Yorkshire Lass music lover

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Samantha
User

#1 Yorkshire Lass music lover

Post by Samantha »

Hi,

Mo invited me to join this place & he recommended that I should give a little introduction.

I am a music lover first and hi-fi is the means to the end. I first got into hi-fi when I wandered into Sound Organisation in York many years back. Tracey Chapman was playing on an LP12 and I had previously thought my Pioneer stack system was the bizz.

I listened to some Kans, a Nait, Sara 9s, Exposure X ....... went away to see how much I could raise by grovelling down the back of the sofa. Not enough. :lol:

So, some years later I had read all the mags and I returned confident that from what the mags said, the Pioneer A400 amp was all I needed and would trounce any amp upto and over £1,000. After hearing it - I stopped reading the mags and went away to save some more. :roll:

Short while later I finally had my first ever 'proper' hi-fi. I still had the Pioneer CD player, but had the new Linn Intek amp and Epos ES11s on KuStone stands. I was a happy bunny.

A year later I passed my professional exams and my pressie to myself was a Meridian 200/203 8)

The Intek made way for Cambridge Audio C70/P70 (second hand bargain from a neighbour), then the Epos made way for some Linn Nexus SEs (from same neighbour ..... think he was sweet on me actually, but the price was def right!)

A girlfriend of mine over in Gildersome and fellow music fan became the new owner of my Intek and Epos and then when the Meridian was replaced - she got that and so is really happy with her system.

I ended up with Naim CDX, 102/180, Hicap and SBLs. I was happy for a long time (I'm not a box swapper) but then earlier this year I realised I wasn't playing music as much as I once had. Partly because I realised I had changed taste (must be the getting older bit :wink: ) and the system simply wasn't doing it for me anymore. Plus it was fussy and wanted to dictate what music I played.

Anyway, I expressed this on another forum and a friendly chap sent me a PM inviting me to listen to his system.
I went with an open mind, but some prior prejudices. I had heard just 1 valve amp previously and it got very muddled on complex music. Wasn't for me. I heard the Decware set amp and my old prejudice went.
The system I heard impressed me a lot, but wasn't for me completely - but showed me that I could listen to options including valves.

So, I went off to Doncaster HiFi studios where they are selling off all their old demo kit, told Jeff that he could forget what I currently have etc, open mind, just want to hear 'stuff' and don't tell me anything about any of it - not even the price. I want to judge only on the music.

I didn't buy any of the speakers as none were just right. But I found my amp. In fact, despite having gone in my weekend toy rather than the sensible daily driver - I wanted to take it away there and then so it had to come with me unboxed and carefully positioned in the passenger footwell.

Next day I had a trip up to Scotland to hear some speakers being sold, so I took my new amp and travelled 4 1/2 hours. Listened to some music, then drove back.

Now I have a system that suits me sooooo much better than the old kit.
I am not knocking the old stuff as I do think that the Olive stuff can be very good, and it served me well for 9 years (ish). But it never sounded like this.

So, the system I now run:

Naim CDX with CDSPS
Unison Research S8
Audio Physic Avanti III

and recent addition:

Michell Gyrodeck with Orbe Platter, Chasis & clamp, Origin Live OL1 and Grado Prestige Gold MM cartridge.

Hopefully apart from perhaps little things (like a better phono stage at some point since I have a real cheapy), I need spend no money on boxes and can just enjoy the music. :D

Always interested to hear new tunes and sounds though, and open minded. Love my music and hope to meet a few fellow music fans along the way.

Sam
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

Wow - long intro .... if you get bored reading that lot - cut to the chase... "Hi"

:D
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

Hi Samantha
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Hi Samantha.
Yours is a familiar tale of dealers, and the never ending road from the bank to audio happiness.
Hope you find something to interest you here.
Good sound doesn't have to be very expensive, if you keep an open mind.
iansr
Old Hand

Post by iansr »

Hi Samantha from one new member to another. And yet another from Yorkshire. Excellent!

David C: just seen you're avatar for the first time. If that's a picture of you then I have to report that in the few hours since joining this forum my sexual orientation has mysteriously and inexplicably flipped.

Best regards
Ian
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Samantha,

Welcome.

Ian, when you've been here a while you'll get to recognise that David infact has quite a prestigeous harem all to himself. You can tell his mood according to which avatar he's using at the time :D Easy to be jealous as well. It seems he's got a different girl on every forum :wink:

Besrt wishes,

Greg
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi Samantha
And Welcome too audio talk :D
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

Thanks for the welcomes chaps.

Al - since a lot of my upgrades have been pre-owned, not been too bad on the pocket - especially when I add that this is over a 20 year time frame. :shock:
And I know price doesn't equate to quality - hence me telling my dealer that I didn't want him to tell me the respective prices, nor fetch them in 'escalating' order. Judge on what they do only. :)
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Samantha,

Are you by any chance the lady who used to write queries into the Hi-Fi World letters pages?

Best wishes,

Greg
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi Samantha-nice to see another new face,welcome aboard !

Perhaps you will be able to attend our next Fest and see what us blokes have been building in our spare time.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

Greg wrote:Samantha,

Are you by any chance the lady who used to write queries into the Hi-Fi World letters pages?

Best wishes,

Greg
Nope - I had one letter published in New Hi-Fi Sound back before I stopped reading any of them - that was when I was considering the Sara 9s which I never actually bought.

Pre65 - sounds like fun.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi Samantha
I| no the feeling when you say you realised you had changed music taste as the long haired aging hippie 8) that I am I was into 70s heavy metal stuff I.E black Sabbath yes focus and a load of others know I'm a blues man and just starting with live jazz but don’t know much about it but that’s the fun finding out what I like
I'm still a pink Floyd fan thou.. :roll:
Can you tell us what you are listing too?
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

Greg wrote:

Ian, when you've been here a while you'll get to recognise that David infact has quite a prestigeous harem all to himself. You can tell his mood according to which avatar he's using at the time :D Easy to be jealous as well. It seems he's got a different girl on every forum :wink:

Besrt wishes,

Greg

by way of a change, I give you Katie Melua :D
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
iansr
Old Hand

Post by iansr »

David
I'm sorry but my love has waned, I preferred you as a blonde. I'm fickle like that.

Samantha: at risk of being accused as a sexist git, its refreshing to to hear of a female of the species who knows a baffle from a buffer. Now if you tell me you like science fiction as well I may just have to propose. Be aware of my fickle nature though.

Ian :wink:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-it's a good job that Samantha is a Yorkshire lass and not a Cambourne girl ! :lol:

That would cramp Pauls style with his jokes.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)