Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#15406 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Yep, but that's the problem I now have (its my problem, no doubt about that) I just find them depressing not funny, they may be accurate observations about what goes on, but funny? No. But the cartoon hasn't changed, just me. The paradigm one in particular I find upsetting as there are so many words that could now be inserted into that and it would still work in the same way.

The "problem with"/"great thing about" "the world"/"this place"/"life today" is X

Ok can you describe what X is

Starts ranting about something else or generally deflecting and never answering the question or getting close to defining X

I guess my real frustration with Dilbert is while the main character is described as the most intelligent and rational in the story, he only ever does stupid self destructive things and never seems to notice the way the world actually works and why he consistently fails in it. The only character in it that seems to have found a workable solution to the repeating hell that their life consists of is Wally and that's by redefining failure as success.

The same lack of self awareness that Dilbert shows, seems to be a copy of Scott Adams behavior after the rise of Trump.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#15407 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

memory playing tricks on me again...

I have a vague memory that the first time I saw dilbert was in magazine called datalink, a weekly news magazine for programmers and analysts in the late seventies. I recall it being funny at the time.

maybe I've got my time line confused, anybody comment?

edit: please ignore my ramblings....dilbert didn't appear until 1989 and i was reading datalink at least 10 yesr previous to that....

mea culpa
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
steve s
Shed dweller

#15408 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

An admission on my behalf is not knowing what Dilbert was, I had look it up.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15409 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I'm away for a short week at the oldest and best holiday village in the UK, at Hopton on sea.

It's a bowls week, and we lost our first match this morning, hoping for better luck for match 2 at 15:20.

The wi-fi has improved since our last visit so it's easier to keep in touch with the outside world. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ant
Shed dweller

#15410 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Got a little streaming thingy about a week ago called a WiiM mini.
Tiny little thing, about 3 inches across, like a little hockey puck. It'll connect to loads of streaming services and with its own app it'll supposedly play stuff off a nas. I havent got a nas.
The app itself can be used to play stuff from streaming services or the streaming service app can be used in some cases, eg tidal which uses tidal connect.
It is connected to my topping e30 dac via optical and it'll apparently stream up to 24/192 files but not dsd.
It has its own internal dac and analog outs via a 3.5mm jack, and interestingly an analog in that it converts to digital and spits out via the analog out so it can be used as pre of sorts
Power is the ubiquitous phone charger and a micro usb cable, same as the topping dac although i have a linear supply for that which i cant use with this because of the jack.
They are 89 quid new which is not to be sniffed at.
Ive played some of the same bits and pieces off cds and the streamer (both connected to the dac) and i cant really tell much difference between it and the cyrus cd player.
Re hi res files, i dont have any so i cant compare between it and a laptop or pc.

Very good for something so cheap.

I did have some issues with tidal connect playback stuttering and/or buffering but that seems to have resolved itself by resetting the router which is itself a pain in the arse alot of the time, but other than that its been quite painless and easy to use.

Link for anyone interested

https://audiogold.co.uk/product/wiim-mini-streamer/
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
ed
retired

#15411 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

I checked out the link and the description but it's silent on the internet radio stream front.....

can it stream internet radio?
Ant
Shed dweller

#15412 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

In the service list in the app it has an option called open network stream which allows you to add a url so it looks like it does allow you to do that.
It has bbc radio, iheart radio, calm radio, radio paradise and an option called vtuner which appears to have a load of stations in it.
If you have a url for a radio station i can try it and see?

Ant
Shed dweller

#15413 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Edit. Just found TuneIn in the list too with loads on stations on it

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15414 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Ant wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:08 pm Edit. Just found TuneIn in the list too with loads on stations on it
Fwiw, the BBC are stopping allowing others to stream its content - they are currently injecting warning messages about the switch off date to BBC radio internet streams, advising you to use BBC sounds going forward - about once an hour at the moment.

Thus a large part of the reason for having my Pure Evoke workshop radio (which I really like) will go out if the window.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Neal
Shed dweller

#15415 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Not much consolation, there is a plug-in 2 needed in fact for LMS that will allow BBC streams to be played…

https://forums.slimdevices.com/forum/us ... n-sb-radio
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
ed
retired

#15416 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

to date I've been using the bbc player in LMS.
I've just installed BBC sounds to the LMS after reading that link. I've got my fingers crossed.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15417 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Neal wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:21 am Not much consolation, there is a plug-in 2 needed in fact for LMS that will allow BBC streams to be played…

https://forums.slimdevices.com/forum/us ... n-sb-radio
Understood - the issue is that the Beeb are withdrawing all feed supply to third parties, i.e. if you want Beeb channels, BBC Sounds will be the only way.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
shane
Social outcast

#15418 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

As time goes by I find myself liking LMS more and more. I have it running on a couple of Raspberry Pis and it always seems to do everything I want. BBC sounds works well.

The only exception is that there’s no plug-in for IDAGIO, but I guess nothing’s ever completely perfect.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
ed
retired

#15419 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

whoop!!
finally got bbc sounds into LMS...much adjusting and rebooting there was...but it works
I've removed Iplayer entries from the menu , assuming they are the links soon to be dropped...

happy bunny here...even got disc images and graphics on radio 3 which I don't remember seeing previously.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#15420 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Downloaded and installed KiCad 7 to my desktop and getting it sorted out so that it's ready to go for the next project. I have to say, much as I love it, the library management protocol is terrible, especially if you are trying to configure it to be usable with a cloud drive across more than one device.

Basically, if I'm creating a schematic on the desktop and I need to make a new custom symbol / footprint for it, I want that new symbol to go to the cloud along with my project, and then be able to open that schematic on the laptop without the bloody thing whinging about not being able to find the component I created on the desktop.

Which is fine, I've got all the paths defined to my iCloud drive and placed all the component and footprint libraries there, and told it where they were. Job done, you would think, but no - it keeps track of the content of those libraries on two locally stored tables that you can't change the location of. So if you add a symbol on the desktop, the desktop will know about it but the laptop won't.

With both machines being Apple, I *think* I've got around it by moving the two table files to the cloud drive and creating symbolic links to them from their fixed local location in terminal. Yet to test if it all hangs together because I've got to upgrade the OSX version running on the laptop first. But what a faff.

The main reason for upgrading was to try out Spice simulation, as KiCad now integrates ngspice. It's a bit tedious laying something out in LTSpice for testing, and then having to manually copy it into KiCad to build the actual PCB, plus there's always scope for errors that way.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets