Greetings from Kent /East Sussex Borderland

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
David
User

#1 Greetings from Kent /East Sussex Borderland

Post by David »

Hello All,
I have built several WAD amps over the years-KAT34, Pre3, 300b monoblocs-as well as spiffing up an Audio Note anologue digital converter. Currently trying to finish a WAD 300b clone and also selling two kits for these that became surplus to requirements. These are the same stainless steel chassis /tranny set that ended up in Andrew Ivimey's possession at one time (if no longer).

BTW, Tunbridge Wells has a great indie live music scene run by a good mate of mine. 160 bands on a roster and four bands performing live twice per week, nore around Christmas /New Year.
Cheers for now,
David
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Hi from another new (to here at least) member - Goudhurst....

I checked with my lads - both in the 6th form in TW - they seemed a bit indifferent to the indie scene in TW - said there were a couple they liked... mainly due to there being so many schools in the area with decent groups...

Cheers
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
David
User

#3 Indie Scene

Post by David »

HI,
Surprised your lads are so fickle! Good up and coming bands play in the Forum but the best scene is in the Grey Lady. There are four bands twice per week, and of these, the first on the bill is someone starting out e.g a school band/young singer (and many of these are from the 6th form schools), the second someone on the verge of making it, the 3rd someone who has got their first small recording thing going, and the fourth ehadliners, someone who has made it, or someone who has previously made it. I don't know of anywhere in London even with such a weekly variety and at a fiver to get in, great value.

And live music keeps me away from the system too......
Cheers
David
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#4 Re: Indie Scene

Post by jack »

David wrote:HI,
Surprised your lads are so fickle!
Not fickle - more practical - beer is 3 quid a pint in the Pantiles - its cheaper elsewhere!

Cheers!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Greetings from another of the Kent Massiff. Different area admittedly and different music demographic here in Dartfud.

We ain't down with no indie schnizzle.....We be heavy rollin' wid Hip Hop and Gangsta beats innit, 'spect! :-)

Hello!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
David
User

#6 Greetings!

Post by David »

Dartford sure is scarey after Tunbridge Wells, and yep that sort of music does not get much of an airing! Made a trip there right before Christmas and my client gave me all sorts of scarey stats abut the population there too.......but friendly enough :D :D
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Greetings!

Post by pre65 »

David wrote:Dartford sure is scarey after Tunbridge Wells, and my client gave me all sorts of scarey stats abut the population there too.......:D

It's all true. :wink:

Much nicer in North Essex (very nearly Suffolk). :lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Out in the sticks, it's like going back in time to the middle ages :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:Out in the sticks, it's like going back in time to the middle ages :lol:

Not arf !! If I want a Tyrannosaurus Rex steak for tea all I need to do is pop out wiv me bow and arrow. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yes it's very quaint.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Hi David, welcome to the madhouse.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12 Re: Greetings!

Post by jack »

David wrote:Dartford sure is scarey after Tunbridge Wells, and yep that sort of music does not get much of an airing! Made a trip there right before Christmas and my client gave me all sorts of scarey stats abut the population there too.......but friendly enough :D :D
Scary is the right word - we used to train at the old Dartford Judo Club - one of the UK "centres of excellence" - full of black belts & internationals, it is... but at night, they go in pairs to the cash machine in the town centre in case they're mugged, and a tramp, asleep on a bench in the park just outside the club, was set on fire by a couple of locals and burnt to death.

Admittedly this was a few years ago - it could be worse now...
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Greetings!

Post by Dave the bass »

nickds1 wrote: Admittedly this was a few years ago - it could be worse now...
That was Gentleman Jim IIRC.

It can be dodgy. Same as any Town I suppose, I spend a lot of time in that park Skateboarding when its not raining, seen lots of things and avoided lot's of 'scenes' but it's not as dodgy as a lot of places I've skated in TBH.

Mad Kev, another one of our local tramps died last year but there wasn't any foul play there. http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/north ... est_hears/

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Interesting story.

Every town's got its share of homeless, druggies, burglars, yobs .....

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:Interesting story.

Every town's got its share of homeless, druggies, burglars, yobs .....

In my village they all at the same bungalow. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Edmund Burke