I hope its not fancy dress

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
iansr
Old Hand

#1 I hope its not fancy dress

Post by iansr »

Having read some of the posts on here I do feel a bit like I'm invading a private members club but hell Nick invited me so here I am. Nick has also kindly arranged for me to make my physical debut at Steve's on Saturday (I assume you are aware of this Steve, oh and Hi by the way) so I look forward to meeting some of you there.

Happy soldering/listening as the case may be.

Ian
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Hi Ian.
Just to reiterate, in case any other lurkers feel the same. Yep, I know it feels like a closed group, but thats just because most of us know each other, but thats no reason why others shouldn't join. The more the merrier.

Just had a thought. One of the reaons why we do seem to be more laid back is we have met each other. Maybe we should make a effort when mre people join, to try and meet them, maybe not ll of us, but anyone who is near by, that would make it a rearly nice place. It may be harder for our overseas members, but maybe we can build up a network.

Just a thought.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

You're very welcome Ian. If it seems like we all know each other it's because we do. :) After Saturday you'll know a few of us too. See you then.

Simon.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Do we have any prospective Dutch members Nick? I still fancy that factory trip to AE :wink:.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-it would be easier to make an offer to meet new local posters IF they filled in the box where they are located !
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, good point Phil.

Maybe we should organise a road trip Simon :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Hi Simon, new faces always very refreshing.

As long as you don't talk about valves, capacitors and the new sounds in your living room.

Oh go on then....do tell :D
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi Ian
Welcome to audio talk
Yes you do get the feeling it’s a privet club sometimes but as said most of the members have met at the varies meetings that they have. but due to some pictures that have been taken of the members at some of the meets this helps to put a face to some of the names which I feel helps a lot for me anyway I can say that I don’t feel that I'm being ignored on here as I do tend to ask to much how do I do this and that but thats down to my crap maths mostly But I kind of like the privet club feel we have on here gives the sense we are more dedicated to the hobby
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hi Ian and welcome.
Yes it's true that most of us on here know each other but only two years ago I didn't even know there was a DIY valve scene going at all.
Very scary when I first saw what they were all talking about and the strange terms they were all using.

But we are all supportive on here and a real bunch of mutual backslappers :D Oops; a bit of rival forum-bashing crept in there, sorry :D

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
iansr
Old Hand

Post by iansr »

Thanks for the your welcomes guys. My comment about the private club was not intended to be a criticism by the way, just kinda saying I'd like to join too!

Happily there seems to be quite a few Yorkshire based members. I originate from Halifax and currently reside just over the Huddersfield boundary. My electronics knowledge is, err, shall we say, limited but I'm hoping to learn more. My ambition is to resurrect John Bonham in my listening room (that's a reference to improving my system and not to some advanced occult rite) and my current preoccupations, albeit not yet physically manifest, (bloody hell that sounds like a black magic reference as well - maybe there was something in all that talk about Jimmy Page) are a DHT gain stage to feed 2 F4 amps that are under construction (not by me) and, seemingly like everyone else in the hi fi universe, open baffle speakers.

Cheers for now
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Ian,

Yes, welcome. Sounds like you've hit a jackpot with the right company here. You'll be wearing the apron in no time at all :wink:

Best wishes,

Greg