FE126 mini monitor.

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 FE126 mini monitor.

Post by pre65 »

Following on from the success of the "routing project" which had a 4" Sony car speaker I was wondering about something a little bigger with a FE126 driver. The FE126 is favourite cos I might still do Saburos in the future.

The little computer speakers don't sound too bad even in the "big" room, although they need a few watts to make them sing.

Any suggestions ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

How abot a pair of these. Nice and easy for you to hone your building skills Monopole FE-126 ML-Voigt http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthre ... ost1143794

EDIT
Here is a link to the plans for this speaker design. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachme ... -voigt.gif
Attachments
diyref-fe126e-ml-voigt.gif
diyref-fe126e-ml-voigt.gif (7.16 KiB) Viewed 14949 times
Last edited by Toppsy on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Thanks for that Colin, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of.

Edmund Burke

Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Phil,

Not much out therte for the little FE126 mostly for the FE127.

But if you fancy something a little more challenging why not try a pair the original Frugal-horns? Lots of Levels to go for starting with Level 0 through Level 2b. http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/F ... 130307.pdf
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Here is the Fostex designed cabs for this driver. No doubt Scott will be able to comment on the merits, or not, of any the designs suggested.

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/fostexcabs/fe126e_encl.pdf
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

deleted
Last edited by Scottmoose on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

Toppsy wrote:Here is the Fostex designed cabs for this driver. No doubt Scott will be able to comment on the merits, or not, of any the designs suggested.
We built those. They burn nicely.

dave
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
chrisby
User

Post by chrisby »

planet10 wrote:
Toppsy wrote:Here is the Fostex designed cabs for this driver. No doubt Scott will be able to comment on the merits, or not, of any the designs suggested.
We built those. They burn nicely.

dave
A very disjointed and distractingly coloured speaker box indeed - certainly for my sensibilities did not bring out the best of the intended driver. To paraphrase a couple of comments of Dave's from the session described below, "they just don't sound as at ease with the flow of the music" "you can definitely hear the box more"

Dave & I spent a few hours yesterday afternoon listening to a trio of "somewhat similiar" BLH designs for the FE126E, in preparation for a group session in a couple of weeks. Without revealing our "conclusions", any of these would be a better candidate than the Fostex design. As a matter of record, this is at least the 3rd Fostex "recommended" design that doesn't measure up for me to any number of open-source plans.

One of the group is a retail product, and the others are DIY builds, plans of which are readily accessible at the FH website. (specifically, the Frugalhorn/level 1, and the Buschhorn MKI, modified to fit the FE126E )

Neither of the DIY designs are particularly difficult builds - if you don't mind cheating with an air powered brad nailer, and have a decent table saw, you could probably blast a pair together in less than a day. Furniture grade finishing will take much longer than that. Just don't scrimp and use MDF.

As I've yet to hear a pair of Saburos, or whatever newer design Scott might have up his sleeve for the FE126E, my favorite enclosure for this driver running solo ( as in no powered woofer, or OB configuration like the MJK project) would have to be Ron Clarke's A126. This is only a slightly more complicated build than the BH MKI or FH, as the curved rear mouth is definitely not cosmetic, and the bracing of internal angled panels benefits from mitered rather than 90deg joints.
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

chrisby wrote: whatever newer design Scott might have up his sleeve for the FE126E
If anyone is interested in being a guniea pig, Scott has come up with an elagantly simple candidate for FH MK II, and i could get useful drawings done pretty quickly.

Instead of trying to get max bass out of the driver, given that any horn of this size will give short shrift to the mouth size required, it is purposely tuned fairly high (that just gave me an idea for using the big void in it :))

dave
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Chris, it sounds like you have a lot of interesting knowledge about using the 126. You should share it with us rather than tantalise! :)

OTOH, the notion of adding a sub bass thing with Subaros! Nah, that's silly! You really would not want any more bass with these speakers.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

[quote="andrew Ivimey"]Chris, it sounds like you have a lot of interesting knowledge about using the 126. You should share it with us rather than tantalise! :)

Yeah ! Spill the beanz man. :wink:

I also would be interested to hear about this new speaker. :lol:

Edmund Burke

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

...and I've got saws and hammers and clamps and stuff and everything....!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Dave the bass wrote:...and I've got saws and hammers and clamps and stuff and everything....!

DTB
Yep me two I've got the FE126s still in there box's just waiting for a set off frugal horns or something 8) :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
chrisby
User

Post by chrisby »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Chris, it sounds like you have a lot of interesting knowledge about using the 126. You should share it with us rather than tantalise! :)

OTOH, the notion of adding a sub bass thing with Subaros! Nah, that's silly! You really would not want any more bass with these speakers.

I think Dave is referring to adding woofer to the smaller Frugael 8) -Horn II (or whatever name it finally receives)

Scott & Dave's scribblings are probably not quite ready for prime-time, (hint, hint) but are based on the assumption of foregoing attempts to squeeze deepest ripple-free bass extension from a small enclosure for the FE126E.

The several iterations of prototype sketches I've seen so far encompass a range of few different ideas for the actually geometry, but the most distinguishing feature is probably the reduced number of folds.

I don't know that anyone could have more "knowledge" about using the FE126 than the fabricator of an award winning commercial product might have, but it could be possible to say that being a DIY hacker, and not constrained by the commitment to finalized design, I've had the experience of hearing the driver in a wide range of interesting enclosure designs - and still at that, not all extant or emergent.

However, what I do know is what I like; of the permutations I've heard so far, the A126 design is the most musical, dynamic, and detailed, yet least coloured of the bunch. Standard caveats apply - I haven't heard all the possible designs, and of course amplifier synergy, my room, my lifetime aural matrix - how's that for non-committal?