Apple TV as Music Streamer.

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, another one of those non existent manufacturing industries that they like to bemoan the lack of in the UK.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Wow....

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

OK, ARM is british, but the chips aren't made in a UK wafer fab are they? I didn't think we had anything with that sort of capability any more. I'd have assumed it was outsourced to TSMC or somesuch.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

When you license a ARM processor you don't get a bit of silicon, you get a bunch of VHDL (or similar) to incorporate into your own device. To quote Wiki

"ARM licensed about 1.6 billion cores in 2005. In 2005, about 1 billion ARM cores went into mobile phones.[7] As of January 2008[update], over 10 billion ARM cores have been built, and iSuppli predicts that 5 billion a year will ship in 2011."

Its why I made the comment about the UK apparently not manufacturing any more, we still seem to be hung up on the "making things you can kick" definition of manufacturing. The small company I work for sells software we write in the UK all over the world, but its been 15 years since we last sent anything physical to a customer.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Exactly. The semiconductor industry in this country used to employ several thousand people designing and manufacturing chips in a number of wafer fabs up and down the country. The designing and licensing still goes on here, but the designs are taped out to Taiwan, and the number of people employed in the industry ia about 20% of what it used to be.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I guess it depends on what you define as "the semiconductor industry". Andrew L will know more, but I would guess for most low speed digital stuff now, bespoke fabs are not needed and it can be implemented using generic FPGA's and the like.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Well this was my bit:

http://www.swindonweb.com/?m=8&s=116&ss ... ey+is+back...

The last paragraph says it all really.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Hmmmm. posted that link in a bit of a hurry without realising that it rambles on a bit! What is also interesting thogh is the link at the bottom which takes you to a history of Garrard. Everything connects...
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, we certainly have sadly lost a lot. I was just trying to fight against the common view that we are down to zero and all that was left of the nation was bankers and sandwich makers.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

It is indeed very interesting, but what I mostly get from that is how companies are founded, relocated, bought out etc., i.e. all driven by market forces and economics. Was ever thus. I note for example it mentions the railway based employment waning, but was fortunately "saved" by Plessey.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Here's a link to Digitimes report on iSuppli's teardown of the AppleTV

Apparently it costs $64 to make leaving $35 for, licensing R&D and a bit left for profit.

Interesting bit is that it is the first electronic device out of 1000, taken apart by iSuppli, to have the Analogix ANX9836 HDMI/digital audio interface.
How relevant that is I'm not sure, but it sure gives the ATV superb sound quality.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20101006PR200.html
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

True enough, what goes around comes around. I guess this hits a raw nerve as someone who used to work preparing chip designs from design companies to be manufactured in a silicon foundry, who was made redundant when they all started going to Taiwan.
What it comes down to is that we're still as good as ever at having brilliant ideas, but we've given up being crap at making stuff from them!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

If you watch Dragons Den there's plenty of people with crap ideas. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

iOS 4.1 for the Apple TV came out yesterday.

Thankfully it now respects the playlist order you originally set up in iTunes, instead
of arranging all the tracks alphabetically whether you liked it or not.
I always knew it was a bug....feature my arse :roll:

The sound quality via its optical digital output has taken something of a step forward too.

A very nice update.

Steve
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Steve, you might find the latest newsletter from PS Audio of interest;

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/newsletters/n ... ewsletter/

First item is the tagNplay music manager, which looks to have the potential to be a really useful/powerful/flexible music library solution. I already use the tagNplay player on my iphone tp play local mp3 music files but also to stream from my home server (where I hold my music as FLAC in Asset UpnP, files are transcoded for playback on the iphone), preferring it to Itunes but with the music manager the overall capability should be much enhanced.

Connected to that there is a bit about using the Apple TV player with tagNplay.

Ray