Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15601 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

The whole episode is really quite extraordinary ...

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15602 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:12 am The whole episode is really quite extraordinary ...
Worth a TV mini series.

de Smith saga ? :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#15603 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

It will have made a dent in the profits of the electricity company…. They will never recoup those costs from your bills :D
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15604 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

It's not quite over. They still have to make good the bloody awful mess they've made of the lawns and drive during the trenching and pole-planting episodes. There's a lot of grading, topsoil & re-seeding on the grass then a lorryload or so of 20mm shingle for the drive...

Probably some other stuff too...

My conservative estimate for this farago is about £50k.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#15605 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Daniel Quinn »

A drop in the ocean of Thier profits .
ed
retired

#15606 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

biblical rain here...

in the last 30 mins we've had 15mm..at one point for 5 minutes it was coming at 38mm per hour.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Max N
Old Hand

#15607 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Max N »

Looking for some advice please.
We've just had some solar panels fitted to our garage roof. I didn't realise that we would need a network connection (for the inverter?). To get up and running I put a powerline adapter in the garage. It's kind of working, but the speed is very slow. The main problem is that it seems to have affected the other powerline adapters. The other adapters report a good connection speed, but devices connected to them have either no internet or very very slow.

I am thinking about installing some sort of bridge or point to point device between the house and the garage. Could anyone recommend something? There is line of sight, and the garage is about 17m from the house. Any suggestions?
Nick
Site Admin

#15608 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Do all the powerline adapters think they are part of the same network? If not they may be seeing each other as interference. I did have a search to see if there was any high power mains filters out there that you could use to prevent the two sets of powerline networks from seeing each other but there was nothing obvious out there.

Not an answer to your question as I have not used any of the point to point wifi adapters that are probably the best solution to your problem. I think "Jack" has though, so he will probably have more info.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Max N
Old Hand

#15609 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Max N »

Thanks Nick. There is an app for the powerline devices, and it is showing all 3 devices are on the same network. There is one in the lounge which is the 'hub', one in a bedroom which is showing 460 Bit/s, and the one in the garage which is showing 40MBit/s.
Devices connected to the bedroom one report no internet connection....while the app is simultaneously reporting a very healthy connection

They have a power save mode, which I've disabled for now
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#15610 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

They were never supposed to work very well on different ring mains, though I never seemed to have much of a problem. Maybe they're better now, or maybe the 17m distance is an issue?
Max N
Old Hand

#15611 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Max N »

Aaargh
Apologies, false alarm. The ISP router at the front of the house is connected to the middle of the house by a pair of ethernet cables. (I was only able to retro fit in-wall cabling to a couple of places in the house). One of those cables has decided to stop working. It happened to be the cable which connected the powerline network to the wired ethernet network. I just assumed that a sudden problem with the powerline network would be a powerline issue! Never assume!

With hindsight - powerline network reporting good connection speed, but no internet on one of the adapters. Step 1 - check for internet on another adapter. I didn't think to do this....

So now I need to find the issue with the in-wall cable.....

Time will tell if the 40Mbit/s powerline connector is robust enough
brig001
Old Hand

#15612 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by brig001 »

You can run 100Mbs on two pairs if you can find two pairs that are still ok. Need a cable tester

Brian
Nick
Site Admin

#15613 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

I used one of these to check the cable when I wired in the new office here (and just moved the other end last week in advance of getting rid of the old office/shed)

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Max N
Old Hand

#15614 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Max N »

simon wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:45 am They were never supposed to work very well on different ring mains, though I never seemed to have much of a problem. Maybe they're better now, or maybe the 17m distance is an issue?
That signal actually has to go from the lounge socket to the house consumer unit, through the cable from the house CU to the garage CU (probably about 30m), then to the wall sockets in the garage.
So probably not surprising that it's slow.
Max N
Old Hand

#15615 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Max N »

brig001 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:13 am You can run 100Mbs on two pairs if you can find two pairs that are still ok. Need a cable tester

Brian
Good idea, thanks Brian
Nick wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:21 am I used one of these to check the cable when I wired in the new office here (and just moved the other end last week in advance of getting rid of the old office/shed)

I'll take a look, thanks Nick