Squeezebox woe

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Okay, I give up. I too am going to plug the hard drive into my PC and set up the software so the SB will read this drive over wi-fi and leave my PC's hard drive to get on with being a PC.

Now, this being the case, what really is the point of a 'Touch' (that neer gets touched because of the remote control and a USB port that can only handle a very limited amount of music? The Classic v3 (I think it is called) is cheaper and more sleak - indeed on eBay they can be picked up for a (few) songs!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Okay, I give up. I too am going to plug the hard drive into my PC and set up the software so the SB will read this drive over wi-fi and leave my PC's hard drive to get on with being a PC.

Now, this being the case, what really is the point of a 'Touch' (that neer gets touched because of the remote control and a USB port that can only handle a very limited amount of music? The Classic v3 (I think it is called) is cheaper and more sleak - indeed on eBay they can be picked up for a (few) songs!
The Touch does handle 24/96 files natively.
It's also possible to use a web browser (I use my laptop, which is not running server, as server is run on a static machine) to control Squeezeboxes of all flavours if you use computer based Squeezebox Server - the Touch on its own can't touch it.
You will also find that 24/192 files will play (provided you don't muck about with settings) as the server can downsample on the fly.

The Touch also sounds better via the analog outs (I know 'cos I have both running here).
And lastly, the Touch is a better transport, as it's (allegedly) quieter electrically via its SPDIF output.
Chris :happy3:
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I haven't got a Classic so didn't know what you say Chris. But what is point of USB socket when it behaves so misearbly?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

andrew Ivimey wrote:I haven't got a Classic so didn't know what you say Chris. But what is point of USB socket when it behaves so misearbly?
I agree with you.

But I also think that the designers expected everyone to use MP3 files, which wouldn't have hit the processing buffers.

Just about all of my stuff is FLAC, only a few are of ALAC, and even fewer MP3.
And as I ran an SB3 before the Touch, when I got a Touch I simply incorporated into an already stable running setup.
So I haven't encountered any of the issues of running on TinySC.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

OK tried it.

There where a few issues initially connecting which I think where down to the USB cable not fully seating but after that it worked OK. Sometimes it lost connection to the library and then the drive and at one point when trying to play a track it started to re-buffer. Re-plugging the cable seemed to cure this and it was fine afterwards.

I created a directory and dumped about 180 tracks into it 50/50 split between FLAC and MP3...no graphics. It could only add 100 tracks to the playlist which is a limitation in TinySC but it worked OK if a little slow...

SB Touch firmware was/is 7.5.4

I've no plans to change!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Are all USB cables capable of transmitting at the same data rate ?

ie a cable made for USB 1, will it work OK with USB 2 and USB 3 ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

pre65 wrote:Are all USB cables capable of transmitting at the same data rate ?

ie a cable made for USB 1, will it work OK with USB 2 and USB 3 ?
USB2 connections will work quite happily with a USB1 cable, but the cable is the bottleneck, and won't allow USB2 data transmission rates.
USB3 is probably the same in that respect.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

It may be as simple as having 'up-graded' to 7.6.1. The USB port is next to useless. I will try a few other experiments; like just how few gigabutes it takes for the SB server to crash. Right now it seems to be more than 16 and fewer than 320.

What a piece of dung!
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

100gig of measly .Flac with no folder art and the USB hard drive works.

Do I care?

And then the SB tells me it is able to download 7.7 (It told me that last week but failed to download it) Now SB has 7.7 (It cannot be worse!) except what's this...?

Now SB is re-reading the USB hard drive and the PC hard drive so neither 'music folder' is available.

Where's that axe?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Careful Eugene...

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote:
Where's that axe?
Woodman, spare that squeezebox. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Then both became available and played nicely so its back to testing the USB port. I'm loading up a er...load of folders stacked with art and music and we'll see. I'm not hopeful.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

After a couple of 'wipe and rescans' version 7.7 has allowed the SB to load all the information to give 330Gig of music and Folder Art to load from a had drive on the USB port. All loaded and cached or whatever it does.

It appears to Work!
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Good show Andrew!

I had some larks today.

At approx 2.00 this afternoon the Virgin Media broadband connection went down.

This incident locked up my router and screwed up its settings so much I had to reset it to factory defaults and recreate the wireless network from scratch.

This had also somehow screwed up the computer which in its confused state wrecked the media server software,
which had to be reinstalled from a backup, as I had no internet connection, which then confused the SB player,
which kept reporting that it could not locate the media library because I had recreated my network and it was still trying to locate the old one,
even though the new one was identical in every way including network name and passwords.

5 hours later I am back in business. I almost lost the will to live.

What kind of WAN fault is it can take down a whole internal network on the other side of a firewall?
Jeez! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

SteveTheShadow wrote:Good show Andrew!

I had some larks today.

At approx 2.00 this afternoon the Virgin Media broadband connection went down.

This incident locked up my router and screwed up its settings so much I had to reset it to factory defaults and recreate the wireless network from scratch.

This had also somehow screwed up the computer which in its confused state wrecked the media server software,
which had to be reinstalled from a backup, as I had no internet connection, which then confused the SB player,
which kept reporting that it could not locate the media library because I had recreated my network and it was still trying to locate the old one,
even though the new one was identical in every way including network name and passwords.

5 hours later I am back in business. I almost lost the will to live.

What kind of WAN fault is it can take down a whole internal network on the other side of a firewall?
Jeez! :roll: :roll: :roll:
That's how my day goes when I have to tell Ubuntu to work with a new printer!