Glasshouse TVC pre amp

What people are working on at the moment
david C
Old Hand

#1 Glasshouse TVC pre amp

Post by david C »

this has been something of a long term project, so many wires so much soldering fiddly connections, all shoehorned into a small case, I never want to do that again,

now to run it in and see what it's like :)
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Since I started using mine (different version from Promtheus Audio- and no soldering to do - hooray!) a few months ago, David, I have used nothing else. I am surprised, very pleased and can't really see me going back to an active preamp.

I think you will find the same. TVCs are rather special.

The only drawback, I suppose, is of you can't drive enough through to the power amp to do justice etc. I haven't found this a prob. though ... yet.

Anyway, if you've finished all that tedious and painstaking soldering, well done!

On with the music ... I found there was a noticeable improvement after a couple of hours. Now, as I said, I use it all the time.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

C'mon Dave, where the piccies.......

cheers,

-- Andrew
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

sorry too late,
I've boxed it all up now,
even that was an epic, I had to put it in a clamp to get the screw holes to line up :roll:
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

I agree with you Andrew I,
I've been using it for a few hours now and the sound is very addictive, no more one note bass and very detailed overall, not slow either something that is leveled at them

a good move I think, worth all the hassle
David

Ian
User

Post by Ian »

hi David :wink:

nice sexy gal

one way you can get a bit more drive is actually use a single triode gain stage after the TVC, so you can get a bit of both worlds.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

The other way (which I intend to do with Daves AVC's) is to use a buffer stage infront of the TX's, the step down nature means they will drive the line ok if they are driven with a low source impedance. And it also avoids problems with the source not being able to drive the TX well enough.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

We tried this with my S&B's using Nick's buffer at Nick's. I thought it was certainly better with the buffer before than after.

cheers,

-- Andrew
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

Ian wrote:hi David :wink:

nice sexy gal

one way you can get a bit more drive is actually use a single triode gain stage after the TVC, so you can get a bit of both worlds.
yep Scarlett's a fine woman
David

david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

Andrew wrote:We tried this with my S&B's using Nick's buffer at Nick's. I thought it was certainly better with the buffer before than after.

cheers,

-- Andrew
Hi Andrew
what did the buffer do to the sound?,
did you get the best of both worlds?
David

Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Hi David,

Nick has monoblocks next to his speakers so needs to use long interconnects this makes a difficult load for a source compoment as it has to drive both the TVC and the long interconnects.

I thought, the buffer increased the PRAT and improved bass and treble as it was able to drive the TVC & long interconnects better.

cheers,

-- Andrew