Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15571 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:18 pm Keep wondering should I get a helping hands ...
Personally, I find I use a blob of blu-tack far more often to temporarily hold something to the workbench to work on rather than using the 3rd (and 4th) hand I treated myself to when I was flush (ha!) many years ago. The magnifying glass has come in handier than I thought it would recently though working on some pcb faults.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15572 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

They're in the garden and will be here for several days as they've decided to run the cable in an underground conduit.

This is complex due to many factors including the location of the new pole in the garden (where the feed comes from), propane, oil & ground source heat pump pipes under the lawn (the GSHP are alkathene so don't show on their pipe detectors)., power to and foul water from the cottage, grey & foul water from the house to the septic tank, power to the septic tank, the old utility feed, power & water to my office etc.

EDIT: Just finished a conference call and looked out of the office windows and they've all gone! Vanished! Not a word! 14:30 and there's no vans, diggers, people or machinery. Just piles of soil and conduit. They dug & backfilled maybe 5 mtrs at best.

Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#15573 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Are they local? If it's say an hour's drive, they have to put stuff away back at the yard, and they finish at 4 then they'd be leaving around 2.30. OTOH Utilities are a pain in the posterior, which you don't need telling!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15574 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Blimey Nick! :shock:
Dave the bass wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:45 pm
Mike H wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:18 pm Keep wondering should I get a helping hands ...
Personally, I find I use a blob of blu-tack far more often to temporarily hold something to the workbench to work on rather than using the 3rd (and 4th) hand I treated myself to when I was flush (ha!) many years ago. The magnifying glass has come in handier than I thought it would recently though working on some pcb faults.
Yep, I've used masking tape to hold down things, heavy pliers or cutters to hold wires still, laccy band wrapped around the handles of long-nosed pliers, that'a good one, I also have a small vice that my dad used for his watch and clock repairing, it clamps to the edge of a table, it's so useful it keeps being used, for all sorts of jobs. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Neal
Shed dweller

#15575 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Ugh, tested positive for covid and the missus. Feeling like crap. I managed to avoid covid (that I’m aware) all during the lock downs and bits in between. Go away for the weekend and bang…
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15576 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Sorry to read that Neal. Get well soon.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15577 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Well I have finally got the 2020 M1 Mac Mini off my nephew. Got it all installed and it's er...fast. Couple of freebies came with it: a bluetooth Magic Keyboard with numeric keypad alongside the QWERTY bit and a Magic Trackpad to go with it.
Nice upgrade.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15578 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:19 am Sorry to read that Neal. Get well soon.
Indeed, hope you don't suffer any complications.

No one seems to wear masks any more. I suppose the "fear" of Covid has gone now.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#15579 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Nothing stopping you from wearing one .
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15580 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:23 pm Nothing stopping you from wearing one .
Obviously. :)

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#15581 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

I am guessing that DQ's point was you don't need to "suppose" why people are not wearing masks when you know exactly why you are not wearing one without making any assumption about other people.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15582 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:07 pm I am guessing that DQ's point was you don't need to "suppose" why people are not wearing masks when you know exactly why you are not wearing one without making any assumption about other people.
Yes.

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15583 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Just found out that the generator we have costs about £600 a week to hire and it's using 80ltrs of diesel a day costing about £800 a week, so £1,400 a week.

We've had the generator for 9 weeks so far and will probably have it for 10 in total, making a cost to UKPN of around £14,000 for just the generator, let alone everything else that's been going on - the multiple teams, the number of false starts, the trenching, burries conduit and cabling on our property, the new pole in the garden, the legal costs, running 3 phase about 500mtrs from the substation to our place and redoing all our neighbours' connections, making good all the ground work and reseeding etc...
Conservatively, I would guess around £50k so far... and nearly all of this could have been avoided. And then there's our Ofgem complaint...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Neal
Shed dweller

#15584 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Starting to feel a bit better, burning throat has just about gone and my head is no longer swimming, sinus still working overtime making snot though….but I’ve developed a heavy chest cough and being Asthmatic I’m a little concerned what it could develop into.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15585 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Despite the love of many things from the past, this is one product I can't believe anyone would want to go back to.

Many of our younger members may not remember this. :)

https://talkingaboutmygeneration.co.uk/ ... et-tissue/

My parents subjected me to this.

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.o ... tory-paper

Edmund Burke