removing warps from LPs :?:

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1 removing warps from LPs :?:

Post by Toppsy »

Just got back from my hols and being starved of quality music I have spent most of today playing old records through the gm70 amp.

An old favourite LP from has developed a small warp on the outside of the disc such that it is impossible to play the first two tracks on either side. :cry: This LP has been stored upright in a aluminium LP carry case.

My question is does anyone know a way of removing such warps from LPs without causing permanent damage to the recording?

I do have a heat gun from my aeromodeeling days used for heat shrinking covering material. Anyone tried using a heat gun and then holding down the rim of the disc until it is cooled to remove warps?

Colin
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Hi Colin

Can't think of any way to remedy the damage, but a clamp with a felt washer (a la Michell) might sufficiently flatten the outer edge of the disc to at least permit it to be played.

This site covers the problem http://members.aol.com/clctrmania/cm-unwarp.html , but,as is stated, every suggestion is covered by the phrase "at your own risk".

Chris :)
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Colin,

Chris's link looks good. I would expect your suggestions to be extreme and will probably do damage. Certainly you may flatten the disc but it will probably be unpayable based on my experience. I've not had to do it for a while. but I've been successful with the LP between paper between two sheets of glass over a low heat appliance such as the top of my very old Ideal floor standing central heating boiler. Leave for a few hours, remove and leave to cool for more hours and you might get a good result. This has worked well for me but I also have had some failures so you'll need to trial and hope. The main thing I would say is that anything that invovles intense heat IME is a non starter.

Best wishes,

Greg
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I've heard of this trick before, but leaving the offending disc between two sheets of glass in the winter sun.

cheers,

-- Andrew
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Chris,

some useful and interesting info on your link, Thanks. :wink:

Greg,

Thanks for this tip. :wink: I like the idea of this method and will try this next the central heating boiler gets fired up.

I'll let you know how successful I am.

Regards

Colin
Andy831
User

Post by Andy831 »

Toppsy wrote:Chris,

some useful and interesting info on your link, Thanks. :wink:

Greg,

Thanks for this tip. :wink: I like the idea of this method and will try this next the central heating boiler gets fired up.

I'll let you know how successful I am.

Regards

Colin
Interesting topic and something I think we all have suffered with at some point in our vinyl collecting lives....... So the boiler must now be fired up by now Colin, so was it a success?

Regards

Andy
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Andy,

Sorry nothing to report back yest. I must confess to not having got around to this. I was sidetracked with other DIY builds and must admit to forgetting about the LP since this post.

I'll locate the dics tonight and put the 'treatment to test'

Colin
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

OK guys,

I tried Gregs suggestion of placing the LP between two sheets of 10mm thick glass with kitchen roll between disc and glass and placed on top my floor standing boiler. Left it there for 2-days.

Last night I removed it and placed the sandwich in a cool place for an hour. Yes the warp has reduced but not completely gone and the LP is still unplayable due the warp.

So it was a partial success and would work if the warp in small. Me thinks this LP is doomed the recyling bin.

Colin
Andy831
User

Post by Andy831 »

Just a thought Colin

As the album seems destined for landfill, why not try gentle heat with the heatgun before despatch? who knows it might just save it.

Andy
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Just a thought, but how about a bit more weight?

-- Andrew
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Andy,

tried this after the boiler cooking experiment as I have a heat gun from my aeromodelling days for heat shrinking solarfilm and the like. But didn't post because i think I added to the problem. :oops:

Andrew,

I did add additional weight to the glass sandwich during the 'cooking' phase and also the cooling. The warp was quite excesive in two parts on the rim quite close each other to the extent it threw my arm off from the disc when attempting to play. Quite how this deleveloped in the first place I don't know. It was stored vertically in an aluminium case with around 50-other LPs. Though the warp is now much reduced it still causes a nasty thump when the stylus travels over the two ridges. I treasure my cartridge more than the disc so I'm afraid it will be consigned to the recycle dump.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

As I say this would work if the warp is not too excessive.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I'd get out the iron!

if it goes flat it goes flat But seriously, when I accidently subjected a box of reconrds to a good heating, even the unwarped ones produced a chunk of noise everytime the needle went over the damaged (though not to the naked eye)part of the LPs
Andy831
User

Post by Andy831 »

Toppsy wrote:Andy,

tried this after the boiler cooking experiment as I have a heat gun from my aeromodelling days for heat shrinking solarfilm and the like. But didn't post because i think I added to the problem. :oops:
:lol:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

A bit OT but I've just had a (flat thankfully) John Martyn LP delivered today in a huge great Dorito's box :lol: I dunno if the seller was on some form of medication but luckily it got here safe and sound.

Must have been the 4 protective Sainsbury's carrier bags that stopped any damage :shock: :roll:

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Darren received a valve from USA once in plain brown envelope, not even a Jiffy Bag, and it was fine.