Replacing an i-Pod battery

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Nick wrote:Well, I think its ok to express a opinion and then to acknowledge that others may have different views.

Much like some who have scant regard for classical music seemingly on class war basis.

Bloomin' heck, ever wish sometimes one would keep one's trap jolly well shut? I wish I had.

Would it be my good self you're referring to with that reference to classical music Mr Nick? If it is, that's not entirely true of me but I daresay it's an opinion that could be formed about me from what I've said on that subject here in the past.

Class war? Class war? I'm not in any class war, I have time for anybody if they're ok.

Back in '69 I think it was our friend Karen attended the Lucy Clayton modelling school and was invited to a party by a fellow would-be catwalk participant and told to bring a few friends.

The girl who invited us to the party was well off, the party was in a flat overlooking Hyde Park Corner. At one end of the room were a bunch of very well off fellows, one might say they had breeding, and at the opposite pole of the (rather large) room were about half a dozen yobs from SE London Council estates - us.

The atmosphere was fraught, strained, it was like trying to mix oil and water. One of our number skinned up and as we passed it around one of the toffs approached us. We thought he was going to ask us to put the joint out but he said 'I say, is that a joint? Do you mind if we share with you?'

So we shared our puff with these fellas and the evening was a success, we mingled, drank beer, played records, talked and ogled the females, the usual party stuff.

So there's one instance of how drugs can unite seperate cultures, no class war here bruv.

I'm not fond of classical music, tis true, very little classical music moves me, sad to say, but I've tried. Still trying in fact. And from my observation classical music is favoured more by the middle and upper classes than by your normal working class geezer. Don't know why, exactly, but it seems that way to me.

Talking of the landed gentry I've found the more stinking rich an individual is, the more likely they are to be rather good company, often possessing an eccentric personality as well. It's the middle classes who would aspire to be richer that normally have their nose stuck firmly in the air and a bad attitude. If I may be so bold to generalise.

I have been referred to as an armchair charioteer. I see. Today I ran 100 metres of loudspeaker cable along some school corridors and the reel ran out just three metres from the last loudspeaker. Three metres was less than the amount I had discarded at previous loudspeaker locations so that was very annoying, having to start a new reel just for a short run.

I mention that as I didn't do that from an armchair. And I know that's not much of an analogy, but I try ;)

People who say, seriously, a given piece of music is crap/rubbish/bilge/whatever is a pet dislike of mine. To me it displays arrogance and possibly ignorance.

If the comment is made in a jokey way to me that's acceptable but for somebody to mean it in a nasty way just irks me. Perhaps I'm too sensitive and making a mountain out of a molehill.

I'd word it as 'That music doesn't do anything for me at all' or even say 'To me, that's crap'. Two little words 'To me' make all the difference. There will always be somebody who likes any piece of music that has ever been made so to me that justifies it as not being crap, no matter how horrible it sounds to me.

Am I wrong to think ill of people who condemn music as crap without justification of their comment? Probably, but that's the way I am.

As for this tech talk, I have not a clue what you're talking about as my depth of understanding is quite some way below other member's knowledge of the subject.

My only qualification in this area is a City & Guilds Pt III certificate in Electronic Servicing in colour TV reception and digital techniques, gained in 1985 and most of which I've forgotten.

I can put something together but I don't know why it does what it does, usually.

26 years ago after gaining that qualification I started repairing audio visual equipment but soon discovered there was more money to be made laying cable and installing public address systems than in fault finding at component level.

I have rambled on, if any of my comments in this post or previous posts in this thread caused offence, please accept my apologies.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

If it is, that's not entirely true of me but I daresay it's an opinion that could be formed about me from what I've said on that subject here in the past.
Ah well, its all I have to go on. Everyone is nicer in real life (not that I am suggesting any lack of nice in your online persona).
And of course the biggest turn off against classical music is that it's toff's music, the domain of the learned gentry, only for those with oodles of wonga and complimentary season tickets to Ascot.
And then to almost exactly match Gregs post
No longer true of course but the stigma persists.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

yeah but what does that mean. I've (metaphorically) shared joints (and the odd duvet - ooooerrrr-) with toffs or do I mean toffettes; arff.

They come across as okay becaue they couldn't give a shit about working class oiks (tres amusants). They are protected, insulated even from the 'common (wo)man' so mixing it with the poor is just a jolly jape.

a lot of tossers don't like classical music even if they are waving flags at the Albert Hall - do I care? nope. a lot of peeps are also missing out on extraordinary joy because they think that anything unamplified and possibly played by penguin suited peepsmusic is shite because it takes many years of hard graft to play the stuff - or do we forget that in this celebrity ridden culture where what is important is the lable we wear? 'everybody in this room is wearing a uniform and don't kid yourselves'.

some peeps I know listen avidly to Shostakovitch, the grateful dead, fleetwood Mac and sandy bloody denny - that's okay too

me? I hate it all - everything - .
Last edited by andrew Ivimey on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote:
Greg wrote:
Dave the bass wrote: It's from this ace bit of music Mike...

DTB
Absolute crap. Nothing 'Ace' about it whatsoever.

That shows.........It's all very much about personal taste.
If I had a glove and I was with you at this moment.....you'd you'd...you'd have a sore cheek ...fe sho!

pistols at dawn dude!
...and I'd be biting his knees!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

So about this I-Pod battery...
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hmmm, I really didn't intend to stir anything up. The bottom line is I don't have any time for Capt. Beefheart. His stuff does absolutely nothing for me and please believe, I've tried to get into it all many times.

My post was me just being me which I think Nick (and I'm sure others who know me) completely recognise.

It's not an issue. Sometimes (actually mostly) I post my thoughts in a robust manner. No offence ever intended. Today I've had a career review with my manager. Same thing came up but he is so lame, nout came out of the discussion. Sorry, I'm plain speaking, say what I think at the relevant time and move on. However, when any challenge made is obviously valid, I'll readily think on and adapt if necessary.......and publically acknowledge to that effect.

For me, bottom line is all Capt Beefheart stuff is crap. It does nothing for me. I respect others really like his stuff. So beit.

Like what you like. What you like may not be what I like. Likewise, what I like you may not like........so what?

Greg
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

So what indeed.

So where do we draw the line at being straight spoken and offensive?

In earlier years I used to say just what I thought, mostly without weighing up the consequences, my mouth has landed me in more trouble than I care to remember. And sometimes people hit me which wasn't very nice.

With the passing of years I have, hopefully, learnt some degree of tact and do think about other people when issuing forth with words. People don't hit me so much now, which is good.

I don't have a manager, I just have me. I suppose I could have a review meeting with myself, that might be fun.

S'a funny thing, in this life I can honestly say I've only ever hated three poeple, which I think isn't too bad a record, and all of them have been managers. And in each instance - bullies.

I hit one, walked out on another and the third one gave me a mini nervous breakdown before I became redundant. I do like answering to just me.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

So where do we draw the line at being straight spoken and offensive?
It may sound trite, but it takes action on both parts to offend someone, the one feeling offended has to give a toss in the first place. I personally find it not worth the bother.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

floppybootstomp wrote:So where do we draw the line at being straight spoken and offensive?
Hmmm, sorry, I'm really not getting this. I've not been offensive to anyone. I've simply expressed my opinion (in my usual robust style) about the product of Capt Beefheart. To me it is crap. I've acknowledged others like his stuff and I respect that. The End.
Richard
User

Post by Richard »

floppybootstomp wrote:S'a funny thing, in this life I can honestly say I've only ever hated three poeple, which I think isn't too bad a record, and all of them have been managers. And in each instance - bullies.

I hit one, walked out on another and the third one gave me a mini nervous breakdown before I became redundant. I do like answering to just me.
Assuming they were in chronological order, was life simpler in those days or did we just have simpler solutions when we were younger? Is this the bottled up result of a pc system where the victim suffers? I often wonder when we see the cars driving worse than ever once clear of speed cameras. People need to express themselves sometimes and most know the bounds. I bought a Capt Beefheart LP at the last record fair and played it once but I think my time in that era has passed, pass the party seven... no don't bother :lol:
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Well I quite like him, ;-) 'Safe as Milk' is my fav. but I spect many would say that this is just baby food and I need to go deeper.

Were things easier in the past? we were younger, more impressionable, more energy, (possibly) more forgiving, less robust?

As for car drivers poooooeeee. After having drunk more than my tolerance level for coffee the other day I said fond farewell to Philip and drove home. I was driving like a maniac. At first I thought it was 'them'. Then, the next day I set off to work and flippin'eck, just how badly can people drive and get away with it!

This time, it was not me! - astonished and perplexed by many things.

What were we talking about? :)
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Richard
User

Post by Richard »

"Strictly personal" is the album I got, "safe as milk" is on it, probably going on about party seven I guess though most of it's incomprehensible :lol:

Caravan, now I was listening to the pink and grey land of caravans yesterday and wondered if any of their other albums were good or is this their only real claim to fame?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

floppybootstomp wrote:I don't have a manager, I just have me. I suppose I could have a review meeting with myself, that might be fun.

I do it all the time. I usually end up giving myself a bollocking then walking out in a huff :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Have you tried firing yourself? How do you feel? :)
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Mike H wrote:
floppybootstomp wrote:I don't have a manager, I just have me. I suppose I could have a review meeting with myself, that might be fun.

I do it all the time. I usually end up giving myself a bollocking then walking out in a huff :lol:

Quite so, quite so.

Sometimes when travelling on the tube, say, between Embankment and Parsons Green, I decide to give the staff a pep talk and explain for the umpteenth time why, although it dismays me, management cannot at this time give a pay rise to their valued staff.

Trouble is, why I'm rabbiting away to myself in two distinct personalities and personnas, people they look at me kinda funny, even the buskers move away.

But it makes me feel good.

I have learnt one thing in this life - you can be whatever you want to be and it doesn't mean a damn thing. You have a business card with 'Head of Department' printed on it? Make you feel good?

Work for yourself and you can print on that card whatever you want, whatever takes your mood that day. And the weirdest thing of all is people will believe it, all you have to do is be ernest and believe it yourself and then other folk will believe it. Funny things, homo sapiens.

Mind you, don't mean diddly squat unless you bringing in folding to buy cans of beanz.

Firing myself? Of course I have, frequently, lol

I say to myself 'Man you really made a mess of that you're fired cos you are so useless'

Luckily for me, person signing cheque does not observe my percieved low quality of work and actually appears quite pleased with how I seem to have rearranged their building with strands of copper flowing here and there.

Low thresholds of quality or maybe I set my own stakes too high. If everything works and there are no complaints invoice is issued. And settled, usually, within a month.

It could be worse, it could be worse. And it almost was, once or twice.