QNAP Death

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 QNAP Death

Post by simon »

Whilst cooking tea last night the consumer unit rcd tripped. Eventually I traced the problem to the electronic ignition of the gas hob (not that I was using the ignition when the power cut happened). Once I'd isolated it the rcd was okay again.

Bugger I thought, there's a job to sort out. Later on I realised that the fancy display on Sue's DAB clock radio wasn't happy and the QNAP had died :x. I'm not sure what happened but I can't believe all three are a coincidence.

Most important obviously is the QNAP as it's running SlimCenter and has all my flac library and photos etc. I checked the power supply and it's providing the required 12V, but the QNAP itself is dead. I've taken the case apart and can't see anything obviously wrong, not that I know what I'm looking for. In fact trying to have a go at reparing it is beyond me.

Anyone got any ideas? The damned thing was even plugged in to a trailing socket with surge protection.

I think my options are:

1 Throw it against the wall in a fit of pique
2 Hope the hard disk is still viable (I have a backup from a little while ago) and buy a new bare NAS drive to house it
3 But a NAS drive with RAID capability and add my existing drive
4 Buy a new setup

Bum.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

I don't really know what this stuff is but I'm going to assume it's a hard disk with a PSU and if the PSU is ok then it seems to me the HDD is knackered.

Which brings home the need to NEVER rely on a HDD for permanent storage.

Hard disks are mechanical devices and most mechanical devices eventually fail.

Think about it.

The key word here is backup, ideally two backups in two different physical places.

Seen too many tears on this subject.

Can't give any help or solutions to current problems but I do commiserate with you.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Can you try the hard drive as a slave in your PC and see if the contents can be read ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

What was it running?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Try another PSU first.
If you've got one of the Maplin SMPS with variable output jobbies that will do.
Chris :happy3:
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

floppybootstomp wrote:I don't really know what this stuff is but I'm going to assume it's a hard disk with a PSU and if the PSU is ok then it seems to me the HDD is knackered.

Which brings home the need to NEVER rely on a HDD for permanent storage.

Hard disks are mechanical devices and most mechanical devices eventually fail.

Think about it.

The key word here is backup, ideally two backups in two different physical places.

Seen too many tears on this subject.

Can't give any help or solutions to current problems but I do commiserate with you.
I have a backup Tony. It's a couple of months old but I don't think I've lost too much if the worst comes to the worst.

It's a NAS drive so it has a HDD in a fancy case along with a processor etc. There looks to be power going in, but no lights come on etc. when I try to boot the NAS. Perhaps wrongly I assumed this meant that there was a problem with the NAS side rather than the HDD. But maybe the NAS drive won't boot because the HDDs dead?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

pre65 wrote:Can you try the hard drive as a slave in your PC and see if the contents can be read ?
I did think of that but it will have to wait until the weekend when I have some time. Not sure how compatible it is with a PC though...
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I don't know what a QNAP is but if it runs on a PSU is it possibly 1 or more of the supply rails have dropped due to the power being shut off by the RCD?

At work we've had various SMPS's pop out after mains power failures, some seem quite sensitive to it.

Sorry to hear of yer woe's Simon.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

simon wrote:
pre65 wrote:Can you try the hard drive as a slave in your PC and see if the contents can be read ?
I did think of that but it will have to wait until the weekend when I have some time. Not sure how compatible it is with a PC though...
Thats why I asked what its running :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Nick wrote:What was it running?
Good question. I'm not sure - it's whatever it comes with, some form of Linux I think. It was running SqueezeCenter on SSOTS (SlimServer on Turbo NAS). This is part of the problem for me, messing around with tarballs and getting lucky finding webpages with script files and explicit instructions on how to update the software isn't really ideal. Which is why I wonder about a Microsoft Home Serve (spit). It might be Windows but at least it's Windows. Dunno.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Nick wrote:
simon wrote:
Thats why I asked what its running :-)
Gizza chance! :D

Our work internet connection is rather slow and it doesn't help that the nannying protocols don't allow access to anything remotely connected to music so peeps can't stream and slow things down further. Sadly it's rather a blanket ban...
Last edited by simon on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

The Stratmangler wrote:Try another PSU first.
If you've got one of the Maplin SMPS with variable output jobbies that will do.
Yep, got one, I'll give it a try later.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Dave the bass wrote:I don't know what a QNAP is but if it runs on a PSU is it possibly 1 or more of the supply rails have dropped due to the power being shut off by the RCD?

At work we've had various SMPS's pop out after mains power failures, some seem quite sensitive to it.

Sorry to hear of yer woe's Simon.

DTB
Thanks Dave, yer a veggie-in-arms.

So you think it might be similar to Chris - try a different plug-in power supply jobbie? Or do you think something inside has gone pop?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

simon wrote: Or do you think something inside has gone pop?
Well, IME we've had just PSU's die after a lab/bench RCD has tripped in the past. Each time the comp survived, it was just the PSU.

Fingers crossed for ya veggieBruv.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Hi Simon

I admit I havn't read every word on this thread so ignore if mentioned before.....

have you posted on the qnap forum?
Is there a POST(power on self test) beep sequence at switch on? most logic related equipment has one of some sorts....

just a couple of thoughts...it's such a specific bit of kit you might get bogged in the guesswork
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be