Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Max N
Old Hand

#15616 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Max N »

I've ordered that cable tester.
I can't help thinking it's quite a coincidence that a few hours after I hooked up a powerline adapter for the new inverter in the garage, the powerline network stopped working.....and the fault turns out to be a network cable in the house that has been happy for probably 10 years.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15617 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

So, had a chat with the guys doing the site restoration: They've allocated a week, starting Sunday, but are having some materials delivered here in advance.

So far:
  • 10 tonnes 40mm shingle (ordered in error but they'll use it anyway as a sub-base on the drive)
  • 10 tonnes 20mm shingle
  • 10 tonnes MOT Type 1
  • 20 tonnes topsoil
They're trying to match the grass types for the re-seeding part.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15618 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Max N wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:30 am
brig001 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:13 am You can run 100Mbs on two pairs if you can find two pairs that are still ok. Need a cable tester

Brian
Good idea, thanks Brian
Stating the obvious, most likely...

Yes, you "can run 100Mbs on two pairs", but for correct operation it should be the correct two pairs - different pairs have slightly different specs due to the way they're twisted - the distance between each twist (pitch) for each pair is different to minimise crosstalk, but the pitch is not specified in the standards. The termination should be to TIA-568B if you get the pairs working. Obviously, you must use a pair where a pair is needed - you can't have a pair where one cable is from one twist and the other from another.

Note that 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX "only" uses 2 pairs, but if you are using/want 1000BASE-T Ethernet (GbE), then all 4 pairs are needed.

In practice swapping pairs around really shouldn't matter, except the terminations will not be standard (colors wrong) and that may really confuse subsequent folk...
Max N
Old Hand

#15619 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Max N »

I picked up the cable tester from Screwfix (identical model to Nick’s but different branding)
Tested end to end (from the powerline all the way to the cabinet in the loft) and #4 was open. Then tested the in-wall cable on its own, and it checked out OK - big relief. Then tested all other cables and all ok. Put everything back together and all ok!
So I don’t know what the issue was. But very happy with the tester, it made the process very simple.
brig001
Old Hand

#15620 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by brig001 »

There isn’t a tools section, so I’ll put it here

Has anyone got any recommendations for where to buy replacement power tool batteries?
One has gone in my old Hitachi DV18DCL2 and I could do with another

Thanks,
Brian
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15621 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

brig001 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:10 pm There isn’t a tools section, so I’ll put it here

Has anyone got any recommendations for where to buy replacement power tool batteries?
One has gone in my old Hitachi DV18DCL2 and I could do with another.
Don't get a cheapie from Banggood or AliExpress. Dodgy dodgy dodgy...
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#15622 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Hitachi changed the name of their power tools to Hikoki a while back and I think but can't be sure that their 36V and 18V batteries are interchangeable so should work.

I did once buy a replacement battery for a deWalt drill which seemed to work okay and was much cheaper and with higher capacity than an original but hasn't had much use so can't really comment. It was very well reviewed though.
Max N
Old Hand

#15623 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Max N »

See if you can find an adapter that allows you to fit current production batteries from Ryobi or someone to your Hitachi tool. I am planning to do the same to allow me to use my dewalt tools again, after the aftermarket batteries from Amazon died after a few cycles
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#15624 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Paul Barker »

I could say a lot. But I’ll not.

Li batteries and their control circuitry are hugely variable in quality, add to that ignorance of users of how to get long life out of Li batteries.

The only way to get quality batteries is to pay more and buy from the manufacturer.

My batteries are for continuous professional use. I pay through the nose for the best tools and their batteries supplied with them. I can get both cheaper on ebay amazon whatever. But if the battery fails (a habit of Li batteries), due to my trust relationship with the merchants I deal with, such as Woolsley, will swop them no quible. Ive built up that trust over 25 years at least. This extends to anything I buy boilers tools et al.

Gamble if you like or buy where you know you will get actual manifested no quible guarantee. One thing is sure, Li and the circuitry that permits you to use the battery cells, are not impressive whatsoever. Failures are expected.

You can google how to preserve Li batteries. Good luck.

I think there will be many tears shed when people heavy invested in electric cars learn what we tradesmen have found, its a bitter pill.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#15625 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Daniel Quinn »

A battery packing up early in a car is covered under warranty .

A vehicle is not a screw driver .
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#15626 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

There is a battery company near me, who renew the batteries replacing the cells. The cells will be one of two formats, so can easily be replaced by anyone with a soldering iron. The Sanyo cells are the ones I have used in the past.
brig001
Old Hand

#15627 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by brig001 »

Thanks everyone, so I won't buy a cheap Chinese one
I actually have three dead batteries (and one good one), so might be worth seeing if enough of the cells are OK to make one good one. A bit nervous about dismantling them though
I have looked at getting them reconditioned, but no one sees to do Li-ion batteries
I'll read some reviews and keep you updated

Brian
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15628 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

I bought a cheap battery powered spot welder that's just great for making/refurbishing your own batteries. The nickel strips are readily available too as are the cells.

e.g.

You have far more choice and lower prices getting one from Banggood or AliExpress... ironic really...
brig001
Old Hand

#15629 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by brig001 »

Thanks Jack, I'll add that to the list of options
Looks like I'll have to dismantle one to see how it is made
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15630 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

brig001 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:16 pm Thanks Jack, I'll add that to the list of options
Looks like I'll have to dismantle one to see how it is made
Just noticed- the one I referenced comes with the nickel strips - you just cut it to length with scissors.