd ask :-)

I've tried to record some vinyl on my laptop using Audacity so I can burn a CD to play in the car, but there's something not quite right. It's a long time since I last did something like this using my old desktop system and the soundcard software and it worked well enough then.

But whilst I have sound being recorded through the laptop's microphone input there's an odd waveform that sounds like a clicking noise. This happens when the phono stage is connected directly to the laptop with no record playing, see the first screenshot.

When I play a record the music is superimposed on this clicking noise, and there seems to be some distortion on it too, or perhaps it's just the underlying problem that's cocking the signal up? See second screenshot.

I'm using Audacity 1.3 beta and the laptop's internal sound card is a Realtek.

Anybody got any ideas?
Attachments
First screenshot - recording silence
First screenshot - recording silence
Second screenshot - recording music
Second screenshot - recording music
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi Simon
Yep I think the phono stages output will be on the high side I have a usb device I plug into the computer usb socket and I then plug the input of this device into the tape out on the amp so just try plugging the computer into the aux/tape out off the amp :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I tend to use an analogue volume control as well as the phono, to get the levels right, that is, of course, assuming too much volume is your issue.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

The usual problem I find is the laptop's power supply adds a buzz on the signals if anything earthed is plugged into it. Hence I use isolation transformers in the audio link.

But also see above, input level is easily over the top without a means of controlling it.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

colin.hepburn wrote:Hi Simon
Yep I think the phono stages output will be on the high side I have a usb device I plug into the computer usb socket and I then plug the input of this device into the tape out on the amp so just try plugging the computer into the aux/tape out off the amp :)
Hi Colin,

I don't have any tape outs, I'm a bit more, er, hairshirt than that ;-). Not sure about the input level being too high - I reduced the level of the soundcard and the recording level in Audacity so that it wasn't saturating. But I get the peculiar clicking noise with no signal from a record...
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Andrew wrote:I tend to use an analogue volume control as well as the phono, to get the levels right, that is, of course, assuming too much volume is your issue.

Andrew
I could try running it through the passive pre, but I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow if I get chance.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Mike H wrote:The usual problem I find is the laptop's power supply adds a buzz on the signals if anything earthed is plugged into it. Hence I use isolation transformers in the audio link.
That's very interesting Mike, I'll try running it from the battery tomorrow too.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

I have this software but I haven't used it yet but I see it has click track and other settings under the generate tap could it be one is set to on of something
Just an idea a setting you may have mist
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Any chance of posting an audio clip of the interference somewhere on't t'interweb ?

You might need to open a freebie account here to do it www.mediafire.com
Chris :happy3:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

simon wrote:
Mike H wrote:The usual problem I find is the laptop's power supply adds a buzz on the signals if anything earthed is plugged into it. Hence I use isolation transformers in the audio link.
That's very interesting Mike, I'll try running it from the battery tomorrow too.
Yep turn the mains off and it all goes quiet just like that. Actually that's how I used to do it before sorting out the audio link.

And before anyone asks this applies to both my notebooks using completely different USB audio adaptors. Actually the older notbook is worse for the noise so probs depends how the SMPS mains adaptor gizmo is designed as well. And there's no mains earth on these.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Hmmm.

Doesn't make any difference whether the laptop is plugged into the mains or not, but there was a completely different waveform tonight - much more irregular, random almost. No idea why this might be.

But I tried taking the signal from the output of the passive pre to the laptop (rather than direct from the phono) and it seems to work... The difference is a selector switch and a stepped attenuator. But with the volume turned up full to maintain the signal it seems to works... But why I don't know. I'll try recording a side later and see what happens.
The Stratmangler wrote:Any chance of posting an audio clip of the interference somewhere on't t'interweb ?
I was going to but a 12s clip is over 2MB! S'pose I could convert it to MP3 perhaps.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

simon wrote:
The Stratmangler wrote:Any chance of posting an audio clip of the interference somewhere on't t'interweb ?
I was going to but a 12s clip is over 2MB! S'pose I could convert it to MP3 perhaps.
It took less than 2 minutes to upload this http://www.mediafire.com/?8fq440e6w3u26mu , and my DSL is not the fastest either.

Chocolate Noddy to the first one to post the time signature of the title track of the album the track is from. :twisted:
Chris :happy3:
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Blimey that was quick. It uploaded over 4MB in less than a minute.

Clip of "silence" here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sh4opfuixwyaqy9
Clip of music here: http://www.mediafire.com/?giqgv7mqh11x9z8

Hope it works...
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

The Stratmangler wrote:Chocolate Noddy to the first one to post the time signature of the title track of the album the track is from. :twisted:
You're having a giraffe right? :lol: Odd bits reminded me a little of The Flaming Lips - who (or what) is it?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

4-4 ? :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)