Sakuma inspired headphone amp

For anything about cans, and the amplifiers that drive them
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Blummin 'eck. Sure beats my ideas of an Aikido using 6H30s, well at least it does on size.

Reminiscent of Stephen's (izzywizzy) 813 push pull amp I believe you had to walk around it to work on it :shock:

-- Andrew
Last edited by Andrew on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Interesting thing I have found tonight, connecting headphones the big problem was noise (white) not hum as I expected, and the source of noise seems to be the DC heater supply for the first 211. I have added a hum pot which lets me null it a bit, but it will need a better solution. So I need a heater supply that sounds good, and is quieter than a tent labs supply. (and does 10v @ 3.25A)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

So its broadband noise produced by the regs in the tent supply?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Probably not related at all but I found when I was playing around with the Aikido headphone amp that listening with headphones I was a aware of all sorts of sound issues that I don't think I would have been with an amp used through speakers. There seems to be something very "dialled in" about headphones.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Andrew wrote:So its broadband noise produced by the regs in the tent supply?
I can only assume so, it nulls in the same way as AC would.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Have you 'scoped it? Will it filter out with a low pass filter? I tried a cap multiiplier of the LCR and I think it has improved things but that might screw up the Tent modules, I haven't studied the circuit on those things.

Just random late night thoughts....

-- Andrew
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Andrew wrote:Have you 'scoped it? Will it filter out with a low pass filter? I tried a cap multiiplier of the LCR and I think it has improved things but that might screw up the Tent modules, I haven't studied the circuit on those things.

Just random late night thoughts....

-- Andrew
I have been having similar thoughts. I was wondering about a choke or too as well.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Did you mean a CLC supply and not use the Tent modules, or a ferrites to knock out the HF? Both came to my mind.

-- Andrew
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Hmm, both also. I was also thinking aboiut a seres VR followed by a emmiter follower, then a choke in each lead.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Of course VR valves have their own tuppence of noise too, but tameable, surely!
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Of course VR valves have their own tuppence of noise too, but tameable, surely!
I think Nick meant a series reg LM317 type thingy, but I'm not certain.

-- Andrew
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

My mistake I meand VR = voltage reg, I was thinking of a three pin reg, then the VBE to reduce noise.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

yeah that might do it! I just like the flashy glow! - nb, I too have a pair of 866s glowing nicely in the wings!