Micro Laptop

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Mo
Old Hand

#1 Micro Laptop

Post by Mo »

This could be just the ticket for controlling a Squeezebox, not badly priced too:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebooks ... -4G-701/p1
ed
retired

Post by ed »

looks like a cracking little machine and I'm sure they will sell their target 700k machines.....BUT I dont think its going to compete with a NAS for running slimserver as you still have to buy the mega disc for the music, and chances are you'll buy a NAS for that and then the ASUS will be redundant all over again......mmmm do I sound like the voice of doom

it looks to be twice the price of a Buffalo machine and about the same as a QNAP....
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

I see what your saying, makes perfect sense. But the problem with NAS is noise, plus the fact the QNAP 109 can only use one 1TB HDD and you cannot add any more external USB drives with it, well thats what the guy at QNAP told me.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Not sure I'm with you on that one Mo.

My NAS is near silent, but as its kept in the attic it really doesn't matter either way. As for 1tb, when I get to that requirement I'll be well past caring...
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

plus the fact the QNAP 109 can only use one 1TB HDD
Any reason why you can't just use two then?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

glad I thought of that one Nick...... :wink:

afaik slim cant work with more than one location at the moment, but there was talk some time back of making this possible........
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

Ed,

True if it's in another room then noise isn't an issue.

Nick,

Cost, the 109's on their own are £200 each.

All my music is on external USB drives. For me daisy chaining them would be the way to go, so from that perspective the asus looks interesting plus the fact it's size help's to log in from anywhere to just read Ed's posts in the Jokes forum has gotta be worth the 200 notes :)
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Awww Mo you're too kind

but seriously it looks like a bargain machine and if youve got music on a USB drive already then thats a whole different VFM thing.....
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

Ed,

Plus the fact it comes with linux and will work ok for just browsing and email uses, I think its not bad for the money.

PS I still like the QNAP 109 a lot.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

afaik slim cant work with more than one location at the moment, but there was talk some time back of making this possible.......
But can't you just mount the second disk so slim doesn't see it as different?

Or am I missing what the server does?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Not sure how you would do that Nick. My share disc is mounted normally but you have to tell slim the actual directory on the interface page(e.g /mnt/music/tunes). There is no provision in the setup for more than one location......

nb : this only relates to v6.2-v6.5....later releases may now have the facility for multiple locations..as I say, they were working on it.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Oh, does everything need to be in the one directory, can't you have sub directories?
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Oh Oh .. apologies I should have made it clear...the location is the top level of the library, you can have as many levels of sub directory underneath...in my case tunes/artist/album/song.flac

slim locates all the music under the top level and indexes in its own way....squeezebox can then either access music via slims indexes or you can walk through your directory structure.....But the point here is that slim is a perl prog and the i/f is via an HTML page which has one field for location of the top level directory.

There is another access via itunes but I havnt the foggiest how that works...
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Thats what I thought, so you could mount the second (and third) disk as part of that subdirectory then?
ed
retired

Post by ed »

I guess, I don't really know, I'm struggling financially to exhaust 300gb on my linkstation..I'm about half way through but when I get there I'll let you know. To fill my existing drive might take another £10k at an average of £10 per album.

But seriously, I'm not sure how I would mount another network drive within an existing mount. how does that work?