Upgrading to SqueezeCenter

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 Upgrading to SqueezeCenter

Post by simon »

Now then chaps, I'm looking for some guidance and reassurance from those in the know!

I've just bought a Squeezebox Duet to go with my SB3 but it won't recognise my QNAP NAS drive. Looking around it seems the Duet only works with SqueezeCenter, not SlimServer which came pre-installed on the QNAP.

So it looks like I'm going to have to update the QNAP, but I'm not sure what to expect or how to do it, and I'm more than a little concerned I'm going to turn it into a very expensive brick :cry:. I'm currently backing up my music (just in case) and downloading SC 7.3.2. I'm hoping when the download is complete it'll tell me what to do with it but can someone be so kind as to give me an idiot's guide of how I get it on the QNAP? Please assume I have no knowledge of how to do this!

Thanks,
Simon.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

arf! I don't uinderstand a word, Simon.

I hope someone else out there does!
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hi Simon.

I think the Linux guys will probably need to chime in here. I can't really see it being a drag and drop installation.

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Have your tried the SD forums? Seems to be a number of threads including this mammoth one!

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... eezecenter

Some instructions on p34, not sure if they are applicable t o your setup.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Page 34? Oh crap!

Now I remember why I bought the QNAP with SlimServer pre-installed. I'll be back in about a week, but whether I'll understand any of it...
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

BTW, thanks for the link Neal, and the legwork. I can see this is going to be a bit of a trial.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

I found this link on the QNAP site which might be some use?
http://www.qnap.com/pro_application.asp?ap_id=71

And here's flipflip's website:
http://oinkzwurgl.org/ssods

This looks promising, though it's the wrong time of day to be making much sense of it.

Y'know, I thought our resident experts were having a private joke at the rest of our expenses - but it seems not, it looks like it might be for real chaps :shock: :wink:.
kuroguy
User

Post by kuroguy »

Check out the forums over at nas-central.org. The guys on those forums arfe pretty helpful.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Thanks kuroguy, I'll check it out.

I just got this beauty back for QNAP technical support:

We understand your concern.
Whilst the current upgrade shall not cause any harm to the data,it is
always a good virtue to backup your data.
You would see the QPKG option in the [Administration]--[System Tools]
after upgrade.
(I'd also like to remind you writing in a working DNS server in
[Network Setting] for the QPKG page to run smoothly)
And then you may follow the page for installation of SSOTS.

Hope you enjoy the multimedia experience the 109 brings!

I think what he means is if I upgrade the TS109 firmware the QPKG option will appear. Then I can upgrade using SSOTS. But what all this DNS stuff is I don't know, but it sounds important...
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

If you don't know your current DNS server address, and you are using DHCP to give you a IP address for your PC, and you are using windows, a

ipconfig /all

will show your DNS server provided by your ISP.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Wikipedia is my friend (I hope!)

DNS - Domain Name System. A system for converting "real world" named descriptors into the XXX.XXX.XXX.XX format IP address.

DHCP - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. A bit of software that allocates configuration information for devices operating in an Internet Protocol network.

Opening a DOS window and ipconfiging all I've got the Host Name and IP address for the main PC. I also know the IP address for the modem router (Default Gateway?) which is the same as the DHCP Server and DNS Servers.

But I'm not sure to do with this? Aren't I interested in the IP address of the NAS drive as that's what I want to play with?
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Hi Simon

I was going to post earlier that ipconfig might give you the address of your modem/gateway...its common enough

its a while since I've been messing with computers but....if you google " 'your isp' dns server address " you should get your dns address

if you put the line:

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

into file /etc/resolv.conf

on your qnap, where xxx is the address of your isp dns then you might get somewhere........

all at your own risk....I'm not familiar with the qnap but it works for other linux servers on a LAN with standard modem/router setup.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Hey Ed,

Thanks.

I know all the IP addresses of the bits of stuff on my network, but the SSOTS install doesn't refer to it at any point. Which is why I was curious that QNAP tech support referred to it. I guess the fact that I don't "get" this bit says a lot!

Anyway, I've updated the QNAP firmware - at the second attempt when I downloaded the upgrade from a different server as the menus didn't work properly with the first...

Then installed the QPGK okay.

Then ran SSOTS to install SqueezeCenter. "Start"ing to load SqueezeCenter up works okay (reports so anyway), but MySQL won't start. Clicking on the link to SC returns an error, presumably because MySQL hasn't started. Guess I need to go and find out what MySQL is/does next.

And some folk reckon that setting up a 103 is painful!
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

I'd rather work on a DL103 anytime in comparison with your experiences....and I hate that bloody cartridge :wink:
kuroguy
User

Post by kuroguy »

mysql is the database that squeezecenter uses. there should be a startup script in one of the subdirectories of /etc. Maybe init.d/mysqld.