Midi blues

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Midi blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

My ancient P4 with Audigy sound card has conked out. It has lasted more than ten years so no (real) hard feelings.

But I find my all singing all dancing snazzy new desktop isn't actually 'all singing'. Several of my midi softwares don't work; Cubase; the platform from which all my midi ventures spring and ReBirth.

What a buggar!

I'm going to find a nice ultra cheap old P4, all serviced and fresh and start again with a superduper setup in the loft with VST instruments coming out of my ears. I'd be happy with Windows 2000 and would, at a pinch, work with XP on this project as this does seem to be a hardware prob. on the ultra modern PC I now possess, not software.

we shall see.

Anyone else Midi out there?
Last edited by andrew Ivimey on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

My current PC is a P4, and it was a pre used item from the local (small) computer shop.

It was quite inexpensive, about £70 for the base unit with XP loaded. All I had to do was increase the memory by robbing from the old computer.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

Post by ed »

where do I start?

1. If your cubase(sassenfrassencursinclaudehopper and steinberg) is old it may not like a dual/multithreading processor...see if you can set single processor in the bios just to test the theory....

2. your latency/drivers are set wrong.......which drivers are you using, wdm or asio

3. I'm not a fan of cubase and havn't looked at it since back in the day, but I feel sure there is an audio setup page.....if you're using audigy(also another product that got negative feedback in the recording fraternity) try asio4all drivers...if using the soundcard for the machine I suggest you try the drivers that came with the install for the mobo....

4. when you say certain things don't work...are these standalone midi progs or vst plugs running under cubase???

5. put the question here: http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/

these are deep, shark infested waters in which you paddle....fixes need absolutely precise descriptions of the problem
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Cubase won't even load so I can't dabble with latency or asio drivers or anything else!

Re-Birth similarly won't load.

Lots to do there is. I like Cubase and did know my way around in the dark, so I think I shall stick with it.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

ahh, I begin to understand

two choices you have....get another retro machine, or latest versions of cubase etc....I'm guessing that cubase has probably gone 64bit now along with all the plugs that steinberg recommend, and thats probably uber expensive.

I'd love to hear some of the ouvre if you can find yourself emailing the midi to me, or uploading the finished tracks, or url etc etc
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be