Jokes

A place for the funny stuff
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#196 Re: Jokes

Post by jack »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:13 am I did - not much evidence - all opinion.
What evidence do you want? A National Audit Office survey, Mori Poll or similar? All I know is that when I lived and worked in France the folk I worked with, who were mostly intelligent & normally rational (except when being *very* French and waving their arms around), just loved Benny Hill. Something I never understood.

I was working for HP in Ferney-Voltaire, Annecy & Sophia Antipolis. Normally sane people with good taste lost it when our Benny was discussed... they also couldn't get why I found it unpleasant.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#197 Re: Jokes

Post by Mike H »

What have we started now ... Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#198 Re: Jokes

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I well remember the way us snotty grammar school boys used to endlessly wrote Monty Python at each other - hardly representative of 'English people'yet supposedly we were intelligent and rational. Quite a lot of us went to Oxbridge or Sandhurst ( my way in life went shall we say, elsewhere). And it was a long time ago.

Yes some sort of statistical survey may yield more truth than what my French mates in HP thought however many years ago. Maybe they needed to convince you if some decision so thought ah benny hill he is english let's tell the English knigggot we've already got one... and so on.

I was taken aback somewhat when Americans 'loved' Maggie thatcher to me and were amazed how vitriolic and articulate I was that she really was the worst for Britain since ooooo Charles 2nd.

Which brings me onto..... the Falklands war saved Thatcher . The Americans turned the other way rather than bolster up the 'special relationship'. The French gave our naval boffins all the data on how to shoot down exocet missiles ( that they'd sold the Argies) and this was considerable huge help in winning the war. Just saying....

All a big joke eh! Gallows or Gallois humour. Why shouldn't France or most of Europe want our demise when we continue to try to screw them over..... or is it just cutting off our noses to spite our face. If I were French I'd be loving all the damage we continue to inflict on ourselves.

We are so stupid!
How representative is that!?
We deserve Benny Hill and Liz Truss because , as Phil reminds us, we don't do anything about it.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#199 Re: Jokes

Post by jack »

I think that you may be being somewhat over-analytical (or overly anal) about this. The perfidious grenouilles (whom I actually [generally] adore), most certainly love dear old (dead) Benny. Your experience may differ, so we'll just have to agree to disagree (before one of us invades Poland).

I'm not sure about the French taking pleasure in our discomfort - they have more than enough issues of their own to deal with and IMHO it's arrogant to assume that they have much interest in us at all. What I do find amusing is that there seems to be no French word for schadenfreude. Hah! chew on that l'Académie Française! Anyway, I'm Portuguese (when it suits), so don't really care either way.

I am, however, reminded (due to your ramblings about the Falklands/Islas Malvinas tragedy) about the (in)famous Private Eye cover:

falklands-war-cartoon.jpeg
falklands-war-cartoon.jpeg (89.82 KiB) Viewed 6120 times
andrew Ivimey

#200 Re: Jokes

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Who does have an equivalent word for schaeden freude? Gorgeous word. The English don't.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#201 Re: Jokes

Post by IslandPink »

Anyway Benny Hill was excellent at times. Especially in what little TV footage of him I've seen of him from the late 50's and 60's. There was a poem he gave to camera ( with that suppressed smirk, later used much less effectively by Boris ) that had me bent double with laughter, it was something that he rhymed with 'Gareth' that was so clever. I wish I could find it again.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey

#202 Re: Jokes

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh yes and 'anal retentive' or 'anal expulsive' - just saying anal is petty meaningless unless one wants to bring Freud into things and then an answer is necessary rather than just ooooo a cheap joke.

Whadayareckon?

And yes Benny Hill had very witty moments. That's worth remembering but the example above is simply embarrassingly puerile. Even when I was a 'puer' this sort of crap was crap. There is no reason at all why such cannot be on the telly these days except that some of us are horribly embarrassed that ....what can we call it.... 'tits and arse' still get a titter.
Paul Barker

#203 Re: Jokes

Post by Paul Barker »

"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#204 Re: Jokes

Post by pre65 »

A man joins a very exclusive nudist colony. One his first day there he takes off his clothes and starts to wander around. A gorgeous petite blonde walks by, and the man immediately gets an erection. The woman notices his erection, comes over to him and says, Did you call for me? The man replies No; what do you mean? She says, You must be new here. Let me explain. It's a rule here that if you get an erection it implies you called for me. Smiling, she leads him to the side of the swimming pool, lies down on a towel, eagerly pulls him to her and happily lets him have his way with her.

The man continues to explore the colony's facilities. He enters the sauna and as he sits down, he farts. Within minutes a huge, hairy man lumbers out of the steam room toward him, Did you call for me? says the hairy man. No; what do you mean? says the newcomer. You must be new, says the hairy man, it's a rule that if you fart, it implies that you called for me. The huge man easily spins him around, bends him over a bench and has his way with him.

The newcomer staggers back to the colony office, where he is greeted by the smiling, naked receptionist, May I help you? she says. The man yells, Here's my membership card. You can have the key back and you can keep the £500 membership fee. But sir, she replies, you've only been here for a few hours. You haven't had the chance to see all our facilities. The man replies, Listen lady, I'm 68 years old; I only get an erection once a month, but I fart 15 times a day! I'm outta here.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker

#205 Re: Jokes

Post by Paul Barker »

Newmoania [noo-moh-nee-uh]

Whingeing about the introduction of anything new.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#206 Re: Jokes

Post by jack »

128644-Screenshot-20221120-173543.png
128644-Screenshot-20221120-173543.png (221.38 KiB) Viewed 5785 times
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#207 Re: Jokes

Post by Mike H »

Newmoania .. :lol:

-
Ogri The Biker Hero.jpg
Ogri The Biker Hero.jpg (40.19 KiB) Viewed 5764 times

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker

#208 Re: Jokes

Post by Paul Barker »

Paul Barker

#209 Re: Jokes

Post by Paul Barker »

Paul Barker

#210 Re: Jokes

Post by Paul Barker »