Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15646 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

shane wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:22 pm
jack wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:44 am When you first mentioned this, I was determined to set it up. Damn. Another project. More standby power...
Dead simple to set up. Assuming you’ve got a spare pi, you just need one of these

UGREEN USB Sound Card, USB to...

And one of these in a suitable housing. I used the body of a fancy rca plug.

https://micbooster.com/microphone-capsu ... em272.html

All about it here: https://github.com/mcguirepr89/BirdNET-Pi
So no preamp? I note that they do that capsule in a moulded case as lapel mic with a TRS connector. How did you wire the capsule?
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
shane
Social outcast

#15647 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

The Ugreen device powers the mic without needing a pre-amp, but the choice of mic is important as this one seems to be lower noise than most similar ones. I followed this setup:

https://github.com/mcguirepr89/BirdNET- ... nt-2180372
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15648 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Thought I'd try a different type of queen in a couple of my hives....

PXL_20230603_074855946_copy_756x1008.jpg
PXL_20230603_074855946_copy_756x1008.jpg (231.75 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#15649 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

I understand a good queen (one that's passive to promote a calm hive) isn't cheap?
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15650 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

simon wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:54 am I understand a good queen (one that's passive to promote a calm hive) isn't cheap?
There's a lot of definitions of a "good queen": fecund, calm, suited to the local (micro)climate disease resistant, not prone to swarming, long lived, good honey crop, good progeny, good over wintering, progeny don't follow beekeeper etc.

There's two bits to the genetics of the offspring: 50% is known (from the queen) and 50% from the drones (males). If it's an AI queen, we know the characteristics of the drones, so AI queens are expensive. If it's a naturally mated queen, you don't know anything about the genetics of the several drones she will have mated with (could be drones from one or several other colonies). The two queens I bought are UK strains (Buckfast-ish !) but mated on the continent. Think hen party in Ibiza..

Depending on the strain, I normally pay £30-50 for a naturally mated queen from known good queen producers and maybe 100-175 for an AI queen. There's lots of strains to choose from ...

I normally produce my own queens but sometimes it's important to introduce an extra bit of genetic variability into your stock
Ant
Shed dweller

#15651 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Just fitted a goldring 2300 cart wot i got off our steve (thanks steve) onto the lenco in place of the at 750sh. It will go on the jvc, but i wanted to try it on the lenco aswell. Nice cart, nice sound, but can someone tell me why manufacturers make cart bodies without a bloody straight line on them? What an absolute pain in the arse to set up, there are practically no straight reference lines on the damned thing, the rounded body is practically devoid of any useful reference surfaces.
It baffles me. Ideally for me a cart would be angular not rounded. Cant even tape a pencil lead to it as a setup aid because there isnt anything to reference the pencil lead to...
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Nick
Site Admin

#15652 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

A line will lull you into a false sense of accuracy. The line will never be related to where the cantilever and stylus is which is th eonly datum that will actually matter.

That's my view anyway...
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#15653 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

Ant, the cantilever is massive on that cartridge, should be easy to line up with a mirrored protractor. The DV17D2 that was a nightmare as the cantilever was so short. But I agree it’s not square, at least it has threaded holes, so the nuts don’t drop off when your fiddling about.
Ant
Shed dweller

#15654 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Yes thats what i reverted to instead of using the feickert jig. That one isnt a stevenson one which i would have preferred but it is fine anyway
At least you can see the canteliver unlike the audio technica with its stupid great big overhang at the front
The dv is the easiest one i have because its blocky but also open on the front so you can get it nearly there quickly and then dial it in easily. Shame the damned thing has taken a whack
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#15655 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by izzy wizzy »

Had a first (for me). The case of an HT dropper resistor, a green welwyn 7W, touched the heatsink on my Lehanne DHT reg which is live. Happened because my construction was poor. R was fed with 230V. Heard some buzzing, blue smoke appeared and then pop, amp stopped working. Fearing the worse, went to bed pissed off that I'd blown the DHT reg.

Next day, much to my surprise, DHT reg still worked but Welwyn WW was open circuit. How the reg survived but the resistor didn't is amazing and not what normally happens when HT meets LV solid state. Very lucky.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15656 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

:D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
brig001
Old Hand

#15657 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by brig001 »

In New York City and got some face masks because of the pollution here. Found these and they’re breathable! I didn’t know that they made un-breathable ones
IMG_5142.jpeg
IMG_5142.jpeg (248.79 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#15658 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Fibreglass free too, that's a bonus!
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#15659 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Apparently Canada is on fire.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15660 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:17 pm Apparently Canada is on fire.
Scary. Some years ago, we used to live in Singapore and sometimes didn't see the sun for weeks on end as it was constantly obscured by smoke from forest fires in Kalimantan. Everyone wore facemasks and everything got covered in ash. Breathing problems were rife and folk with asthma or similar had a dreadful time - many just couldn't go outside.

These sorts of events are grim, not just for humans but also for livestock and wildlife generally. Land/crops gets polluted too...