The Quackery Thread

Subjects that don't have their own home
Morgan Jones
User

#346 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by Morgan Jones »

Could be right, too. I do like a nice bit of physics.

However, when I visited a lab in a desert (low humidity, doncher know), we were instructed to wear cotton only because of the static problems. This was fine for me because as commented by a friend, "Sartorial and elegance are just words to you", and I wore my usual dashing outfit of jeans and cotton T-shirt. My point being that in my usual clobber, I probably wasn't charging myself on the Fester's seat.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#347 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by jack »

Morgan Jones wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:05 pm Could be right, too. I do like a nice bit of physics.

However, when I visited a lab in a desert (low humidity, doncher know), we were instructed to wear cotton only because of the static problems. This was fine for me because as commented by a friend, "Sartorial and elegance are just words to you", and I wore my usual dashing outfit of jeans and cotton T-shirt. My point being that in my usual clobber, I probably wasn't charging myself on the Fester's seat.
I spent several years messing around in deserts and never had a problem with static. At work, in the server and Comms rooms, the raised floors were all slightly conductive like a giant anti-static mat; for each floor, every support pillar (there were many many 100s) was individually connected to a star ground.

Something else to remember is that deserts have a relative humidity around 20% and can be much higher at dawn - the nights can be quite cold - down to a couple of degrees C. We camped a lot and mornings could be very chilly first thing.

My Jeep, Stoffel and my blue tent on the left. Sun rising over the Northern Hajar in Mussendam.

IMG-20181124-WA0044.jpg
IMG-20181124-WA0044.jpg (78.91 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Morgan Jones
User

#348 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by Morgan Jones »

Nice picture. I didn't measure it myself, but I was told that RH was typically near zero and that it caused a lot of problems. Perhaps the techies just enjoyed winding up the suits by insisting on cotton. Got zapped a lot in the BBC Wood Norton canteen. Everyone quickly learned not to touch the pillars supporting the ropes delineating the queue in front of the serving counter.
shane
Social outcast

#349 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by shane »

So, in the interests of scientific research and the furtherance of knowledge I just put my trusty Fluke multimeter across one of the tyres of my Honda Civic, and can report that a Continental PremiumContact6 shows no sign whatsoever of being conductive. Hmm.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#350 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Strange coincidence! I'm leaving Fes tomorrow for a long drive over the High Atlas to the beginnings of the Sahara ... there to enjoy the bloody camels and sleeping out under the stars. I've slept in various deserts in very different places and at different times of the year. I'm still thinking that hot/cold is relative and have never yet been really cold. Just before the dawn can be nippy and one o'clock in the afternoon the blazing sun can vaporise eggs but, we'll see. This time I have a comfortable 4 seasons sleeping bag and a big warm hat. Breakfast is provided with no need to distil the morning dew for a revitalising cuppa.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#351 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by Nick »

have never yet been really cold.
If you have never been, I can thoroughly recommend Iceland.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#352 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:24 pm
Iceland's a doddle! Lovely as it is (we really like it), it's not that cold... Try spending a winter in Newfoundland and Labrador - we hit -40C (before windchill) in Labrador which I remember well as it's the same in Fahrenheit (-40F = -40C = 233K). A good trick was throwing a cup full of hot water into the air - it came down as snow. Oddly, it didn't feel that cold which made it all the more dangerous.
andrew Ivimey

#353 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by andrew Ivimey »

A couple of weeks ago on Holkham Sands ( special import of freezing wind straight from Siberia) was more than too cold for me - Today in the sun was 16 degrees - delightful.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#354 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh and that pair of wkx blackgates have not yet been snapped up at £1976 - not that I imply quackery, goodness me.
Nick
Site Admin

#355 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by Nick »

jack wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:35 pm
Nick wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:24 pm
Iceland's a doddle! Lovely as it is (we really like it), it's not that cold... Try spending a winter in Newfoundland and Labrador - we hit -40C (before windchill) in Labrador which I remember well as it's the same in Fahrenheit (-40F = -40C = 233K). A good trick was throwing a cup full of hot water into the air - it came down as snow. Oddly, it didn't feel that cold which made it all the more dangerous.
Oh, I wasn't trying to have a cold competition, I was just suggesting somewhere cold that was nice to Andrew.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

#356 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Thanks Nick - much appreciated! 😉
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#357 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by Dave the bass »

Our local Iceland has got a few -20 Freezers but it didn't seem that cold in there to me.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#358 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by The Stratmangler »

Dave the bass wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:56 pm Our local Iceland has got a few -20 Freezers but it didn't seem that cold in there to me.
Wot you doin' in the freezers?
You shouldn't be climb into the freezers - they is for pizzas and other foody things :lol:
Chris :happy3:
andrew Ivimey

#359 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by andrew Ivimey »

10% off on a Tuesday for OAPs. They never ask my age - why not?
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#360 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by jack »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:30 pm 10% off on a Tuesday for OAPs. They never ask my age - why not?
...or as a replacement for HRT therapy - moderate those hot flushes...

Back in the day when I was working in the City of London, in the Summer, the data centre staff used to charge a quid for 5 minutes in front of the chillers - they'd rip any moisture right off you and leave you and your clothes bone dry - the money went into a charity pot. At the end of the summer, we used to have several hundred quid, which we'd then get matched via The Big Give, thus doubling the amount that finally went to the charity.