Squeezebox woe

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

After an hour and a half it still scanning - looking for new and changed media files and itwon't access the Music Folder as I have created the folders within. Instead it has its own fabulously complicated and really stupid categorisation scheme.

This is INFURIATING!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Yup, I've had that very same problem tonight but only on a handful of mp3 files MrI, I was going round in circles.

I couldn't work out why only half the songs on Mud Slide Slim were showing in the playlist after I'd imported the whole album into the flac folder on the server. I'd neatly created a folder but Squeezebox wasn't seeing it.

I think it looks for the 'tags' for the artist and track details (amongst other things).

I had to correct the tags (right click on the file, select properties, then 'summary' and then correct the wrong file/track/album/artist info) and then rescan to get the files to play in the correct order and display the correct info.

Flac file might be different, I've not had to do it to any of those yet.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Indeed it does. If you download a tag editor (i use this http://download.cnet.com/Tag-Rename/300 ... 41852.html which is free for 1 month, but there are plenty of free ones out there) all will be explained.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I just told the bastard to stop scanning and then it recognised my 'custom' categories.

Normal service has been resumed. But I can see the point of this Tag editor thingie.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Right, its been a while ... system 7.7.0 really seems to eb stable and happy. The hard drive plugged into USB is happy and all else is well. Squeezebox seems to prefer wi-fi to USB but the latter will do the job without glitches and displays all the artwork so this should be the end of the woe and we should be back to the WOW!

Did I tell you how much I liked even a knocked up from scratch PSU in preference to the wall wart? :-)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

If not, you have now. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

I've finally given up with any updates beyond 7.5.4.

Not because they are necessarily bad for other people but that they simply are too flaky on my aging iMac G5.

All Macs have been Intel since 2007 so I can't imagine my old Motorola PowerPC architecture is very high on the priority list of the developers these days.

The 7.6.1 software music scanner failed to do its job 60% of the time
and the 7.7.0 update was just as bad. It worked fine for a few weeks then started playing up like 7.6; very disappointing as I had initially been quite pleased with it.

Throwing all the software and its associated prefs, caches etc in the trash and doing a clean install of of SB server 7.5.4, from my May backup has at last restored sonic and operational bliss.

I disabled software update checking in the server application and for good measure put a rule in my outgoing connections monitor that prevents the server software from ever phoning home...period.

Maybe now I can once more enjoy the trouble-free performance I had when I first bought the Touch.

My Mac does everything I want it to perfectly well, though it is eight years old. I'm not about to upgrade it quite yet. When I do I'll give LMS 7.7.0 another go.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I suspect the software writers are using all the latest PC's, and also may tend not to fully understand the cross platform problems, is what it sounds like to me

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Its more than just the developers. The current release of xcode (the Apple dev system) doesn't include the ppc32 and ppc64 bit targets anymore.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nick wrote:Its more than just the developers. The current release of xcode (the Apple dev system) doesn't include the ppc32 and ppc64 bit targets anymore.
That figures Nick
PPC on the Mac at least is way, way obsolete now.

I'd probably be better off with a NAS device with Twonky Media or a WinHS setup for the music now.

The new Project StreamBox looks like a good buy at half the price of the
MF M1 CLiC.

With my existing M1 DAC and the Twonky setup on my WD NAS it ought to make some good sounds.
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

SteveTheShadow wrote:I'd probably be better off with a NAS device
For sure !! :thumbleft:

I've had no issues at all with my Netgear ReadyNAS DUO Steve. Not too pricey for a 2nd hand one either and it's got native support for SBS too. It's not the most powerful kid on the block, but it seems to work a treat in its sole role as the SBS.
©2020 Lee