Laser cutting for Hobbyists

Somewhere to tell us of supplies who go the extra mile, or run away with your dosh.
SimonC
Old Hand

#1 Laser cutting for Hobbyists

Post by SimonC »

A friend of a friend has just set up this company, looks like it could be a useful place to know about:

http://www.shapemonkey.com/

Simon C
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Looks like a really useful service. Wish your mate every success. I can see rows of gleaming amplifier top and front plates.

Long-term, how about investing in a water-jet cutter for all those slate and stainless lovers out there?

Now then, who was it that made a perspex pick-up arm....
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Wow ~ is he going to include aluminium?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

If it's anything like my friend's laser cutter, it won't cut metals, but only etch them with the use of an expensive paste. It is limited to cutting plastics, card, wood, leather, paper, cork, some rubbers depending on colour. It will etch metal and glass too. His only takes 18" square pieces of work - quite small.

It's quite handy for making mock ups of amp top plates before you send them to the manufacturers though. ;)
©2020 Lee
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

Got some answers back from Dave about colours, sizes, metals etc:

Others colours can be offered. We wanted to start with a limited selection and build up after gauging demand but there is a massive selection including smoked, tinted, opal effect, etc in red, blue, green, yellow, ... The image in the "start uploading" area gives a small idea of colours available. If you have something in mind then drop me a line. Depending on what colour you want, there may be a few extra days lead time as they will not necessarily be in stock.

The max size I can offer is approx 400x250mm. If you do want larger sizes that may limit the colour availability but again, if you have something in particular in mind I'll give you a more concrete answer at the time.

The web site won't be offering metals anytime soon. I may be able to farm something out on your behalf though.

Thanks again for the ideas and support. I hope this has answered your questions.

Please keep in touch and I hope to see some orders soon!

Cheers,
Dave
Dr David Taylor
ShapeMonkey.com
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Sounds exactly the same as my mate's machine.
©2020 Lee