Best place to buy tubes?

Somewhere to tell us of supplies who go the extra mile, or run away with your dosh.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

#1 Best place to buy tubes?

Post by floppybootstomp »

As per the title, can anybody here recommend a supplier, online or otherwise, that sell valves for a reasonable price?

It occurred to me that when one of my valves dies, I'll be without music so figure it's a good idea to buy some spares.

My amp has EL84's; EF86's and ECC83's.

I have one spare EF86 at present which I bought from Watford Valves but I seem to recall they seemed expensive.

I'm in Greenwich, SE London and if there's a supplier within travelling distance this would be good.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Personally I usually try to give Chelmer Valve Co. first refusal, only cos A. they used to supply Maplin, so kind of a loyalty thing, used to know the guy that ran it a bit (Harry Rosenbaum) B. sort of just up the road from me, well sort of near Chelmsford but they moved recently. Oh I know out in the sticks, Snatchingdon or somesuch, North East Essex.

Not to say they're the best deal though but have been useful for the odd obsoletes and NOS originals.

http://www.chelmervalve.co.uk/

They usually mail order no problem, dunno about visits, not tried it

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Mike H wrote:Personally I usually try to give Chelmer Valve Co. first refusal, only cos A. they used to supply Maplin, so kind of a loyalty thing, used to know the guy that ran it a bit (Harry Rosenbaum) B. sort of just up the road from me, well sort of near Chelmsford but they moved recently. Oh I know out in the sticks, Snatchingdon or somesuch, North East Essex.

Not to say they're the best deal though but have been useful for the odd obsoletes and NOS originals.

http://www.chelmervalve.co.uk/

They usually mail order no problem, dunno about visits, not tried it

Just tried them, you have to request a quote online but the service seemed to crash on me.

Also when I typed in 'EL84' I received a choice of around 20 different types which is kind of confusing. And then at a later stage I was asked to select a preferred manufacturer. I have not a clue who's good and who isn't.

Still, thanks for the recommendation. I asked here instead of Googling as I think it's best if people recommend a supplier they've had good service and value from.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I've used eBay a lot Tone, EL84 and ECC83 have got to be some of the most common valves around. Millions to choose from.

If you post a 'wanted' ad in the buying/selling section here on this forum there might be a couple of folk with some to spare. Might be worth a try?

I've picked up quite a few bits and bobs from fella's here.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

I dont have so many el84's but i have loads of ecc83 and ef86

pm me if you are interested
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

^^^There ya go Tony! :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Langrex have nos Philips el84's.I bought a set for my kel and they were very good.Dunno how they stqack up against Mullard et al,but certainly cheaper.You will probably find JJ's on the bay.They're ok too.There is also that Russian equivalent-is it 6b4q? Cheap as chips on ebay.Dunno what they're like,but cheap as chips.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

6P14 is the Russian EL84.
The ones with the EV suffix are meant to be the best.
I've got some on the way, so i'll let you know if they're any good when i get em.
Much to learn there is.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Cheers Al,I had a senior moment! :)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

floppybootstomp wrote:Just tried them, you have to request a quote online but the service seemed to crash on me. .... I have not a clue who's good and who isn't.
Ah, see, should've mentioned, I hardly use that I always e-mail 'em. Then you have to go by manufacturer's names. Or price, depending on which has priority. First thing is to establish whether they've actually got it

Try cherie@chelmervalve.co.uk , just ask what makes EL84's they've got. And prices

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Al,

If you've made an ebay buy, please can you post the link, or post any link I could look at? I've recently purchaced an EL84 amp.

Regards,

Greg
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

What amp have you purchased Greg?
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

It's a recent proper build WD Kel84 with some tweaking already done. I love the sound this amp produces and how it punches well above it's weight. I don't need it but like it sufficiently to want to play with it for a while :D I'm sure you know what I mean :wink:
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Indeed! I had one for a while myself for pretty much the same reason-jus coz I could! So-how does it compare to the Best Amp In The World??? :D
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Greg.

This is where i ordered mine from. But there are others.

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/TUBE-USSR__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Can't comment on the seller or the tubes until they arrive. Not the best time of year to buy from abroad.

Ali Tait wrote:There is also that Russian equivalent-is it 6b4q? Cheap as chips on ebay.Dunno what they're like,but cheap as chips.
Its a 6bq5, so you weren't far off. :)

Wishing everyone a better year than 2009.
Unless of course, you are amongst the minority of people who had a particularly wonderful year anyway.
Last edited by al newall on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Much to learn there is.