My Latest and Last Speaker Build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1 My Latest and Last Speaker Build

Post by Toppsy »

Thought I'd share my latest and most likely my last ever build. As things stand I doubt very much I'll be doing any more building speakers and will most likely be selling my back catalogue of builds and just keep my Electrostatics. Perhaps the odd commission build, if the moneys right, - which most times ain't as folk expect them to be built for little more the cost of the materials - or unless someone has a commercial business or partnership offer for me to get enthused about.

Anyway, back to these speakers that any you lot with a modicum of DIY woodworking skills should be able to build. Or perhaps DTB as he is so familiar with the Fonken (mini-Onken) cabinet build method?

I started these a few weeks back now when my Son moved into a flat with a mate and only just finished them recently. I believed I could build something better suited to his music taste than the FE167e + FT17H MLTL's I had in storage for him. Good as tthe MLTL's are, these are better. However, recently his girlfriend has now moved in with him and they have set up house together so he needed the speakers.

As he has most (if not all) his music stored on his Apple Mac I needed a speaker more suited to SS amplification (and modern rock music) and decided as I had 2-pr the Mark Audio Alpair10 driver going spare a nice Fonken-Style floor standing type cabinet might just be ideal. Both Simon and his girlfriend like the looks of my Fonkens.

After a couple emails with DaveD @ Planet10 the new speakers are based on 2 Dave's Mar-Kel10 design http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/F ... 090810.pdf but stacked and merged into a single volume. Adjusted the spacing of the slots, and merged some together - merging the 6 slots/side into 4 slots - and stuck onto a false base. They are skinned in Oak veneer. I believe DaveD will be featuring this design as part of his Plans offerings. However, anyone want a copy my drawing are welcome for a small cost. But it's easy enough to interpolate from the above.

I must say with an old Rotel SS amp (around 25WPC) they sound really good indeed with powerful solid bass and good transient attack. But with Stratmanglers more powerful NAD amp they sound even better. However, for me they sound best with my gm70 monoblocs. With 35W of SET on tap these wee speakers really cut the mustard. They are rock solid performers and go really loud without distorting. Big improvements, to my ears, than my original build FE167e Fonken speakers. They are that good I'm loathing parting with them. But go to their new owner they must and have, and Simon is very pleased indeed with the sound. I'm sure they won't be to everyone's taste as they have a more commercial like sound than the Fostex and really need more power than say a 300b SE amp can deliver to really get the drivers singing. So a resounding success for my retirement build.

Image[/url]
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

OH. That picture does look huge!

Nick, perhaps you edit the photo to make it smaller and better fit the frame of the post?
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Smashin' Colin :!:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

That any better Colin?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Very nice build, Colin. Shame about your retirement from building speakers.

Perhaps the next generation of MA drivers will change your mind...
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

chris661 wrote:Very nice build, Colin. Shame about your retirement from building speakers.

Perhaps the next generation of MA drivers will change your mind...
I don't think its the speakers Chris, its the customers :-(
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

Another excellent build Colin. At some point someone should be smart enuff to anti up.

If we were doing those here for direct sales, they'd be close to $3k (would have EnABLed drivers), not worth doing for any less. (if they were sold thru normal bricks-n-mortar vendors they'd be $10k at least, and it seems from pricing on other stuff in the UK, just sub a pound sign in for the dollar sign)

dave

PS: it is Mar-Ken10 (a Mar-Kel10 would be a Mar-Kel100, and based on a not existant 5 1/4" version of the EL70). BTW: Colin's build inspired me to get at least a 1st draft of plans for these together.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yep they are impressive looking and you wouldn't get that kind of thing for the price of Ikea flatpak :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Yep they are impressive looking and you wouldn't get that kind of thing for the price of Ikea flatpak

Sad thing Mike, is they do really sound all as good as they look. :lol: I am mightly pleased the way these turned out. Only downside I can see to this design is perhaps the cost of the drivers which is over £400 if you factor in shipping costs. Sad fact is, most DIY'ers are not even prepared to pay that much for a pair of complete speakers. :cry: Now if it were for a set of valves and TX's for the next amp ................ :roll: :shock:
At some point someone should be smart enuff to anti up. If we were doing those here for direct sales, they'd be close to $3k
If only one could get that sort of return for one's efforts. Sad fact is I would have only been asking for around £1k or less all-in for these.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Toppsy wrote:......Sad fact is, most DIY'ers are not even prepared to pay that much for a pair of complete speakers. :cry:
.......but TBH Colin that in part is what appealed to me about DIY-HiFi in the first place, the thing about 'DIY' is ... You do it yerself :D

G.C.T.B.I. (Get Colin To Build It) is different altogether! Thats like DIY-lite :lol: (although better made and finished than I can do!).

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

.......but TBH Colin that in part is what appealed to me about DIY-HiFi in the first place, the thing about 'DIY' is ... You do it yerself
I totally agree with you Dave. Perhaps I should have rephrased my comment with something like....." most DIY'ers with the lack of woodworking skills and tools that ask you for a price to build them a pair of speakers ............"
Last edited by Toppsy on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Problem is that DIY is often seen as being 'cheap.' To be sure, it can be. But it can cost a lot too.

I suspect that people sometimes forget that if they take a set of plans to a cabinet maker, it doesn't matter if it's a bed, a sideboard, a dining table or a speaker cabinet: it's a piece of bespoke furniture. And that doesn't come cheap. Nor should it.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Perhaps I should change my dating site advert to read "potential applicants must posses good cabinet making skills" ? :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote:Perhaps I should change my dating site advert to read "potential applicants must posses good cabinet making skills" ? :wink: :lol:
".... in addition to a fully-functioning dust extraction system, table saw and gigantic big boobies".

That should just about do it, I reckon they'd be queuing round the block Phil :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Dave the bass wrote:
That should just about do it, I reckon they'd be queuing round the block Phil :-)

DTB
Blimey ! I would need your help to interview them all. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)