Best place to buy tubes?

Somewhere to tell us of supplies who go the extra mile, or run away with your dosh.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Knew it was summat like! :D
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Greg wrote:It's a recent proper build WD Kel84 with some tweaking already done. I love the sound this amp produces and how it punches well above it's weight. I don't need it but like it sufficiently to want to play with it for a while :D I'm sure you know what I mean :wink:
Capable little thing the EL84, there's a popular guitar amp type that uses it (AX84? Or summat, it's on the net)

Despite criticisms that it's a bit too hot for noval type pins, supposed to interfere with getting a good contact or summat. Anyway for an output type it has good gain, in fact my uncle's got an old record player (or did have) that uses one, that's all there is in it, one EL84 does the lot from cartridge to speaker.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

You may be thinking of the VOX AC30, famous amp. I had one years ago, it used to catch fire, think one of the rectifier sockets had carbonised., but I to this day can't understand why I never tried to stop it doing it. Guess I had my Muso head on then not the electrician one.

To my horror I realize I have absolutely no idea what happened to it, bit of a haze over that part of the 80's :-(
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
PeteC
Old Hand

Post by PeteC »

.....and the EL84 featured in what is probably one of the best guitar amps of all time - the legendary Marshall 18watt.
I got so excited about its EL84 distortion ( intentional ! ) tone after reading Michael Doyle's book ( History of Marshall ) that I built 2 18watt clones - its one of my absolute fave geetarr amps. ( bit OT there....)

for tubes ebay is pretty good, though hit and miss - I just found a supplier in Lithuania who supplied the best price on 6N1P-EVs and had fast delivery.

I used to like to use Jim Fish in Huddersfield but gather he has retired and sold all his stock onto Langrex or Chelmer or someone....

Watford Valves are pretty good too.

Rgds
Pete
Life is two shirts
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Ok peeps, thanks for input :D

Seems to me E-Bay is fave for sourcing valves so I'll cop a few from there.

And I've just remembered I probably have some spare valves, certainly some EL84's, stored in a pink Walls ice cream tub wrapped in tissues, stored in my lockup.

They are, I believe, in a large ex-GLC flightcase with other components. Now all I have to do is find them as the flightcase(s) are buried under tons of other junk.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Nick wrote:You may be thinking of the VOX AC30, famous amp.
No I wasn't. :D Sorry

It were this:

http://www.totallymartin.com/ax84/ (just one of zillions of examples I expect)

There's a forum for it as well, ax84.com

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Ah yes Walls ice cream tubs are brilliant for storing valves in. Well handy :D

Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

This is the place your thinking of Mike http://www.ax84.com/ I've just the lead version using 2 ecc83 and a el34 which has 2 gain stages and a power stage it sounds really good with sounds from clean to heavily over driven and everything in between.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yes that's the place!

I know about it already, LOL

Yes it's obviously a tres useful bit of kit is that :D

floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Went down me lockup today and despite rearranging stuff so I could reach two big flight cases I did not find any valves :( Disappointing.

However, I did find oodles of crap I'd forgotten I had including a rather large number of big relays, bases and cases, a big toroidal that I have no idea of voltage or current rating (does have an ILP stock # though), lots of parts to make up vga leads and some turntable bits.

Nowt of value really but just out of interest here's some pix of those parts. These are probably destined for the dumper apart from the styli and carts so if anybody wants anything here, just shout and sorry but DTB gets first dibs cos e's me mate innee?

Although I doubt anybody wants anything here. I do think that's a Lenco headshell though.

DTB may remember this stuff from when we used to fix stuff for the GLC.

Here de pix:

Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

floppybootstomp wrote:.... DTB gets first dibs cos e's me mate innee?

DTB may remember this stuff from when we used to fix stuff for the GLC.
We's best budz inits :lol:

Oooo, the memories are fooding back of Jack in stores with the DT's and a strange herby overtones emanating from the garage under the railway arch...!

Those labels, awww, more memories
:D

The Lenco counterweight I could problee use Tone if thats OK.

The cartridge slides and idlers I think are from various SP25's the schools used to have, along with the MM Shure and Goldring Carts. The twist n lock centre spindles are from cheapo Garrards too IIRC.

You could try anything with 'Garrard' written on it on't eBay. Raise a few quid for a boys night out :wink:

Dust bug = Static maker :lol:

Cheers for first dibs.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"