My Latest and Last Speaker Build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Dave.
Dave the bass wrote:
It is if your field happens to be Digital Animation.

DTB

I think the problem with degree courses such as Digital Animation, is that they are viewed by students as being amongst the least academic. Therefore they are extremely popular with would be students who might get bogged down with maths and science subjects.

When i was looking around at Universities with my daughter, it was this type of course which were oversubscribed, and less appealing courses such as my daughters History and museum studies, were in danger of not being run at all.

Having said that, any degree should be of some benefit when finding work. A graduate who manages to get a job in their chosen field is very lucky by all accounts.
Much to learn there is.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

It wasn't the Maths and Science that put her 'off' doing another degree Al, she was very good at both at School. She's naturally artistic (like her Mum), she wanted to combine Computing and Art as a career, hence the in-roads towards Animation which is summat she been interested in since the age of 7 :-) At the time of her entrance into Uni there were a reasonable amount of Job's in it, I questioned the sanity of her commiting to this as a Uni course and career choice but its her own life and we supported it fully.

There aren't now, the market changed in the 3-4 years she was studying, no 'gap-year', solid graft studying and she worked PT in retail too to help pay her way and keep her grounded, good on her. She's sticking with DA for now but even she has mooted a change if she can't find anything longer lasting than 3 months contracts. Both her and her boyfriend were looking towards Canada where there's more work in DA than here they've found.

Her Brother (like me) didn't do very well at School (like me again) but he's found his niche working for Starbucks, he's a 'people' person and doing well for himself. He's worked continuously for about 3 years there and has enrolled himself on their Management Program.

Odd innit, the one with direction and drive and does very good at school struggles to find work in a field she's very good in whilst the other one had no idea and was a bit of a joker at school and left with poor results is doing well!!!! :lol:

Its a crazee ol' world!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

And without getting into politics, the new lot removing the tax advantage to the UK game industry isnt helping either.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Dave.

Not criticising your step daughters motives for doing the course, just pointing out that there will probably be large numbers of ex students looking for similar work.

I don't know know how my daughter will get on finding a job relating to her course.
I understand the government may do away with museum/arts staff, and expect volunteers to do it.

As usual the funeral trade seems to be the only safe bet.
Much to learn there is.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

al newall wrote:
As usual the funeral trade seems to be the only safe bet.
Dead-end job though innit....

Arf! :-)

DTB
ed
retired

Post by ed »

get to meet some dead interesting people though
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote:get to meet some dead interesting people though
...buncha stiffs .....

DTB
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

I think Chris can probably be forgiven for being a young lad that hasn't lived through a proper recession yet; most of us remember the structural change that occurred 30 years ago.
Nick wrote:And without getting into politics, the new lot removing the tax advantage to the UK game industry isnt helping either.
Time will tell but it looks like the government's aim of a 40% cut in expediture is deadly serious - some of the cuts we're being asked to look at are quite surprising. Even if only 25% cuts are realised there's going to be a lot more people out of a job. Really hope I'm wrong but I've a horrible feeling things are going to get a lot worse. :(

(Where do I get my award for most gloomy post of the week?)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I heard on the radio today that the over 60's winter fuel allowance may go for a burton.

That's me done for. :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

pre65 wrote:I heard on the radio today that the over 60's winter fuel allowance may go for a burton.

Ouch. Perhaps slightly insensitive given the context?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

simon wrote:
pre65 wrote:I heard on the radio today that the over 60's winter fuel allowance may go for a burton.

Ouch. Perhaps slightly insensitive given the context?
Not sure I understand.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Start stock-piling candles now? :lol:

FWIW I am reminded that back in the mists of time (1975) when some of us art college oiks (or those of us left that had managed to last the course) were about ready to leave for the last time with the ink still damp on our brand new graphic design diplomas, someone happened to mention to us oh by the way, on the national average, for every 1,000 students that qualify there's only 1 job

And the other problem you come up against as a first timer, especially in that trade, was "but we only want experienced"

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Mike H wrote: for every 1,000 students that qualify there's only 1 job
Pity they don't mention that before you go to uni.
Much to learn there is.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

pre65 wrote:
Nick wrote:
With respect, luck is also a big factor. As is right place right time.

Otherwise Chris, you may not realize but to those looking for work, your post could be seen as somewhat offensive.
Hi Chris, those who know your age might forgive a comment like that, but otherwise it could come across as offensive to anyone who has the misfortune to be out of work, for whatever reason.
Point taken. Apologies to anyone that has sat by silently and taken that.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

If we, in the public sector, are supposed to give up our jobs and then go back and work voluntarily, as we are 'all in this together' why dont the bastard politicians give up their salaries and do their jobs voluntarily - that would at least show some spirit of solidarity. Even though, when your personal fortune is £33M or so as is Mr Cameron, it really doesn't mean a thing... but he is not giving up his salary. Aparently at least 23 out of 25 cabinet ministers are at least millionaires - so what do they know about Life?

My job is secure until Christmas and then ...? even the statutory work my team does is not important to a strapped for cash local authority that is being cut back in all fields, not just special educational needs.

And as for the NHS, in five years time it will be all owned by three private companies and if the GPs don't send their patients to these companies who will own the departments, then they will find they are not earning very much money at all. That is better than earning nothing of course and as for a pension, well Ha!

I wonder just how awful it is going to get. Class War!