Hello from Somerset!

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
theoldtrout
User

#1 Hello from Somerset!

Post by theoldtrout »

Hello to all from Somerset! I hope I am able to make a worthwhile contribution and to pass on my experience of many failures and a few successes; also I'm always interested in new ideas - and old ones. I've been building amplifiers and loudspeaker systems on and off most of my life and have a penchant for anything with valves. I have worked mainly in the electronics industry and started my career designing and developing equipment for use in science education. As far as audio stuff goes, I'm just a bungling amateur but enjoy experimenting, in particular with valve power amplifier topology.

Over the years I've owned various Garrard, Thorens and Rega turntables, Radford ST12, STA15 and STA25 amplifiers as well as Quad and Leak amps [and some Japanese amps] Loudspeakers from Radford, Kef, Celestion and Tannoy to name a few.

My current modest setup: Rega P3, Denon DL110, Rega Planet CD, home built passive pre-amp with valve phono stage [currently being modified again], home built power amp [UL EL34's] home made TL loudspeakers very similar to Bailey/Chris Rogers, cables are home made using good quality parts. I also have what was a high end Technics amp, a Radford HD250 amp, a Nytech 252 tuner-amp [given to me by Arthur Radford] a Tascam 32B reel to reel, an Aiwa cassette deck, a Rotel fm tuner, also a DAB tuner that only gets used to listen to the comedy hour on BBC Radio7!

Music: huge LP collection mainly Jazz, Opera and orchestral, and a couple of hundred CD's and tapes.

Some of you may know me from diyaudio and the Vintage Wireless forum. Sorry this is a long introduction.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi there, and welcome.

Looks like you will be at home here. :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi and welcome to audio talk :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
DaveK
User

Post by DaveK »

Welcome old trout from the old fart (comments from others are not required, please note !! :D ). Nice to see you on here - you'll certainly get a warmer welcome on this forum than another forum I could mention :wink: ). Their loss is our gain and you may also meet some old friends - I do hope so.
This forum has made me feel very welcome and I'm more than certain they'll do the same for you
I'm sure we'll 'talk' again, meanwhile, get stuck in and enjoy the forum, it's a great place to be.
Cheers,
DaveK
Cheers,
Dave.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Hi Angela,
Glad you made it across. :)
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Welcome
DaveK
User

Post by DaveK »

Hello Angela (and ths may be of interest to Ali and possiby a few others :wink: )
I have been lurking on another forum over the last few days, monitoring the Audiofoolery thread started by Angela and contributed to by Ali on ocassions. This thread has now closed so the fun is over. There is a lot I could say about the kerfuffle over there but, to avoid any accusations flying Nick's way, I'll limit myself to saying Ali was one of the few members over there being reasonable - well done mate, you kept your end up and kept you cool whilst few others could claim to have done the same.
Angela, you may find it amusing to read the thread from start to finish, with a nice glass of red in your hand tonight.
Nick, if this post breaches any of your basic requirements, feel free to pull it, I have no wish to precipitate a further diatribe from anyone.
Cheers,
Dave.
Marco
User

Post by Marco »

What blinkered clap-trap from a proven troll! S'ok we've sussed you at it again! :wink:

If you're in later I'll give you a call and we can talk about why you feel the need to keep going where you're not wanted, and perhaps if you suffer from some kind of medical condition :knob:

Marco.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Heigh-ho. Here we go again...
Marco
User

Post by Marco »

Hi Shane,

Well Dave K has been caught red-handed trolling yet again (sigh!) on AoS this time as 'mercury1'.

He's learned to use the process of hiding his IP address Nick told him how to do the last time this, erm, 'situation' raised its head.

I actually feel quite sorry for the old bugger as he must be very lonely to keep on trying to go where he isn't wanted.... :(

Marco.
Last edited by Marco on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Oh for fucks sake, don't people have anything interesting to do...
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Marco
User

Post by Marco »

Obviously Dave K doesn't, Nick. I'm just trying to run my audio forum in peace as usual, preferably without Dave K wasting my time 8)

Marco.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Fine, could I ask you to extend us the same courtesy here? If you are only reading here looking for transgressions then I would rather you stopped.

Yes, you could (and I expect you will) view DaveK's post as provocative, but come on, what is the point, we don't care, he doesn't care, so just leave it, please?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Marco
User

Post by Marco »

No problem, Nick. I've successfully 'outed' him, so job done :lol:

He needs help, though!

Catch you later,
Marco.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Funny how all those people who troll, make offensive remarks and commit other heinous transgressions on AOS on;y seem to want to talk about hifi here.