Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14266 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:30 pm What's the latest on the sparking amp? (@ DTB)
Owner chum doesn't want it repaired, though I do. Can't have too many amps around the place!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14267 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Bummer! I wanted closure. :(

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14268 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:59 pm Bummer! I wanted closure. :(
Me too, part of the reason he doesn't want to spend anything on it is because it doesn't have a phono stage so he'll put the dosh into one that does. He bought this on a 'whim'.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ant
Shed dweller

#14269 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

How come this week every little thing is fighting me.

Sunday, went to use petrol hedge trimmers. Refused to start.
Made sure there were no blocked hoses or a blocked fuel filter. No go. Checked for a spark, fine, no start. Fresh fuel, no start. Checked choke was working. No start. Conclusion, wants the carb stripping....... cant get the top cover off as i no longer seem to have the right torx screwdriver that will fit down the holes in the cover....

So borrowed some clippers and did it manually. Handle keeps falling off the borrowed clippers...

Went to start shredding all the clippings, shredder wont start. Checked fuse, fine. The nvr switch wont latch. Balls

So had to manually cut all the clippings and bag them.

Monday. 6.15 am, went online to top up sons bus pass so he can get to school. Website refuses point blank to do anything. So 6.20 went to local shop to get some cash out. Shop opens at 6. Not today it doesnt.
6.25 make a dash for nearest cash machine. 6.45 got a tenner out, ill never see the change from that..... back at 7.05...
7.15, bus driver is a right funny sod because of the note.....

11.15, set off to take the missus for a hospital appointment, consultant is not there when we get there, works in a different location that day apparently, we should have been booked on a different day. So end up waiting around until the consultant comes from the main hospital which is about 7 miles away to see her.
He didnt have to do that, so at least she got seen. But another clerical error to go with the myriad that she has put up with over the last 18 months.....

Son is an arsehole when he gets home....

Tuesday... make an arm board for a customer build lenco, all goes well enough other than constant interruptions slowing every little bit of the job down. Come to fit the arm, and it covers a bolt hole so it cant be fitted.... balls. Cant fit the arm onto the board when it is bolted in because the arm nut is not accessible, and because its an audiomods arm with the micrometer, the arm cant be taken out of the mounting boss without dismantling it. More balls....
The orientation of the board will have to be changed. More work.
Go to make sure it bolts in and sits flush without the arm.........and the bolts are too short.
The bolts i ordered were m4x20 the bolts i got are m4x16.
Ffs........ more bolts ordered.

3pm.... Pick up bmx bike i bought for sons birthday on thursday, and the sodding front tyre goes flat as im riding it back home. Ferchristeffingsake.....

Son is an arse again when he gets home because his brother is on the computer he wants to get on...

Today.

9am Go to bike shop for an inner tube to fix bike. Sign on the door says it is shut until the 18th... fergodsake.

Trek to wilco motosave to get one and pay through the nose. Buy a bike pump at the same time.

10.30 fit inner tube and go to pump it up.
Pump doesnt work. Aaarghfergodsake.
Found a missing seal for the bit that screws onto the valve in the end of the pump handle where it it stored. Which fell out just as i was considering jumping up and down on said pump....

Fit wheel, adjust brakes, take it out and ride it to make sure its safe.
It then immediately throws it down on me. Pleasemakeitallstop.

12pm. Go to start on arm board for another customer lenco. Get ply sheet that i need to cut a ring out of, measurd the thickness, and what is supposed to be 19mm ply is actually 17.2.
Ohferfeckssakewhyisthishappeningtomeivebloodywellhadenough
So it is no use as the board will end up about a mil below the level of the plinth.

I suppose ill have to order something else. Balls.
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ant
Shed dweller

#14270 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

And to cap it all, i now have a broken rotary table.

Chucked up a part in it, went to rotate it to start dialing it in and the bloody thing locked up solid.

Further investigation revealed that the worm gear has bits missing and said missing bits had jammed it up.

This week can sod off

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14271 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

That was almost too painful to read !
Sounds like you need a holiday.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#14272 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Too true!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#14273 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Ant wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:14 pm This week can sod off
I hope you haven't got a WC with a macerator Ant!
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#14274 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

Just finished the Cheshire Circular Trail. A week of 15 mile days - only aliment are my shoulders. I think I need to get a new rucksack, as my 1980’s berghaus cyclops, is too heavy and uncomfortable ( was alright when inter railing, on a 35 year younger body. Interesting countryside close to the Welsh borders, nice to have a long distance trail without styles.
Ant
Shed dweller

#14275 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Well at least my replacement rotary table arrived sharpish, less than 24 hours from ordering it. From Chronos who are usually good like that.
First bit of something nice to happen this week
In another update to the 'things that no longer work in my house this week' saga, yet another failure of something reasonably important. The mouse used with the mac packed up. And I was about to start doing accounts so more money spent.
Already had to delay this as the bloody printer cartridges were empty so that was another expense..... Went and got a cheap 4 quid mouse from the local Poundland. Only place local that sells these sort of things. It's a cheap gaming mouse with all sorts of extra buttons I don't need or understand so that mouse has been plugged into the kids gaming PC and the proper Logitec mouse from that one is going into use with the mac.
The only replacement mouse mat they had was a bloody great big 3 foot by 18 inch job that goes under the keyboard and mouse, so I bought that, cut it down to fit on the small desk their PC sits on and took the small one off there to use with the mac. On the plus side I now have a great big chunk of mousemat to put on the bench when I need to make preamps that will stop the black acrylic tops being scratched

Just waiting for the next problem to solve...

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14276 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

vinylnvalves wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:01 pm Just finished the Cheshire Circular Trail. A week of 15 mile days -
Good effort - I couldn't do that these days.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#14277 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

IslandPink wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:00 pm [quote=vinylnvalves post_id=195867 time=<a href="tel:1652374894">1652374894</a> user_id=1248]
Just finished the Cheshire Circular Trail. A week of 15 mile days -
Good effort - I couldn't do that these days.
[/quote]

I am wondering if I will be able to do it again later in the year again. :( I need a days rest in between days of walking, or we will have to pay for a Sherpa service. I thought the 10 kg I have lost in weight wouldn’t feel any different if I was carrying it on my back... oh how wrong I was..
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14278 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

IslandPink wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:08 pm That was almost too painful to read !
Sounds like you need a holiday.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14279 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Here’s a blast from the past:
04567FB6-5DB1-459E-B7B0-BD39E14C7351.jpeg
04567FB6-5DB1-459E-B7B0-BD39E14C7351.jpeg (98.7 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
I built this Rocky in 2007 as a 50th birthday present for my mate Clive.
15 years later it came back for repair after failing on one channel (cathode resistor on one output valve had gone high) It is back in action now after I replaced both of them, and soaking to make sure it stays working.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
shane
Social outcast

#14280 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.