A late hello

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
jfs
User

#1 A late hello

Post by jfs »

hi - my name is John and I have been fiddling with hi-fi and basic audiofoolery for some 40 years.
Nothing esoteric I'm afraid, just what I saw as particularly good value for money.
Electronics wise, I couldn't lay egg to bacon but can wire a x/over and with limited but effective woodworking skills have made numerous published loudspeaker designs - some I have regretted disposing of over the years.
My first 'system' consisted of :- BSR mcDonald HT70 turntable and Empire cartridge, Rotel 310 Amp and Wharfedale unit 3 kit loudspeakers - I was thrilled with it.
My present 'system' comprises of :- Goldring GL75 in a cl plinth with a mission 774 arm and Denon dl160 cartridge, Sony CDP 930, Sugden A21a Amp and JR149 speakers supplemented by a BK subwoofer.
I believe that good audio needn't be expensive, its finding what goes with what that can be the expensive part.
My present project is to build a speaker pair designed around the Jordan JX92s drive unit. Silly I know but I have never heard a pair, but got them for half price - well it would be rude not to try wouldn't it.
I hope in the future that I can bring a little to the forum based purely upon experience rather than hearsay. Like most of the contributors on this forum - I have no snob values, so whatever rocks your boat. If it sounds right, then it is right.

Regards

John
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Too late so say Hi, did that already :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jfs
User

Post by jfs »

Thanks Nick, this really does appear to be an incredibly helpful and good natured forum. I hope that I can give as much as I have gleened from it.

John
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Hi and welcome.Nice little amp the Sugden,I have one of the original wooden-sleeve ones that I drag out occasionally.Good for a sand amp.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Hi and welcome.Nice little amp the Sugden,I have one of the original wooden-sleeve ones that I drag out occasionally.Good for a sand amp.
jfs
User

Post by jfs »

Ali Tait wrote:Hi and welcome.Nice little amp the Sugden,I have one of the original wooden-sleeve ones that I drag out occasionally.Good for a sand amp.
Thanks for your welcome ( twice :) ). Like you I have the original - two in fact, but the on/off volume controls are a bit iffy - so I am looking for two switched potentiometers for them. I find them really nice and smooth and probably sweeter than the a21a. I am a class A admirer as you can see.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Nowt wrong with a bit of class A!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Welcome Mr JFS, its good here. Where are you based?
Ali Tait wrote:Nowt wrong with a bit of class A!
You want a bit of class Ali?......... check out mah 50-50 grind from last Sundee..... :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Gnarly!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ali Tait wrote:Gnarly!
Yeah dooode :lol:

DTB
jfs
User

Post by jfs »

[quote="Dave the bass"]Welcome Mr JFS, its good here. Where are you based?

I live in Widnes, a small town that was originally in Lancashire, rejected as an outpost of Merseyside and was adopted ( possibly a sympathetic gesture ) by Cheshire.

Its bang on the M62/M6 corridor so is very good for motorway travel and within 5 miles of the Liverpool airport and approx 25 miles from Manchester Airport.
Just a shame I'm not a jet setter - oh well.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Welcome John.

Members from Cheshire are still a bit thin on the ground. :)
Much to learn there is.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

South of the Thames even more so :-)

DTB
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

There seems to be a conflict here in the last two posts !

DTB and "thin on the ground". :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jfs
User

Post by jfs »

al newall wrote:Welcome John.

Members from Cheshire are still a bit thin on the ground. :)
Hopefully, what we lack in quantity, we can make up for in ------- whoops nearly put my foot in it. :) :)